Statistically what went wrong last night

Block920

Apr 13, 2006
for starters 35 % shooting 20% 3pt and only 65% from the line this isn't coaching this is the players in my opinion FTA lost us the game 15(ISU) 25(KSU). Brackins not a good game for him around 25% shooting 5 3pt attempts no makes however 9 rebounds is good compared to the next closest bryan peterson with 6 hamilton solid game could grab a few more boards and maybe have the ball a little more 4 shot attempts brackins 20 shot attempts. Going only 7 deep is not going to win games don't mean to be negative but this game for both sides was horrible we need to be more team oriented two guys don't win a game against a team that mainly uses 4 guys this is the problem that we have two guys can't win especially if one of them consistently has his shot blocked all the time and always expects it to be blocked. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
65-50.

No big inside, inconsistent/dependency on 3 point shooting, turnovers, poor FT shooting, no depth past 3 players.

See, I didn't blame McD.

This all added to another loss.

CarpPar

Jan 18, 2009
Ankeny
At one point in the first half we were 8/16 from the field, mid point in the second half, 9/32. Can't win much with that kind of shooting.

Piggypen6

Dec 12, 2008
Florence, AL
It's also not like these kids don't have talent. They just don't bring it all the time. I would not put this all on the coach. There is only so much he can do. The players have to bring it.

iowast_nate

Jan 22, 2008
Davenport
They settled for low percentage shots. The shooting percentages aren't tied to coaching, but when there might be better shots available and you settle for tougher options those stats will be where they are. Greg has to rectify that.
Let's get away from the fade aways, deep 2-pointers and contested 3's and trade them for power post moves at the defender and the basket and let's be stronger when finishing layups. Give our guards open 3's and we have seen them make more than they miss.
More rebounds would help and we all know we need to get to the FT line a hell of a lot more than we do.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
It's also not like these kids don't have talent. They just don't bring it all the time. I would not put this all on the coach. There is only so much he can do. The players have to bring it.

I hate to say it, but I feel like we are playing to our level of competition...maybe it's a home/road thing. Anyway, we play terrible in the winnable games...Just difficult to understand.

clonewell

Apr 11, 2006
Statistics help determine your strength and weaknesses. Our biggest problem is we are not a strong team at the guard position. When they put on defensive pressure on our guards we struggle. Our guards are not quick enough to penetrate or chose not to penetrate and dish off. I'm not saying our players don't work hard, I'm saying they are limited on their skills and are doing the best they can. Until we get quicker guards with great ball handling skills we will continue to struggle at that position.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Statistics help determine your strength and weaknesses. Our biggest problem is we are not a strong team at the guard position. When they put on defensive pressure on our guards we struggle. Our guards are not quick enough to penetrate or chose not to penetrate and dish off. I'm not saying our players don't work hard, I'm saying they are limited on their skills and are doing the best they can. Until we get quicker guards with great ball handling skills we will continue to struggle at that position.

Definitely agree with this...We've been able to go big against...KU, OU, Houston...All games we've played well.

We just get pushed so far from the basket and then settle for a jump shot against guards that are up in our shorts.

Any thoughts on Buckley's minutes?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
If he starts playing better, he should get more minutes.

I ask because against teams that their strength is in there gaurds...Why don't we just go with two point guards. Nothing against Petey and/or Lucca, but we would get a lot quicker...Maybe rebounding becomes an issue (but it was already an issue last night).

rburgess

Feb 8, 2007
We should have brought Lucca back in during the first half when he had two fouls. As bad as our offense turned after he went out, it was worth the risk to do it, rather than sitting him forever. We had serious momentum and we let it go in favor of sitting our best shooter most of the half.

Still, the gameplan was good and we should have won the game. Diante was doing some good things again, but can't make a shot from anywhere on the court. Sadly, that was true for the rest of the team (other than VB).

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa

Exactly how I would describe the problem. It's hard to depend on a 3 guard offense when you have zero Big 12 guards on the roster. Garrett and Staiger may have marginal major college skills, but the have Jr. High attitude. Peterson has mid major skills and Big 12 attitude. If we are competitive next year it will be because Colvin, Christopherson, and Gillstrap took over the outside

rburgess

Feb 8, 2007
I ask because against teams that their strength is in there gaurds...Why don't we just go with two point guards. Nothing against Petey and/or Lucca, but we would get a lot quicker...Maybe rebounding becomes an issue (but it was already an issue last night).

Yeah, we don't want to lose our second best rebounder in Petey...

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
Three seniors on the roster: all walk-ons
One junior on the roster: first year from juco
The three main players are sophomores: Craig, Diante, Lucca

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, it's not like McD is responsible for bringing in the talent or anything....

Or responsible for good shot selection, ball movement, clock management, teaching proper rebounding, blocking out, or player execution and mental readiness. Nope, pretty much just all players.

Coach is like a CEO... he plays a part in all of it and should be influencing every part of it.

I still support Greg... and actually think I am seeing some signs of improvement, but to say coaching is not part of the reason we are not playing well and not winning winnable games is plain ignorance.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Or responsible for good shot selection, ball movement, clock management, teaching proper rebounding, blocking out, or player execution and mental readiness. Nope, pretty much just all players.

Coach is like a CEO... he plays a part in all of it and should be influencing every part of it.

I still support Greg... and actually think I am seeing some signs of improvement, but to say coaching is not part of the reason we are not playing well and not winning winnable games is plain ignorance.

Not rebounding on a free throw...seriously, it is the only job you have when the opponent is on the line. Down 4 with the ball...instead down 6 and CB has 4 fouls. Just little things like that, that are killing us.