Sports cards

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'm sure a lot of you collected as a kid. Some of you (nerds!! :) ) still might collect them... So lets talk sports cards. I'm gonna start it off with my favorite card from when I was a kid. Not sure why, but I still laugh every time I see this.

4832766516_7a56a8fddf.jpg

Reactions: mb7299 and Acylum

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville
I collect and sell baseball cards. Make about $10,000 / year doing it. Work about 8 hrs. / week. Mostly prospecting Bowman baseball but base Topps is still usually a money maker. I might be the only person in the world to have pulled 3 Bowman Chrome Superfractor autos.

Reactions: demoncore1031

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was never into collecting cards but my brother was big time. When we were teenagers he got me a Michael Jordan Fleer rookie card for Xmas because I was a huge MJ fan. Cost him a few bucks.

1986-87-Fleer-Basketball-Michael-Jordan-Real-1-215x300.jpg

If only it were mint.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I might be the only person in the world to have pulled 3 Bowman Chrome Superfractor autos.

No offense intended but...

This is what is wrong with sports cards now. I have no clue what you just said. Baseball cards (and other sports cards) used to be so simple and fun. The business side ruined it. Kids can't collect cards because packs are $2.99 for five cards.

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville

This is what is wrong with sports cards now. I have no clue what you just said. Baseball cards (and other sports cards) used to be so simple and fun. The business side ruined it. Kids can't collect cards because packs are $2.99 for five cards.

Bowman Chrome superfractors are prospect autographed cards that are #'d 1/1.

I still collect and have fun. I have cards sorted and put on my shelf that I will never touch. Some have little value to anyone but me.

I just have found a way to make my collections profitable. Allows me to feed my collecting habit more.

As far as cost, base Topps continue to be inexpensive and simple. Insert cards and parallels add value.

Card collecting is as simple or difficult as you choose to make it.

• Winner
Reactions: C.A.H.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I collect primarily vintage cards. Mostly 50s and 60s. Love the older cards. New stuff (post 1986) does nothing for me.
Talking baseball only.

Favorite cards are 52 Topps Mays and 54 Topps Aaron rookie

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

More then $2.99. And its very confusing. Store bought cards suck as collectors and business folk actually bring in a scale and weight the packs. The special packs weigh more. Its a joke.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm sure a lot of you collected as a kid. Some of you (nerds!! :) ) still might collect them... So lets talk sports cards. I'm gonna start it off with my favorite card from when I was a kid. Not sure why, but I still laugh every time I see this.

4832766516_7a56a8fddf.jpg

‘87 Topps was the last great year of baseball cards. Still have the unopened complete set.

Reactions: SC Cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I collected basketball cards in the 90's and have a bunch stored that one of these days I ought to get out and check a price catalog to see what some are worth. I've always figured the longer I hold onto them the more valuable some of them will probably get. I have some Jordan cards that I would assume have some value by now. I have a Dr J card - not sure if it was his rookie card maybe but when I was following card prices I had bought it for much less than it's value at the time. I remember when Shaq was a rookie everyone was trying to get one of his cards.

I probably blew a lot of money back in junior high and high school on cards but it was always fun taking your cards to school and trying to make a trade with another classmate. Kids these days probably will never get into the card hobby like some of us did as kids. Seemed like there was a card shop in just about every town in the 80's and 90's but now it's hard to find any open as it's probably not too profitable now.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
More then $2.99. And its very confusing. Store bought cards suck as collectors and business folk actually bring in a scale and weight the packs. The special packs weigh more. Its a joke.

Any store owner that allows someone to weigh the pack before buying is an idiot.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I've got a few thousand cards that are sitting in my old closet at my parent's house. I doubt they'll ever be worth a whole lot, but now I want to remember to bring them home and go through them again. If nothing else I do want to pick out my favorites and make a few wall displays.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
I have a closet full of cards, starting line action figures, Chiefs & Royals stuff, Iowa State Stuff, and misc sports stuff. A good portion are autographed. Tony Gonzalez, Gale Sayers, Ron Santo, Fridge Perry, Paul Hornung, Bucky Dent and I dont remember it all. I went to collectors shows around the midwest. My favorite had George Brett, Goose Gossage and Tim McCelland the 3 figures from the Pine Tar homer. It got put in a closet 10 years ago when we moved and hasnt been touched since. I need to sell the stuff off before we move the next time. IMG_20171105_22571.jpg

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I have a good number of binders with quite a few cards, but mostly just of favorite players and teams (Giants, A's, Twins). When I see a card show at the mall, I'll go and see who has the 'dump bins' of commons for 10 cents or a quarter each and pick out the people I want. I guess I go for the quantity over the quality when it comes to these. There is no expected "value" in what I collect (though some are numbered, but very few), but I simply like to have them. The most I have of any players are Matt Williams and Craig Biggio - both with over 250 unique cards.

My favorite care is a Jim Thome 'Topps Screen Plays.' It's not a hologram, and it has virtually zero printed information on it other than what I just mentioned. But it shows him hitting a home run. As you tilt the card forward and back, you can see the pitch coming in, connecting with his bat and leaving the 'frame.' So cool! The image doesn't show up on internet photos and I couldn't find the exact card I have anyway. There IS a youtube video of a Jeter Screen Play card that gives an idea. Wish they'd done more of these that year.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
I have a closet full of cards, starting line action figures, Chiefs & Royals stuff, Iowa State Stuff, and misc sports stuff. A good portion are autographed. Tony Gonzalez, Gale Sayers, Ron Santo, Fridge Perry, Paul Hornung, Bucky Dent and I dont remember it all. I went to collectors shows around the midwest. My favorite had George Brett, Goose Gossage and Tim McCelland the 3 figures from the Pine Tar homer. It got put in a closet 10 years ago when we moved and hasnt been touched since. I need to sell the stuff off before we move the next time. View attachment 51542
Post on here a sale time, maybe during the Baylor game. Have a watch party while dozens of CF people rummage through your belongings. A. You get rid of it = happy wife. B. You make some money. C. You're with other good people. D. Cyclone fans get fun things, while drinking, and watching the clones.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron