Sounds like APD ought to get the checkbook out

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If I'm reading that correctly, the old lady threw a cup of water at the officer. That is assult, like it or not. Not saying he took the right measures, but he was justified, from terms of the law.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
If I'm reading that correctly, the old lady threw a cup of water at the officer. That is assult, like it or not. Not saying he took the right measures, but he was justified, from terms of the law.

Next time I throw a cup at someone, I'll expect to have my shoulder broken. :jimlad:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Yes, nothing at all excessive about the amount of force used here :jimlad:

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN

I'm not a lawyer, but from my experiences, courts and the legal system in general place a lot of importance on actions taken compared to what a "reasaonable" person would have/should have done. It's not only the letter of the law that is important, but a comparison to what's reasonable.

I know "reasonable" is very subjective, but I believe it is a very strong consideration in most court cases like these.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
"Her right shoulder and upper arm were fractured." Way to go! You showed her who's boss! Damn 84-year old woman. I hear those women born in 1925 are troublemakers.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I would have knocked over her wheelchair and pee'd in her denture cup. It would all be reasonable.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm not a lawyer, but from my experiences, courts and the legal system in general place a lot of importance on actions taken compared to what a "reasaonable" person would have/should have done. It's not only the letter of the law that is important, but a comparison to what's reasonable.

I know "reasonable" is very subjective, but I believe it is a very strong consideration in most court cases like these.

I agree. Who knows how it actually went down at this point. The media loves to over exaggerate things.

Least amount of force necessary does ring a bell, however. He'll probably get a slap on the wrist and told to go to his room and think about what he's done and that will be that.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Next time I throw a cup at someone, I'll expect to have my shoulder broken. :jimlad:
Or induce a melee in a Detroit basketball arena where fans think they have a chance at clocking basketball players on the court who work out for a living..... Malice at the Palace baby! :smile:

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA

The cop shouldn't have been in the house in the first place. She's no danger to others, and if she wants to die a miserable death at home that's her choice. She overreacted throwing the cup of water, but if she gets to tell her story to a jury the APD will have to write a huge check.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
The cop shouldn't have been in the house in the first place. She's no danger to others, and if she wants to die a miserable death at home that's her choice. She overreacted throwing the cup of water, but if she gets to tell her story to a jury the APD will have to write a huge check.
So he should have just told her daughter to take a hike?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm not sure if that is how it works though. Can't your family basically commit you if you have a problem like that? It happened to someone I know that was anorexic. I really don't know how that stuff works out.

Everyplace is probably different.

I thought it takes a court order that a family member can petition for. But that's more along the lines to keep you. Not sure about just going by and checking. I think the cop had every right to enter - especially with the daughter there and posssessing a key.

After that becomes a little more dicey. :wideeyed:

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
I'm not sure if that is how it works though. Can't your family basically commit you if you have a problem like that? It happened to someone I know that was anorexic. I really don't know how that stuff works out.

I guess I don't know how it works either. I'm guessing that if someone is mentally competent and refuses medical treatment, the police can't drag that person to the hospital. Maybe anorexia is different because there's a mental health issue too.