Sopranos named best written show of all time

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Haven't seen it to be fair, but from what I've seen.

1. LOST - yes a couple of head scratchers, but for the most part, what other show can write simultaneous story lines for 20+ characters involving flash backs/sideways/forwards and have them all intertwine.
2. Seinfeld - Amazing how every episode seems to come full circle in a variety of ways yet still ends up being about nothing
3. Castle - Good murder mystery show that has both surface and deep plots going on at the same time.
4. How I Met your Mother - Love the concept of telling the story backwards. From the future.

Reactions: no2cyclones

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Sopranos was a complete game changer when it came to television shows. It's one of my favorite shows and the writing in the first four seasons is hard to top

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The first 4 seasons of Lost were great. The last 2 seasons they were running out of time to tie up the story-lines, so they didn't finish a lot of them well.

The first season of LOST was pure magic. You just couldn't get enough because it was a mystery wrapped up in a fascinating character study. The next 3 seasons had good points and bad points and then the last 2 just seemed thrown together to try and tie it all together but dropped so much of what made the show great.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
The first season of LOST was pure magic. You just couldn't get enough because it was a mystery wrapped up in a fascinating character study. The next 3 seasons had good points and bad points and then the last 2 just seemed thrown together to try and tie it all together but dropped so much of what made the show great.

I wish I could forget about the first 2 seasons and re-watch them. No other show has gotten me hooked that deeply in such a short time.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I wish I could forget about the first 2 seasons and re-watch them. No other show has gotten me hooked that deeply in such a short time.
Someone at work recently was saying how they'd never seen Lost and I thought how cool it would be to be able to see that show again from the beginning without any knowledge of what happens.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I thought the writing in The Sopranos was brilliant but the acting wasn't always the greatest. The main characters were good but they really brought in bottom-feeders for bit parts. I recently went back and started watching season 1 again and I was pretty shocked at how bad some of the acting was. Also the sports scenes with Meadow playing volleyball and soccer were beyond ridiculous.

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
The writing of Dexter is terribly underrated by this list. To create a relatable, lovable main character is nothing new, but the fact he is a sociopathic serial killer is groundbreaking. They did a brilliant job.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The writing of Dexter is terribly underrated by this list. To create a relatable, lovable main character is nothing new, but the fact he is a sociopathic serial killer is groundbreaking. They did a brilliant job.

well, that's more thanks to Jeff Lindsay and his source material, than anyone involved in the show.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I thought the writing in The Sopranos was brilliant but the acting wasn't always the greatest. The main characters were good but they really brought in bottom-feeders for bit parts. I recently went back and started watching season 1 again and I was pretty shocked at how bad some of the acting was. Also the sports scenes with Meadow playing volleyball and soccer were beyond ridiculous.

Check out John Goodman playing Babe Ruth some time. You'll be in tears.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I'm sorry your answer is incorrect. We were looking for "M*A*S*H" as the best written show ever. (It's not even close)

I agree with mash, used to watch 2 hrs a day every morning in college.

What about cheers, Oz, dexter, curb your enthusiasm?

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Haven't seen it to be fair, but from what I've seen.

1. LOST - yes a couple of head scratchers, but for the most part, what other show can write simultaneous story lines for 20+ characters involving flash backs/sideways/forwards and have them all intertwine.
2. Seinfeld - Amazing how every episode seems to come full circle in a variety of ways yet still ends up being about nothing
3. Castle - Good murder mystery show that has both surface and deep plots going on at the same time.
4. How I Met your Mother - Love the concept of telling the story backwards. From the future.

Speaking of telling a story backwards, I think the Seinfeld "Backwards Episode" was classic.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
"Sopranos" was a good show, and I'll second MJ's mention of "Castle". It's a good show, and they managed to avoid getting all tied down with their "main mythology story" (Detective Beckett's search for her mother's killer) and neglecting the weekly murders. The X-Files tried to keep that working, but they eventually succumbed to making it all about the "Big Conspiracy".

Another HBO show I liked from the "Sopranos" era is "Deadwood".........or as my pal Ace called it...."****sucker Creek". No lie. I think that particular 10-letter word was their signature move. Sort of like "The Stone Cold Stunner" or "The People's Elbow". But Deadwood was a good show with the interplay between Al Swearingen and Marshall Bullock being the big feature and all the little conflicts still having enough spice to keep you interested.

"Justified" might become a great show, but we'll see how it goes. Right now it's on track, hopefully it stays that way.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Cheers has got to be up there, especially with the seamless transition from Coach to Woody, pretty good writing there.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm going to add another one that's probably a little different. The new Battlestar Galactica. Especially for a scifi show, it's very well written and deep.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron