Something is up

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
One of these things has to happen first.

Well, he was a "bad person" last year and was pretty good at basketball. Hell, does anyone even know what he has done which is so bad? Maybe I am just not in the know, but I still don't know exactly why he needed to go to a wellness center. I still don't know why he missed 7 games, but I know a DUI costs a player 3-4.

Maybe I am just naive, but I would like to think there was a way to keep him in basketball shape over the past few months so he was ready to play well after his suspension was up. Not saying it was easy, but I did mention the 1.5 million tax payer dollars we are giving Prohm to do that sort of thing, right?

• Dumb
Reactions: SpokaneCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, he was a "bad person" last year and was pretty good at basketball. Hell, does anyone even know what he has done which is so bad? Maybe I am just not in the know, but I still don't know exactly why he needed to go to a wellness center. I still don't know why he missed 7 games, but I know a DUI costs a player 3-4.

Maybe I am just naive, but I would like to think there was a way to keep him in basketball shape over the past few months so he was ready to play well after his suspension was up. Not saying it was easy, but I did mention the 1.5 million tax payer dollars we are giving Prohm to do that sort of thing, right?

I don't think anyone's said he's a bad person.

Your tax dollars going toward someone to mentor a young person and hopefully positively impact their future cannot possibly be a bad thing.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He had the exact same issue last year at the beginning. Prohm played him, and he figured it out. I'm not certain he'll figure it out this season, but I think he needs played to try.

We can all agree, this team will be so much better with the Cam of last big 12 season.

If he's not earning his precious few minutes based on the 20+ contact HOURS the coaches and players see him in, then maybe his actions during the 20+ contact hours don't merit those precious game minutes.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I believe CSP was talking about being in mental/emotional shape and not physical shape
I agree. I do not buy this game shape stuff. I never played at this high a level, but practice was always harder than the game. If you work hard in practice you are in physical shape.

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I don't think anyone's said he's a bad person.

Your tax dollars going toward someone to mentor a young person and hopefully positively impact their future cannot possibly be a bad thing.

I know nobody directly called him a bad person. My point was that he did not have to become some better version of himself outside of basketball to be a good basketball player, as your response claimed. That was disproven by him being really good last year.

I think the part I disagree with about Prohm's approach is that for Cam, last year does not matter. He has to start over as he has said more than once. Yet when Wigginton comes back, he will immediately be in the starting lineup and Haliburton will go to the bench instead of Babb, even though Haliburton has been better than Babb this year. If past seasons don't matter, wouldn't Babb move to the bench eventually?

I think Lard deserves credit for what he has proven over a full season and deserves more reps because of it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You have a bunch of people on here who think Prohm is for sure doing the right thing for Cam. These people seem to think Prohm is the perfect father to all of his players. They also think anyone who questions whether this has been handled well by Prohm sees Cam as an asset to win us games and couldn't care less if Cam fails as a person.

I think it is ridiculous to attack people who are critical of a guy who makes 1.5 million of our tax dollars per year and say those who do somehow don't care about our players and Cam specifically. We have an All-Big 12 freshman performer who now looks to be barely a shadow of his former self. It is perfectly reasonable to be skeptical at this point of Steve's handling of this situation. The results so far deserve nothing less.

Now I truly hope Steve's strategy works in the long run for Cam and our team, but Cam looks like a guy in desperate need of reps. We know he is not getting them in games and I wonder how much he is playing outside of scout team in practice. Steve also held him out of meaningful practice reps during the preseason, his suspension and pre-season scrimmages.

Now I know everyone will jump on the "he would get minutes if he didn't constantly foul" bandwagon, but he wasn't in foul trouble for the first half yesterday and lost minutes to a freshman who has very little chance of contributing during Big 12 play. I also think Cam looks like a guy who is trying to make something happen when he comes in since he knows he will get pulled and may not see the floor again.

I really hope this works out, because despite what Hines said in his article about how good we have been without him, and how good Jacobson has been, I think we have all seen our regression on defense and rebounding. We need Cam to be elite if we want to be elite. Prohm may have done a great job in helping Cam become a better man, but I am worried he has not taken a successful approach to helping him become a better basketball player.

When Cam proves to be more of an impact than Conditt then he will get minutes. But to this point Conditt is way ahead of Cam and quite frankly it isn't even close.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I agree. I do not buy this game shape stuff. I never played at this high a level, but practice was always harder than the game. If you work hard in practice you are in physical shape.

Unless you are running a high number of full game scrimmages in practice, you can't fully simulate game fatigue. When the players are on the floor in live games they are asked to quickly adapt to the configuration they are placed in and play offense and defense at as best sustained level as they can. Physically they may be in shape, but learning how to balance fatigue and performance on both ends of the court is why it is described as game shape. I would assume the majority of practice is broken into areas of focus rather than extended periods of scrimmage.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
I feel sorry for Cam. Physically, Cam owns a gold mine, but psychologically he is unwilling or unable to extract this incredible gift from God. Hopefully his roommate and teammates can help lead him where he was created to go.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know nobody directly called him a bad person. My point was that he did not have to become some better version of himself outside of basketball to be a good basketball player, as your response claimed. That was disproven by him being really good last year.

I think the part I disagree with about Prohm's approach is that for Cam, last year does not matter. He has to start over as he has said more than once. Yet when Wigginton comes back, he will immediately be in the starting lineup and Haliburton will go to the bench instead of Babb, even though Haliburton has been better than Babb this year. If past seasons don't matter, wouldn't Babb move to the bench eventually?

I think Lard deserves credit for what he has proven over a full season and deserves more reps because of it.

A player coming back from injury is different than someone who was suspended for parts of last season and still kept pushing it.

Talley has gotten some good PT in a stacked backcourt because he's contributing. Lard for whatever reason is behind.

And how do you know who's going to be playing how much and from where?

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
When Cam proves to be more of an impact than Conditt then he will get minutes. But to this point Conditt is way ahead of Cam and quite frankly it isn't even close.

You’re right, only my donations and my family’s tax dollars go towards his salary, not my tax dollars since moving. A very clever gotcha!

• Dislike
Reactions: SCyclone

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
A player coming back from injury is different than someone who was suspended for parts of last season and still kept pushing it.

Talley has gotten some good PT in a stacked backcourt because he's contributing. Lard for whatever reason is behind.

And how do you know who's going to be playing how much and from where?

I can see the future. Let me know if you would like to bet on the side if you think I’m wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: madguy30

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, I see CycloneNation's best and brightest at work on it here. I would think we would have a solution by the next game.

We were SO close earlier today. :(

monkey-typewriter.png

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Maybe I am just naive, but I would like to think he has the initiative and maturity to keep himself in basketball shape over the past few months so he was ready to play well after his suspension was up. Not saying it was easy, but I did mention the 1.5 million tax payer dollars we are giving Prohm to do that sort of thing, right?

FIFY

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I hope Prohm puts Lard out vs Eastern Illinois and just lets him foul out. What’s the harm in a game like that? He clearly needs the reps. It’s not for him, it’s for the team.

If you don’t get why some are frustrated with Lards (lack of) minutes, I think it’s fair to point out that for all his strengths, Prohm does have a history of being slow to change game plans and rotations, and people remember that. Prohm kept running Holden out there and playing Young 5 m/g long after it was painfully clear Young was the best post we had and Holden didn’t belong anywhere near a P5 basketball court.