Something for Cyclone Alley to try...

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
They're not very coordinated at all yet. I can tell that the CA leaders are trying to jump start the motions they're trying to get us to do this year, but right now, the students are moving their hands to the right/left, or sitting down while the ball is in the air, and not as the player is shooting the ball.

I remember getting thundersticks for one game with Cyclone Alley on them, and those proved to be verrry effective that game. I still have mine propped up in my dorm along with all my other CA goodies. :yes4lo:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think the idea that we are going to bring up at our meeting before the next game is the idea of the "mass walk", where the student section crowds to one side and just before the the player starts starts his motions for bouncing the ball before shooting, we'll have the students walk towards the other end, thus creating an entire wall of a background that will be moving against the backboard. It shouldn't be too hard to get that one coordinated, especially after trying it a few games.

It was brought to my attention by a member on this board on the other Cyclone Alley thread on this page. I really like it!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I like the long skinny balloons. They then proceed to pleasure the balloon and it makes a rather loud, annoying noise. Quite effective last year for the 1 or 2 games that they had em. But they might have gotten complaints from the other team.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I like the long skinny balloons. They then proceed to pleasure the balloon and it makes a rather loud, annoying noise. Quite effective last year for the 1 or 2 games that they had em. But they might have gotten complaints from the other team.

Yeah, the NCAA has ruled them as artificial noisemakers and are now against the rules. :angry6wn:

Cyclone_Power

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis
That walking idea would be good, but I'm not so sure that all of the students would put that much effort into the opponents free throws...

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
The walking idea would be an improvement. I was at the game yesterday and it seemed like the motions during the free throws were started to late. FYI, CA on both ends is a wonderfull addition.:biggrin9gp:

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
Yeah, the NCAA has ruled them as artificial noisemakers and are now against the rules. :angry6wn:

NCAA=Fun Haters! :growl5cj:

Nah, they needs to have some guidelines...and I am a rule follower (most of the time.)

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
as for the arm movement to one side or the other... I just feel it would be more effective to keep the arms moving back and forth in unison than just one movement. I just think that we've got this concept that somehow the player is going to change his motion last second with his fingertips. The only way I see it working is if the shooter is set, processes the location of the hoop, and then right as he BEGINS his upward motion for the shot, the perception has ALREADY changed... moving during the shooter's motion won't have any effect in my opinion. And for those who think it's too early, and he'll just stop his motion and reset... then hey... we've already gotten inside his head and were successful. WE JUST AREN'T GIVING THE SHOOTER ENOUGH TIME TO PROCESS THE CHANGE.

Anyway... I'd be excited to see the mass walk as I feel that's orriginal. Or at least change the arm motion to one side... to arm sway back and forth. Oh, and the sitdown is a cool idea, just still needs to be done earlier (and the leader needs to realize that the people following his lead will be behind him a little because of response time)

Yeah, I'm done now... sorry.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
as for the arm movement to one side or the other... I just feel it would be more effective to keep the arms moving back and forth in unison than just one movement. I just think that we've got this concept that somehow the player is going to change his motion last second with his fingertips. The only way I see it working is if the shooter is set, processes the location of the hoop, and then right as he BEGINS his upward motion for the shot, the perception has ALREADY changed... moving during the shooter's motion won't have any effect in my opinion. And for those who think it's too early, and he'll just stop his motion and reset... then hey... we've already gotten inside his head and were successful. WE JUST AREN'T GIVING THE SHOOTER ENOUGH TIME TO PROCESS THE CHANGE.

Anyway... I'd be excited to see the mass walk as I feel that's orriginal. Or at least change the arm motion to one side... to arm sway back and forth. Oh, and the sitdown is a cool idea, just still needs to be done earlier (and the leader needs to realize that the people following his lead will be behind him a little because of response time)

Yeah, I'm done now... sorry.

We will be working on this. It will definately come up at our meeting. We need to work on timing!

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I mentioned in another thread about possibly chanting the opposing opponents free throw percentage that is posted on the new scorebard. It would remind the shooter how much he sucks. You can add in the motion with the chant.

"62 Percent, 62 Percent, 62 Percent."

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
I say they need a coordinator who is loud, clear and creative with his or her ideas and meet before the games for maybe 15 minutes and talk things over - he or she should lead the alley. Maybe have one coordinator for each end. We need to make this as consistent as possible, the nation needs to know hilton magic is back and its back with the new look, the glamor- and above all, a "more coordinated Cyclone Alley"

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
How on earth are you going to get EVERYONE to do the walk? 1 person in each row deciding not to do it wrecks it all; I see you having more trouble with this than you anticipate.

Continually waving arms back and forth has been the best idea yet.

Cyclone_Power

Oct 23, 2006
Minneapolis
How on earth are you going to get EVERYONE to do the walk? 1 person in each row deciding not to do it wrecks it all; I see you having more trouble with this than you anticipate.

Continually waving arms back and forth has been the best idea yet.

Yeah that was my take also - you're usually going to get a few stubborn people who wouldn't go out of their way for something like that. But I think a slow waving back and forth might work rather than just going nuts with your arms.

On a side note, did anyone else notice this season that like EVERY Big XII team now does the Nebraska arm wave thing after they score a touchdown? I always knew NU started it, but I have seen OK State and now Kansas doing it...pretty lame.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
On a side note, did anyone else notice this season that like EVERY Big XII team now does the Nebraska arm wave thing after they score a touchdown? I always knew NU started it, but I have seen OK State and now Kansas doing it...pretty lame.

If I remember correctly, K-State's student section did it for something as well...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron