So, I've lived in Des Moines for a Week...

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Filed for my Homestead Claim and Recorded my Veteran Status. Two nice tax credits! Another glorious day in Paradise!
Ugh. Received my property tax bill yesterday. My tax credits do not go into effect until NEXT YEAR! !@#$!

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Here's my favorite food in Des Moines.

Eatery A
Flying Mango
Zombie Burger
Cozi Cucina
Hoshi Sushi in Drake
You're welcome. ;)

The weather is amazing May and early June. July and August into September is worse than Florida. Autumn is the best weather in the world IMO, then get ready for winter lolz.

Lived in DSM for 5 years now and it has felt like home since day 1. I’ve found some of my favorite spots amongst food and entertainment are:

Simon Estes amphitheater
Western gateway/sculpture park (plus all the festivals there)
Des Moines Art Center (it’s free and check out the rose gardens outside)
Botanical gardens (check out the tulips in the outdoor garden spring)
Bubba (nice yet affordable night out with good drinks)
The Angry Goldfish
Barrata’s at the State Historical Society (it’s a gem for lunch)
B&B grocery (if I need a good cut of meat, this is the place)

Throw in principal park, the farmers market, the Well, and all the great breweries, why would u want to live anywhere else?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lived in DSM for 5 years now and it has felt like home since day 1. I’ve found some of my favorite spots amongst food and entertainment are:

Simon Estes amphitheater
The Angry Goldfish

Throw in principal park, the farmers market, the Well, and all the great breweries, why would u want to live anywhere else?
Des Moines is pretty cool for such a small city. I'm starting to get partial to northern Virginia, especially near DC. I'm flying out of Dulles tomorrow morning actually. Going to Grand Forks, ND of all places after being in Syracuse or a week. I've seen a ton of great cities and Des Moines still has it's special place for me.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Des Moines is pretty cool for such a small city. I'm starting to get partial to northern Virginia, especially near DC. I'm flying out of Dulles tomorrow morning actually. Going to Grand Forks, ND of all places after being in Syracuse or a week. I've seen a ton of great cities and Des Moines still has it's special place for me.
Have you ever been to Boise? I have a few friends that live there and they absolutely love it. It seems kind of like Des Moines in the mountains.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Have you ever been to Boise? I have a few friends that live there and they absolutely love it. It seems kind of like Des Moines in the mountains.
No but it's on my list. Estes Park is one of favorite places in the world if you ever are looking for a small mountain get away. In Florida I like Tampa, and I really like north central Florida. If you're going to Myrtle Beach stay in a town just south of there called Murrells Inlet. I couldn't believe how small town and laid back it felt compared to rest of the southern ocean fronts I've been to.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
No but it's on my list. Estes Park is one of favorite places in the world if you ever are looking for a small mountain get away. In Florida I like Tampa, and I really like north central Florida. If you're going to Myrtle Beach stay in a town just south of there called Murrells Inlet. I couldn't believe how small town and laid back it felt compared to rest of the southern ocean fronts I've been to.
I'm going to move out West one of these days. My home away from home is Seattle, but I really don't want to pay to live in that area. I'd like to stay in a medium sized city. Chico or Redding seem about perfect.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

Simon Estes amphitheater
The Angry Goldfish

I miss the B&B grocery meat counter, those guys were hilarious. Ask about the whiskey bottles surrounding the deli, if you dare.....

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

I fly to Boise a few times a year. It's a nice place. You'd think a city that far north would be cold, but their weather is closer to Seattle than say Fargo. Surprisingly large amount of money in the area too.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Your comment made me do a deep dive into Boise. That city looks awesome. Mountains are pretty, people are probably alright. Would have been a fun college town, no Ames, but still lol.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

Simon Estes amphitheater
The Angry Goldfish

For better weather!!!!

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Where are you at? I lived in Reston for a bit, but it couldn't beat Des Moines so I moved back.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Where are you at? I lived in Reston for a bit, but it couldn't beat Des Moines so I moved back.
I like Fairfax area. Richmond is great. I just love the DC area. So many sports and places to go and do things. Nice weather. Mountains and ocean within an hour. It's perfect.

I just landed in Minneapolis, on my way to Grand Forks. Trying to set a mileage record this week!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm so Jacked!

Leaving for Ames shortly for my first Cyclone Football game in JTS since 2012!

To recap: I moved from Ames to California in 1995 the day after Troy Davis lit up UNLV in the 57-30 victory, and moved back to Iowa this May from Ohio. I've been back a few times for games (1996 vs. Mizzou, 1997 vs. Okla. State, 1999 vs. Iowa, 2000 vs. Texas A&M, 2001 vs. Iowa, 2002 vs. Mizzou and 2012 vs. West Virginia + @ UNLV in 1999, @ Independence Bowl in 2001, @ Liberty Bowl in 2012 and 2017.

I am looking forward to getting back in the Iowa State Football Season Ticket Habit!

Let's Go State!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
4 months in Des Moines and still happy!

Today, I discovered Cy-Hawk Gameday on WOI Channel 5.

Love it!

Let's Go State!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
4.5 months in Des Moines, and a small complaint...The 1:00 am train rolled through downtown and woke me up! Normally, I sleep through the trains, but this one was extra loud with his horns, and I cannot get back to sleep. Ugh

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
4.5 months in Des Moines, and a small complaint...The 1:00 am train rolled through downtown and woke me up! Normally, I sleep through the trains, but this one was extra loud with his horns, and I cannot get back to sleep. Ugh

That's just Central Iowa's little way of reminding you to watch the ISU/ULM replay one more time!

• Funny
Reactions: AlaCyclone