Snow at Jack Trice

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I see a lot of people hoping for snow at the OSU game. This got me wondering: How would the field be cleared in this situation? I thought most pro stadiums have heating systems under the field, but does Jack Trice have such a system? Can natural grass surface have heating?

Just kind of curious how it would all go down. I remember the Vikings asked for Volunteers to help dig out TCF after the dome collapsed. Has there ever been a large early-November snow in Ames either right before or during the game?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
They go over the field with brushes like the ice polishers they use on campus. You can dig out TCF as it isn't real grass. Digging out JTS is asking for huge issues.

And yes, natural grass can be heated. Lambeau has been for a few years. Just tubes of water under the surface will keep the ground somewhat thawed out.

I think Pittsburgh is heated too but can't remember if the field is FieldTurf or natural grass....I wanna say natural grass since it constantly looks like crap.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
They don't have to do anything, right? If it snows... just leave it there. :jimlad:

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
There are many NFL stadiums that have heated turfs- natural grass and synthetic. There are heated water pipes that run underground to keep the grass/turf at a temperature that is above 32 degrees. Of course the snow can fall heavy enough that accumulation does take place on fields that are heated. Heated turfs also help with tackling. Last year when the Vikings/Bears played at TCF, TCF is not heated, the teams were concerned with tackling because the field was a frozen chunk of ice and the game almost wasn't played there mostly because of that. I believe that most all NCAA school fields are not heated because almost 100% of the time the teams are done playing before the ground freezes.

Mostly, I believe that JTS they would have a tarp down over the field till the last second possible then it would be removed from yard lines as the snow would pile up. I would not think that they would have any type of snow brush or plow that would go across the turf at anytime as that would remove or gouge the grass.

The ground crew at JTS is VERY protective of the turf and would not do what isn't best for it in the long term. There is a reason why JTS has the best looking natural grass in the nation year in and year out.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I see a lot of people hoping for snow at the OSU game. This got me wondering: How would the field be cleared in this situation? I thought most pro stadiums have heating systems under the field, but does Jack Trice have such a system? Can natural grass surface have heating?

Just kind of curious how it would all go down. I remember the Vikings asked for Volunteers to help dig out TCF after the dome collapsed. Has there ever been a large early-November snow in Ames either right before or during the game?

Likely one of the most famous snow games was the game against Colorado in 1991 (I think that was the year). I don't think a heated field could have kept up with that storm.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Likely one of the most famous snow games was the game against Colorado in 1991 (I think that was the year). I don't think a heated field could have kept up with that storm.

Was there snow (I know it wasn't snowing at the time of the game) the night before the 04 Mizzou game? I was really drunk that weekend and don't remember too clearly except that I became aware just as players' parents were complaining that I wasn't supposed to be sitting next to them during the game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That Colorado game had to be 1991, the week before Thanksgiving. I didn't get out of town on Friday and was stuck until Sunday. Watched on TV--ISU had its own TV station then--the roads and stuff were pretty bad.

There was not a lot of people there, IIRC.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Saw the KCCI news at 5 p.m.,next Friday's high is supposed to be around 50 and the low near 40,doesn't look like snow or a blizzard is expected.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Saw the KCCI news at 5 p.m.,next Friday's high is supposed to be around 50 and the low near 40,doesn't look like snow or a blizzard is expected.
The weather will change 10 times before Friday. I know they didnt predict Tuesday's snow until Sunday.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
That Colorado game had to be 1991, the week before Thanksgiving. I didn't get out of town on Friday and was stuck until Sunday. Watched on TV--ISU had its own TV station then--the roads and stuff were pretty bad.

There was not a lot of people there, IIRC.

It didn't actually snow during the game. In fact it was brilliant sunshine that day. Brutally cold with horrendous wind chill. It had snowed several inches the night before. They didn't take tickets and let anyone in who showed up. There had to be less than a thousand people there.

Fellow cyclonefanactic pgreen and I were 2 of the brave souls there.

CU was a top 10 program and ISU hung with them entire game and had a chance to win in the end. If my memory serves me we were driving late in the 4 th into the wind and walden played for the win rather than attempting a chip shot field goal to tie.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
It didn't actually snow during the game. In fact it was brilliant sunshine that day. Brutally cold with horrendous wind chill. It had snowed several inches the night before. They didn't take tickets and let anyone in who showed up. There had to be less than a thousand people there.

Fellow cyclonefanactic pgreen and I were 2 of the brave souls there.

CU was a top 10 program and ISU hung with them entire game and had a chance to win in the end. If my memory serves me we were driving late in the 4 th into the wind and walden played for the win rather than attempting a chip shot field goal to tie.

I can proudly say that I was one of the very few at that game. Probably my all time favorite memory from ISU games as a kid. I was 13 at the time and my dad and I made seats in the drifts in the lower deck on the west side. I think they ended up only opening one concession stand on each side of the stadium and all they basically had was hot chocolate, popcorn, and maybe hot dogs.

I honestly don't remember if it was sunny or not but it was cold as hell. But a few inches of snow is an understatement. IIRC it was somewhere in the 12 inches the day and night before and about 3 more inches in the early morning of the game. I just remember the whole upper deck on the west side was about a 6 foot deep drift.

For some reason i keep thinking that the sidelines were cleared only where the teams were and the rest was just huge piles of snow that they just pushed off the field. I can't remember every detail of the day but would love to find some pictures of it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It didn't actually snow during the game. In fact it was brilliant sunshine that day.

I honestly don't remember if it was sunny or not but it was cold as hell. But a few inches of snow is an understatement. IIRC it was somewhere in the 12 inches the day and night before and about 3 more inches in the early morning of the game. I just remember the whole upper deck on the west side was about a 6 foot deep drift.

Reactions: MidwestZest

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Was there snow (I know it wasn't snowing at the time of the game) the night before the 04 Mizzou game? I was really drunk that weekend and don't remember too clearly except that I became aware just as players' parents were complaining that I wasn't supposed to be sitting next to them during the game.

Snowed before that game... and a little during, but really just flurried.

Probably for the best, as I was body painted for that game and the snow started taking a while to melt on my skin. That was a rather brutal game to lose in double over time... had to stop at the MU on the way back to Friley to warm up.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
But a few inches of snow is an understatement. IIRC it was somewhere in the 12 inches the day and night before

Your little lady tells me that you've been claiming a few inches as 12 for as long as she's known you.

:jiggy:

Sorry, it was right there like a ripe fruit.