Snow Advisory

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I agree it's costly. But why should federal emergency monies be used to cover something that occurs every winter in Iowa?

Shouldn't measures be taken to avoid the damage or insure against it? Using your example of utilities, moving more lines underground and using strain-relief devices are a couple of examples that come to mind.

The last couple of years have been terrible for these storms, with last year being the worst one I can remember in a while. For the most part these storms are not yearly events, thank god.

There is a tendancy to move more things underground, but it is cost prohibitive and not possible in all areas.

As for where federal money should be spent, I don't want to get into a political discussion so I will leave that one alone.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Good, see you in the ditch!
It's always such sweet schadenfreude to see some idiot in a 4x4 in the ditch. Drive up I-35 between DSM and Ames after a good storm and count the vehicles in the ditch. I bet a dozen donuts that the 4x4s outnumber the 2WD cars.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I agree it's costly. But why should federal emergency monies be used to cover something that occurs every winter in Iowa?

Shouldn't measures be taken to avoid the damage or insure against it? Using your example of utilities, moving more lines underground and using strain-relief devices are a couple of examples that come to mind.

The last couple of years have been terrible for these storms, with last year being the worst one I can remember in a while. For the most part these storms are not yearly events, thank god.

There is a tendancy to move more things underground, but it is cost prohibitive and not possible in all areas.

As for where federal money should be spent, I don't want to get into a political discussion so I will leave that one alone.

I ask the same thing about hurricanes in Florida, wildfires in California. Even the Katrina damage in New Orleans.

Some things are freak and not exactly "predictable". Other things happen constantly OR are situations where we're just asking for trouble.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
It's always such sweet schadenfreude to see some idiot in a 4x4 in the ditch. Drive up I-35 between DSM and Ames after a good storm and count the vehicles in the ditch. I bet a dozen donuts that the 4x4s outnumber the 2WD cars.
I drove Ames to Des Moines after the last snow and I'd say that's wrong. Mostly cars in the ditch, and just because a truck or SUV is in the ditch doesn't mean it's 4x4.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What most SUV/4 wheel drive owners don't realize is that they can't stop any faster. In reality it takes them longer to stop because they usually weigh twice as much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron