Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
Did a couple of pork butts and some chicken this last weekend. I think the stall at 200 lasted a little over two hours but the low and slow method paid off. Meat was falling apart and juicy. Not sure how to upload an image.

Reactions: NWICY

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Hello. I’m a little to lazy to read through 3,000 posts, but I suspect this is the right place….

I’m looking at maybe buying a pellet grill, specifically the Traeger 575 Pro. Anyone have the model or comments, good/bad about it?

I’m also looking at maybe the Traeger pro 34.. a bit bigger but looks like no wifi and older auger/feeding mechanism.

I’m also open to other brands, I just know Traeger has the name recognition.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Hello. I’m a little to lazy to read through 3,000 posts, but I suspect this is the right place….

I’m looking at maybe buying a pellet grill, specifically the Traeger 575 Pro. Anyone have the model or comments, good/bad about it?

I’m also looking at maybe the Traeger pro 34.. a bit bigger but looks like no wifi and older auger/feeding mechanism.

Big fan of my pitboss. didnt want to pay the traeger price tag

• Informative
Reactions: ghyland7

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
View attachment 116996
Tried something different today and it worked pretty good. Smoked just a flat, it was a tad bit dry, which isn't surprising but the bark and texture was great.
In the past I've used those dryer pieces to make kreplach (Jewish ravioli), so if you think it is lost there is another use out there.

Last edited:

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA

I have a Pro 575, love it. Only 2 bad things about mine.

1st, I got mine about 3 years ago and had issues with getting the wifi to connect. It still doesn't work from my phone, but in reality it's not something you need and we get along fine without it.

2nd, I now wish I had a bigger one like the Pro 780 instead. Didn't realize how much we'd love cooking on it, and for our family of 6 it is big enough to cook meat on for meals but not much else. With a bigger grill, we could fit other sides or more meat for larger get-togethers for more people.

I like how Traeger is super easy to operate and makes getting into smoking much easier, but there are somethings I'm finding that would be fun to play with. Dad has a Green Mountain, and for whatever reason he can change his baffles just a bit and can get the juciest pork loin but I struggle no matter what I try with pork loin.

No matter what, find something you like or are excited about. At that point you'll use it more and have fun doing it. You can always get something different down the road, but by then you'll know exactly what you need/want vs what you don't.

Best of luck and welcome to the deep rabbit hole that is smoking good food!

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

I have the "cheapest" Traeger https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Pro-Series-22-Pellet-Grill-in-Bronze-TFB57PZB/311102891 I don't see any need to pay extra for the wifi features, nice to have but not worth the extra $300 IMO. 1 thing to keep in mind when deciding on a bigger 1 or not is the amount of pellets you'll burn through. If you don't plan to cook a ton of meat at the same time often the smaller models will be better.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I have that model and love it. Wifi hasn't been an issue and it's been very reliable. My only complaint is I wish the ash cleanout was easier like some other brands have moved to, but that's it.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind 24, it's a little more pricey than that one. I love the ash cleanout on mine. Anyone you get just make sure its got a PID controller. That's been the biggest different from me going from a cheap pit boss to the Camp Chef.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

If you're fine with buying Traeger, I'd also consider something like a RecTeq. I just saw on Reddit earlier that they are coming out with some new models in the next week and possibly one that will be only available at Ace.

Both RecTeq and Trager have Chinese electronics, which is what people criticize them for. I've never owned either so I'm not judging. I have a really cheap masterbuilt 560 that I'm sure is filled with Chinese electronics but it cost me like $400 and can be bought for even cheaper.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I have the pro series 34. When I was picking out my pellet smoker I wanted more cooking surface so I went with this model. I have a good dual probe wireless thermometer so I really don't need all of the wifi jazz. I love it and would highly recommend. When I went and looked at other pellet smokers like Pit Boss etc I felt like they just felt "cheap" compared to Traeger. My BIL has a Pit Boss that is 3 years old and it's already rusting out. His first one didn't even make it four years before it was rusting out.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
If you're fine with buying Traeger, I'd also consider something like a RecTeq. I just saw on Reddit earlier that they are coming out with some new models in the next week and possibly one that will be only available at Ace.

Both RecTeq and Trager have Chinese electronics, which is what people criticize them for. I've never owned either so I'm not judging. I have a really cheap masterbuilt 560 that I'm sure is filled with Chinese electronics but it cost me like $400 and can be bought for even cheaper.
Me and 3 friends all have ReqTeqs and never any issues. They are dropping some new models on October 9th.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I have a Pro 575, love it. Only 2 bad things about mine.

1st, I got mine about 3 years ago and had issues with getting the wifi to connect. It still doesn't work from my phone, but in reality it's not something you need and we get along fine without it.

2nd, I now wish I had a bigger one like the Pro 780 instead. Didn't realize how much we'd love cooking on it, and for our family of 6 it is big enough to cook meat on for meals but not much else. With a bigger grill, we could fit other sides or more meat for larger get-togethers for more people.

I like how Traeger is super easy to operate and makes getting into smoking much easier, but there are somethings I'm finding that would be fun to play with. Dad has a Green Mountain, and for whatever reason he can change his baffles just a bit and can get the juciest pork loin but I struggle no matter what I try with pork loin.

No matter what, find something you like or are excited about. At that point you'll use it more and have fun doing it. You can always get something different down the road, but by then you'll know exactly what you need/want vs what you don't.

Best of luck and welcome to the deep rabbit hole that is smoking good food!
How much can you fit in it?

I have a cheap little electric masterbuilt smoker, and I can get maybe 3 racks of ribs if I cut them in half…

I am excited about the idea of a pellet grill/smoker for the convenience.

I’d love to be able to do a few racks of ribs, maybe a loin, and some sides.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Those with Recteqs, do they do well grilling/searing and also smoking in cold weather?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have the pro series 34. When I was picking out my pellet smoker I wanted more cooking surface so I went with this model. I have a good dual probe wireless thermometer so I really don't need all of the wifi jazz. I love it and would highly recommend. When I went and looked at other pellet smokers like Pit Boss etc I felt like they just felt "cheap" compared to Traeger. My BIL has a Pit Boss that is 3 years old and it's already rusting out. His first one didn't even make it four years before it was rusting out.

It's interesting you say that, because my point of view is the opposite. Traeger used to be very high quality with thicker metal, but they sold out years ago and how have thinner metal than Pit Boss (and Chinese electronics like someone else mentioned). Actually I believe one of or "the" original Traeger owners/engineers or something like that left Traeger and now works for Pit Boss.

For the money Pit Boss > Traeger. Traeger is living off of its brand name, not the current quality of its products. Just my opinion.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How much can you fit in it?

I have a cheap little electric masterbuilt smoker, and I can get maybe 3 racks of ribs if I cut them in half…

I am excited about the idea of a pellet grill/smoker for the convenience.

I’d love to be able to do a few racks of ribs, maybe a loin, and some sides.
I can do three wracks of ribs and a side

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Buy the biggest model - eat the leftovers all week or freeze them. I make 4 pork butts at a time and freeze 2. I could get 6 on there, have done 6 racks of ribs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron