Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
In those BBQ contests they throw so much on the rib because the judge usually takes one bite so they are trying to wow them with one bite.
I'm definitely gonna keep it relatively simple. One or two rubs, a dry wrap (no brown sugar/butter/honey), and some Whomp sauce mixed with a little pepper jelly rib candy to give it a little kick on the back end and a really glossy presentation.

Reactions: Gonzo and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm definitely gonna keep it relatively simple. One or two rubs, a dry wrap (no brown sugar/butter/honey), and some Whomp sauce mixed with a little pepper jelly rib candy to give it a little kick on the back end and a really glossy presentation.
I'd help you eat the leftovers after the judges get their portion.;)

Reactions: tm3308

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Wings from Costco

Jamaican Jerk Marinade Seasoning Sauce Spicy

Charcoal directly on the heat shield at the lowest level

275-300

Flip at 35 minutes

190-200 internal

Started at 4:30 pm

Finished 80 minutes later

1000004077.jpg 1000004076.jpg

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have to admit that I miss how easy the masterbilt is at set it and forget it.
Does that thing work as advertised? I have been eyeballing them since they came out. I am dreaming it would and I would be very happy with it.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Does that thing work as advertised? I have been eyeballing them since they came out. I am dreaming it would and I would be very happy with it.
It works really well.

If you can afford, get the biggest one, the build quality on it is substantially better than the two smaller models.

Reactions: mkadl

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Wings from Costco

Jamaican Jerk Marinade Seasoning Sauce Spicy

Charcoal directly on the heat shield at the lowest level

275-300

Flip at 35 minutes

190-200 internal

Started at 4:30 pm

Finished 80 minutes later

View attachment 126641 View attachment 126642
They look good. Reminds me of this time quite a few years ago we were having a poker night at my place. I bought a whole bunch of wings and came up with this masterful rub for them, then cooked them on the pellet grill. My bright idea was to powderize crushed red pepper for the heat, then the rest would be a sweeter version of my normal rub.

I even used the blender outside for the powdering of the red pepper, but it didn't matter. I didn't get to end up playing poker that night because 5 hours later, my eyes were still watering and I could barely talk. Lesson learned although my friends still ask me regularly when I'm going to brave it and do the wings again because they were the best they've ever had. They were damn good wings.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I moved on from mine but it was really great, i think you'd have a hard time finding something better under $1000. Charcoal is going to get you better smoke over any pellet grill. The quality is sketch. One thing you can do to preserve it's life is to use it only as a smoker. I think running it at 800 degrees is what kills these things.

Reactions: mkadl

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I've been working on finding the best wings I like to make at home.

I tried this last year, which is one of the better oven friend recipes I've found:

So I decided to follow it, but smoke the wings on my PK360.

wingsdry.jpeg
wingssmoke.jpeg
wingssauce.jpeg
Everything was great about them, but I just didn't like the smoke with the buffalo flavor. They didn't seem to react the way I wanted.

Previously I tried a friends method of marinating in Italian Dressing and Soy sauce over night, then a dry rub of SPG and Chipolte.

Flavor was outstanding, but skin wasn't crips.

I'm going to continue to experiment. :)

Reactions: clone4life82

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've been working on finding the best wings I like to make at home.

I tried this last year, which is one of the better oven friend recipes I've found:

So I decided to follow it, but smoke the wings on my PK360.

View attachment 126803
View attachment 126804
View attachment 126805
Everything was great about them, but I just didn't like the smoke with the buffalo flavor. They didn't seem to react the way I wanted.

Previously I tried a friends method of marinating in Italian Dressing and Soy sauce over night, then a dry rub of SPG and Chipolte.

Flavor was outstanding, but skin wasn't crips.

I'm going to continue to experiment. :)
Have you tried cooking them in an air fryer? I'm totally stealing this old bay recipe, looks great.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Have you tried cooking them in an air fryer? I'm totally stealing this old bay recipe, looks great.
Yes, and a convection oven. They're outstanding.

I'm looking for something a little smoky as well, thus trying them on the PK.

If you want your standard type buffalo wing, with a kiss of Old Bay, you have to try that recipe.

Reactions: dmclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron