Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah, Webers are generally good for 8-10 years (assuming you take care of them properly) before you'll have to start replacing some parts once in awhile. But that's usually pretty easy to handle and not terribly expensive, especially considering how long you'll go before needing to replace the part again.
Got my Weber E330 in 2011. Just finally replaced the flavorizer bars last summer. Rest of it is in really good shape, including the grates. I do cover it when not in use.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Got my Weber E330 in 2011. Just finally replaced the flavorizer bars last summer. Rest of it is in really good shape, including the grates. I do cover it when not in use.
Basically just keep it covered/in the garage when not in use and give it a deep clean once or twice a year (along with the routine grate cleaning after you use it), and it'll last damn near forever.

Reactions: cycloner29

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Yeah, Webers are generally good for 8-10 years (assuming you take care of them properly) before you'll have to start replacing some parts once in awhile. But that's usually pretty easy to handle and not terribly expensive, especially considering how long you'll go before needing to replace the part again.
I am on my second three burner weber in over 32 years. Two grill in 32 years. I have replaced 1 set of burners, probably 8 sets of the grates over the burners probably 5 sets of flavorizer bars. And my old one had enameled grates that were probably replaced 3 times. Just dont buy the two burner one you wont be happy. use is heavy 3 to 6 tmes a week April through September. The rest of the time just when the weather cooperates. I wouldn't consider another brand of gas grill. Except those dual fuel gas/charcoal really are intriguing. I want others to test and review before I take that leap.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Weber 3 burner owner & no regrets. Clean it couple times a year, either a quickie with a shop vac or a thorough cleaning with disassemble. I’ve replaced the flavor bars about every 3 or 4 years. I have 2 Weber 3 burners & I prefer the burners mounted front to back with the controls on the front. I do a lot of indirect smoking with a smoker box & I can turn off one side of the grill. The grill with the burners mounted side to side & controls on the side does not work as well for indirect heat. But I recommend both models and they will probably outlast me. I grill a lot btw.

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Looking for new grates for my E-330 Weber Genesis. Cast iron or porcelain? Recommendations? I keep reading about those grillgrate ones also. TIA!!

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Looking for new grates for my E-330 Weber Genesis. Cast iron or porcelain? Recommendations? I keep reading about those grillgrate ones also. TIA!!
I have a 3-burner Weber that I put some grillgrates on and love them. They helped my Weber reduce flare-ups and I can flip the grates over to use like a griddle. The griddle side works great for smash burgers and grilled veggies. The grillgrates gave my Weber some new life.

Reactions: cycloner29

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
get cast iron-- I am guessing porcelain gets micro cracks and the sauces and brines get into those and they get rusty, especially on the ends. My experience. I am 6-7 years into cast iron and they are still good.

Reactions: cjclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
get cast iron-- I am guessing porcelain gets micro cracks and the sauces and brines get into those and they get rusty, especially on the ends. My experience. I am 6-7 years into cast iron and they are still good.
I have stainless steel.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have stainless steel.
I have never tried stainless. I used to work for a pellet die company, so I know the grades and manufacturing of stainless are all over the place and that always scared me off. How long have you had them?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I've thought about the Genesis line before but instead treat the Spirit 3 burner line as a 5-7 year throw-away. I don't like taking the time to cover it and it sits on our uncovered deck. I clean the grates but nothing else. After about 6 years just put it on the curb for somebody to take and get a new one.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've thought about the Genesis line before but instead treat the Spirit 3 burner line as a 5-7 year throw-away. I don't like taking the time to cover it and it sits on our uncovered deck. I clean the grates but nothing else. After about 6 years just put it on the curb for somebody to take and get a new one.
I had a grill repair guy tell me to never, ever cover it during the summer. The covers trap humidity and it will rust out significantly faster. Different story in the wintertime though if you don't bring it in for the winter.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had a grill repair guy tell me to never, ever cover it during the summer. The covers trap humidity and it will rust out significantly faster. Different story in the wintertime though if you don't bring it in for the winter.

Same thing with your A/C unit in the winter.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and have had times where I took the cover off and it's full of white mold. Usually it's when it is super humid out and/or I've left it out in the rain.

I think covering my Weber Genesis has prolonged its life, but YMMV. I've never heard of a grill repairman, so I suppose I'll defer to him?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and have had times where I took the cover off and it's full of white mold. Usually it's when it is super humid out and/or I've left it out in the rain.

I think covering my Weber Genesis has prolonged its life, but YMMV. I've never heard of a grill repairman, so I suppose I'll defer to him?
It was a guy from Sears, years ago before they went broke. I bought a grill from them that had bad burner that one of their guys had to verify was a bad before the warranty would cover a replacement. I actually ended up getting an entirely new $700 grill out of the deal because they screwed up so bad ordering the new part. It’s no wonder they went bankrupt.

• Informative
Reactions: NickTheGreat

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The old rule of a minimum of 80 BTUs per square inch of cooking surface will apply to any gas grill. You will be disappointed in something less. If its wind cold etc. Just a tip if anyone is in the market. If you have that as a bottom minimum, it makes shopping for gas grills much easier. I have helped a few friends select grills, having the heat (BTUs) available is very important for consistent results. Weber Genesis is always covered year round.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I keep mine covered all year. I have a cover that has side vents on it, so I've never had an issue with rust or mold. Love the easy to remove bottom tray to, makes cleaning a lot easier. Finally had to replace the battery for the starter a couple of weeks ago. Had a little corrosion on it. I can only assume it was the original battery in it as it was some no name brand.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It was a guy from Sears, years ago before they went broke. I bought a grill from them that had bad burner that one of their guys had to verify was a bad before the warranty would cover a replacement. I actually ended up getting an entirely new $700 grill out of the deal because they screwed up so bad ordering the new part. It’s no wonder they went bankrupt.
I bought my Weber when I graduated college in December 2008. About 5 years ago, I had flames coming up around the control knobs on the side and the knobs melted to the grill. I called a Tru Value store in the Des Moines area who came out and inspected my grill. They said the part that failed and caused the fire had a lifetime warranty so they replaced all of the damaged parts free of charge (burners, knobs, valves, etc.) I pretty much got a new grill for free.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Any big cooks for the holiday weekend?

First Saturday overnight without a chance of rain in a while so putting a packer on around 9pm.

Reactions: ScottyP

Help Support Us

Become a patron