Shonn Greene's effect on EIU's season

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
1. If you think the best running back in the country is over-rated, you must have pretty high standards. Other than his offensive line, there is no reason to say that he was overrated in any category. Yeah, they cleared some pretty big holes for him, but he created his own lanes or broke tackles just as often. Please, how exactly is Shonn Greene over-rated?

He didn't say anything about the UCONN running back.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I remember after the Iowa game some Iowa fans asking what we thought of Greene. I immediatly said I thought the guy was a real load, but I remember a few fans here saying he was nothing special.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The guy was awesome and I don't know if I've ever seen a back who could get hit as often as he did and still keep running. He had some ball control issues as a freshman, but certainly took care of it this year.

I think they would have lost 2 or 3 games for sure with out him. Especially when the Stanzi vs Christianson fight was going on.

He set a rushing record for Iowa, but.... Troy Davis broke 2,000 yards two years in a row and handily beats Greene...:jiggy:

Glad Greene is gone. It will make ISU winning next years, game that much easier.:smile:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
340x.jpg

VictoryPolka

Jan 3, 2009
IC via Ankeny
There's no doubt about it, he was a significant factor in every game. I'm not the Kool-Aid drinking Hawk fan type, but I think we might be a bit surprised with how much we'll miss him come football season. That said, I think Jewel Hampton picked up the slack with some of his play against battered opponents, so his real impact has yet to be seen. Good O-line returning will definitely help.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Fair point. There are lots of teams, especially in college that rely heavily on one player. How many games does ISU win during Seneca's senior year without him? I'd say about 3. Maybe less. I do think Greene's impact was bigger than most Hawk fans think.

Who was our impact player for our two wins? Bates in second game or safeties in our first game. I guess you have to win in order to have an impact player.

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I have to agree. The amount of Hawk talk on this board is nuts.

That being said, I think the hawks would have had the same record, maybe lost one more game (Penn State). The O-line is very good and will be even better next year so I expect them in another Jan 1 bowl game no matter who the RB is.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
One player can make a difference. How many games would Iowa have lost this year without him?

Remember way back when Paki O'Meara might have been the starter and Iowa fans were saying he was better than Greene anyway. Greene was great. He'll be a great pro too. Hampton is not as good as Greene. Period. Oh, to answer your question - maybe 2 games. Maybe 4. Maybe 6. Maybe none.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Remember way back when Paki O'Meara might have been the starter and Iowa fans were saying he was better than Greene anyway. Greene was great. He'll be a great pro too. Hampton is not as good as Greene. Period. Oh, to answer your question - maybe 2 games. Maybe 4. Maybe 6. Maybe none.

Yeah, after the 1st game of the season. Paki looked good in that game, and nobody had any idea that Greene was going to turn out to be that good.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Yeah, after the 1st game of the season. Paki looked good in that game, and nobody had any idea that Greene was going to turn out to be that good.

I love that you somehow take offense to this. Thanks for making my point. My grandma would have looked good against Maine.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I love that you somehow take offense to this. Thanks for making my point. My grandma would have looked good against Maine.

Which is why O'Meara did. I'm agreeing with you. He had a good day against a tired, 1-AA defense, and it got some folks excited. Big deal.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
These hawk threads are getting old to even me. Greene was darn good but as long as EIU's OL opens holes a Mack truck could drive through, I think they will be fine. I hope they all fall in a heap next year but I'll call it like it see it as of right now.

I love slamming the herky jerky's as much as anyone, but lets find a better subject to talk about until they screw up again OK??? Please??

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Let's see, off the top of my head, not Maine, not FIU, not Wisconsin, not Minnesota, not Indiana, not South Carolina, and probably not Iowa State.

Probably Penn State, Maybe Purdue.

So one more, maybe two.

The difference, I suspect, would be they lose a few games worse than they did, and don't have as many dominating wins.

How many games would Florida have lost this year without Tim Tebow? Texas without Colt McCoy? What's your point? Iowa isn't allowed to have a real, standout, impact player?

My point is that even though it is common knowledge that a QB is the most important position on the team, (save your Tebow, McCoy arguements) the return of Greene had a drastic effect on the season. Without him, there's a good possibility they wouldn't have gone to a bowl game, and the masses would have been clamoring for Kirk's head.

To the Hawk fans, it shows that you were one player away from having a crappy season, and to cyclone fans, it shows that with just one stud quality playmaker a season's fortunes can change significantly.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
My point is that even though it is common knowledge that a QB is the most important position on the team, (save your Tebow, McCoy arguements) the return of Greene had a drastic effect on the season. Without him, there's a good possibility they wouldn't have gone to a bowl game, and the masses would have been clamoring for Kirk's head.

To the Hawk fans, it shows that you were one player away from having a crappy season, and to cyclone fans, it shows that with just one stud quality playmaker a season's fortunes can change significantly.

You can't say that with any certainty for either team. I could just as easily say that even with a difference-making receiver that with ISU's sieve of an offensive line, it wouldn't matter.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
[/i][/b]

You can't say that with any certainty for either team. I could just as easily say that even with a difference-making receiver that with ISU's sieve of an offensive line, it wouldn't matter.

Sure I can. IMO Iowa's line wasn't THAT good. Over half of Greene's yards were AFTER initial contact. To take it a step further - what if ISU had one killer Offensive Tackle that pancaked everybody? Or a Laurinaitis type linebacker or dominating D End?

Hampton is a decent back. But in no way could he wear a defense down like Greene. He was able to take a lot of pressure off of Stanzi.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron