Shade Tree Recommendation

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
They also love my damn raspberry bushes. I tried a couple of tactics against them last year with some sprays and when I came back they were fornicating all over the leaves. The sprays did nothing. I was appalled and impressed.

I've been using this on my Raspberry bushes for 5 year when the Japanese beetles show up. Works well and only need to reapply after it rains. Plus Its all natural so you don't have to worry about residue. My bed is about 25 feet long and a bottle lasts me several years.
https://www.earlmay.com/earth-rx-insect-control

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone and bos

Mar 21, 2021
Hackberry is an underappreciated, solid choice. Interesting bark, very strong wood, attractive branching form, very little litter, the leaves basically dissolve after falling, put out tiny fruits that birds like, hardy, very easy to grow, long-lived, pretty fast growing, low maintenance.
Some uncommon possible choices: tulip tree, cucumber magnolia, bitternut hickory, blackgum, sweetgum, sycamore/planetree, yellow birch, quaking aspen. I have all of these growing in So. Minn., so if you're in Iowa they should make it.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Catalpa is interesting, showy flowers for an overstory tree, but very dirty ie prolific production of beans resulting in seedlings everywhere.
Ash MIGHT be saved by continuous, perpetual treatment but do you want the expense, time and risk.
Red maples and pin oak frequently suffer from chlorosis in Iowa, depends on soil conditions. If there are others thriving in your neighborhood they may be OK. Can be treated, but doesn't always work well.
Red oaks are the most most suspectible to oak wilt.
Little leaf linens are prone to Japanese beetles, American linens generally aren't, IF you can find them in a nursery.
Aspen won't do well in Iowa, MAYBE in the far north edges.
Swamp white oak do well, although grow kind of slow.
London planetree (sycamore) are most likely to be found in a nursery of any syca, do well BUT get huge, and have dinnerplate sized leaves, if either of those are an issue it's not a good choice for you.
Bur oak grows pretty fast when young, very slow when old so they have a reputation for slow growth. Lots of acorns, largest of oaks in Iowa, if you don't like dealing with those it's not a good choice for you.
Hackberry does well, grows moderately fast.
European larch is unique, looks like an evergreen but is deciduous.
There are a million varieties of thornless honeylocust, compound leaf almost disappears in the fall. Very very commonly planted, is the biggest negative.
Silver maples grow fast, fall down in the wind fast. Helicopter seeds produce seedlings everywhere.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
The best thing about planting trees in a rural/woodlot area is that you can give zero ***** if the tree has pods or beans. God forbid an animal eats something on your property.

Reactions: cowgirl836

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have some Autumn Blaze Maples I planted last year. I really like them. They grow fast (for a tree lol) and turn a really pretty red in the fall. I bought some larger ones (trunk diameter around 2-3" and that seemed to help. We didn't have much luck with smaller trees in the past.

Second the autumn blaze maples. They're relatively clean and one of mine has grown nearly 20' tall in about 4-5 years.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Aspen won't do well in Iowa, MAYBE in the far north edges.

Not that I'd recommend it as a yard tree, though growing up the neighbors did have a couple, aspen are natively relatively common to the state.

machiclone1501

Sep 12, 2019
Landscape architect here. The cool thing about Iowa is that you actually have a lot of flexibility, and the majority of what’s been posted here are good options. All maple options (sugar, autumn blaze, silver) are great options, although I admit I was/am unaware of the DNR’s recommendation not to plant them (I live out of state now). I would probably still stick with a Maple if you want to be safe, because they will DOMINATE any root competition and provide fantastic fall color. My favorite shade tree, though, is the honey locust.

Mar 21, 2021
Thanks. I actually live in Minnesota. We see a few of them around and it looks like they will grow in the Twin Cities but not much farther north. Any idea if a Beech will grow in the Twin Cities?
I've managed to get an American Beech growing here in So. Minn., on like my 3rd try over the years. It is around 3' tall after 4 years. Only marginally hardy here. The range map for the species shows that the native range extends along the western shore of Lake Michigan well up into Wisconsin. And sure enough, if you drive through the beautiful Milwaukee burbs right near the shore in the winter, where the ravines slope to the shore, you can spot beech in the woods, hanging onto their leaves, which turn peach colored in winter. But here in So. Minn. near the 4/5 line, I don't think my beech will ever be very vigorous.

By the way, there's an excellent native plant seller up your way, north of Hastings near the St. Croix, call Out Back Nursery. They carry just about all of the 50-some tree species native to MN. Such as bitternut hickory. Great tree, brilliant fall yellow, yet almost no one plants it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I've managed to get an American Beech growing here in So. Minn., on like my 3rd try over the years. It is around 3' tall after 4 years. Only marginally hardy here. The range map for the species shows that the native range extends along the western shore of Lake Michigan well up into Wisconsin. And sure enough, if you drive through the beautiful Milwaukee burbs right near the shore in the winter, where the ravines slope to the shore, you can spot beech in the woods, hanging onto their leaves, which turn peach colored in winter. But here in So. Minn. near the 4/5 line, I don't think my beech will ever be very vigorous.

By the way, there's an excellent native plant seller up your way, north of Hastings near the St. Croix, call Out Back Nursery. They carry just about all of the 50-some tree species native to MN. Such as bitternut hickory. Great tree, brilliant fall yellow, yet almost no one plants it.
That's great info. Thanks.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I helped my dad plant both a Red Oak that has done outstanding and grown fast- for an oak, and a Swamp White Oak. The Swamp White Oak has grown much slower.

Swamp white oak is the tree I've had my eyes on. Both spots in our front yard are the "low" spots in the yard and hold water the longest. I thought a swamp oak would do well in that type of environment. We are debating about putting in a rain garden in one of the spots and directing our runoff there though so need to figure that out before we plant a tree. I don't want a collection point to be in the shade :)

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Landscape architect here. The cool thing about Iowa is that you actually have a lot of flexibility, and the majority of what’s been posted here are good options. All maple options (sugar, autumn blaze, silver) are great options, although I admit I was/am unaware of the DNR’s recommendation not to plant them (I live out of state now). I would probably still stick with a Maple if you want to be safe, because they will DOMINATE any root competition and provide fantastic fall color. My favorite shade tree, though, is the honey locust.
Do you recommend the podless varieties?
We have a few of these in our neighborhood, that are not podless, and they are really messy.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Do you recommend the podless varieties?
We have a few of these in our neighborhood, that are not podless, and they are really messy.

I had a "sunburst" honey locust at my old place, it was great. Grew fast, tiny leaves, lots of shade but still airy. It had no pods at all. The only problem was you had to trim it pretty much every spring- it would get a lot of downward growing branches on branches. So had to nip those off or you would be driving the mower thru them all summer.

Reactions: DSMCy

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
This pdf from the DNR is the resource I usually use when I need to specify a tree.
Cross-check with the local jurisdiction forestry department (assuming there is one) and try to find something on the DNR's list that the local forester likes. And I try to get a nice variety so not 5 of the same in a row (just a personal preference).

If I was choosing a tree today for my yard, it'd be a Sugar Maple.