Severe Weather Sundays

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It looks as though some individual storms may be able to organize ahead of the main line and pose a threat for tornadoes. Right now the highest risk area seems to be with the storms on the east side of Des Moines and continuing eastward.

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
I see know have a second tornado warning for a supercell out in front of the main line of storms.

The main line of storms is turning into a beautifull looking forward propagating MCC (mesoscale convection complex). Looks like it is starting to turn into a wind event and not so much a hail event.

This complex is going to easily put down 2+ inches of rain because it has a massive area of stratiform precip behind it.

If you have about $80 bucks, the ultimate weather geek program is GRlevel3. It takes the National weather service raw radar feed and lets you manipulate it and see all the 'features' that the typical online free tools doesn't allow. For example, it will show you the possible hail, the size of the hail, where the tornadic velocity signature (TVS) is, Cloud tops, Surface winds, etc...

If you can loop back to around 5:30 pm, watch the outflow boundary from the Ames Cell come down and cause those East side of Des Moines cells to seriously strengthen in only a few minues.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
KCRG has had several good pictures of a well defined tornado on the air as well as damage photos not sure if they are on their web site yet. But they will be soon most likely.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I see know have a second tornado warning for a supercell out in front of the main line of storms.

The main line of storms is turning into a beautifull looking forward propagating MCC (mesoscale convection complex). Looks like it is starting to turn into a wind event and not so much a hail event.

This complex is going to easily put down 2+ inches of rain because it has a massive area of stratiform precip behind it.

If you have about $80 bucks, the ultimate weather geek program is GRlevel3. It takes the National weather service raw radar feed and lets you manipulate it and see all the 'features' that the typical online free tools doesn't allow. For example, it will show you the possible hail, the size of the hail, where the tornadic velocity signature (TVS) is, Cloud tops, Surface winds, etc...

If you can loop back to around 5:30 pm, watch the outflow boundary from the Ames Cell come down and cause those East side of Des Moines cells to seriously strengthen in only a few minues.

That program sounds interesting got a link?

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
Good thing the ground was dry before all this rain. It can soak up a lot this spring.

Maybe the first inch or so of rain soaked in, but Pleasant Hill has 2.5 inches before the main show even gets here in 10 minutes or less. SLeepy HOllow's driving range is almost totally underwater and Four Mile Creek is bankfull already. Empty the trailerparks on the DM eastside !

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone watching KGAN in Cedar Rapids? One of the meteorologists just ripped into the people calling in complaining about NASCAR and golf. I'll paraphrase.

For those of you who are calling in complaining why we aren't showing golf and NASCAR, I'm going to give you the addresses of the two home which received tornado damage this afternoon so you can go there tomorrow to help clean up and explain why you think NASCAR and golf are more important than weather coverage.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Anyone watching KGAN in Cedar Rapids? One of the meteorologists just ripped into the people calling in complaining about NASCAR and golf. I'll paraphrase.

For those of you who are calling in complaining why we aren't showing golf and NASCAR, I'm going to give you the addresses of the two home which received tornado damage this afternoon so you can go there tomorrow to help clean up and explain why you think NASCAR and golf are more important than weather coverage.
But... it's HD!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Well it looks like I will flood tommorow at work :skeptical: im getting kinda sick of working in a flood plain.......... We are forcasted to get as high as 14.2 feet which is about 1 foot from last yrs disaster ugggggggggggghhh

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It can only soak up so much before it has no where to go.

Yes after driving around we are reaching that point. It still drier than in the past at mid soil level but 3 inches of rain will fill that up fast too. We should be better off than we were last year though.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Looking at the radar, we're going to get way more than 2-3 inches of rain out of this thing. Looks like the back part of the rain is going to hit Des Moines just right, too. :sad:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Why would you want to watch kgan anyway?