Secretly Recorded Team Meeting Audio Leaked from Wisconsin MBB

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Just saw Travis Hine tweeted about the MBB program of his alma mater and thought I'd pass along.

https://www.twitter.com/TravisHines21

Here's the recorded audio.

Response from Greg Gard

Last edited:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Alum Sam Dekker deleted his tweet but here was his response to current players:

"Who the hell gave these guys the idea that they’re bigger than the program?

Never been angrier reading an article.

And recording a meeting is the softest thing I’ve ever seen.

Grow up. Coaches coach.

Gard isn’t the one on a 8 min scoring drought every game. Get outta here."

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Man the players come off as a little whiney there, don't they? There's a complete lack of specifics there. The guy's job is to coach them in basketball, not be a cheerleader. Every coach has a different style, and if you don't jive with the coach's style that's why transfers exist.

Just seems a little soft to me...

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I take it Wisconsin isn't one of those states where recording someone without their knowledge is illegal.

Unless he's being an extreme bully or using racist language I guess I don't get the point of releasing the recording. What goal are you hoping to achieve here?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I take it Wisconsin isn't one of those states where recording someone without their knowledge is illegal.

Unless he's being an extreme bully or using racist language I guess I don't get the point of releasing the recording. What goal are you hoping to achieve here?
The meeting seemed justified. It would be difficult to feel like you have no relationship with the head coach. I get that HC are typically in more of the CEO type role, versus the assistants, but from the sounds of it, these guys barely interacted with Gard.

But then to record the meeting and release it 6 months later is bush league. Will be interesting to find out what the motive is here.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The meeting seemed justified. It would be difficult to feel like you have no relationship with the head coach. I get that HC are typically in more of the CEO type role, versus the assistants, but from the sounds of it, these guys barely interacted with Gard.

But then to record the meeting and release it 6 months later is bush league. Will be interesting to find out what the motive is here.

Oh no, I absolutely think the meeting was justified. In fact, every head coach in every sport should have a meeting with outgoing seniors where an honest discussion is had about what could be done better and the problems that the seniors faced that they feel need correcting.

I meant, what was the goal of releasing the recording if there's no "gotcha" moment.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Alum Sam Dekker deleted his tweet but here was his response to current players:

"Who the hell gave these guys the idea that they’re bigger than the program?

Never been angrier reading an article.

And recording a meeting is the softest thing I’ve ever seen.

Grow up. Coaches coach.

Gard isn’t the one on a 8 min scoring drought every game. Get outta here."
Amen. Dekker is spot on.

Reactions: ISUguy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's a whole lot of talking by the players without actually saying anything.

So, yeah, like I don't feel like we have a connection, like, I'm speaking from the heart and 100% agree with what I am saying like, we'd like to have a relationship outside of the court, like with you, like, we have a tough stretch and we feel like we don't have a a good relationship, "starting to cry", I don't know what type of relationship we will have after this.

Nut up whiners

Reactions: NWICY

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
The rumor is one of the assistants was the one who recorded it and tried to use it as some sort of power play. Weak move on his part if true and makes the kids look a little better here

• Wow
Reactions: DSMCy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The rumor is one of the assistants was the one who recorded it and tried to use it as some sort of power play. Weak move on his part if true and makes the kids look a little better here

I think I read somewhere Alando Tucker didn't have his contract renewed as an assistant after last year. Maybe a coincidence, but who knows.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Man, if this was a coach good luck getting another job at any level of hoops. Why torpedo your career for this?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm all for players standing up for themselves in abusive, racist, etc. situations. But thinking your coach needs to be your bestie is a step too far for me. To quote Dan Hawkins, "Go play intramurals, brotha".

• Winner
Reactions: ScottyP

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
They come off like a bunch of soft little babies. I'm no huge fan of Greg Gard but he sat there and took it and didn't interrupt. That showed more balls than any of his players did.

Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I felt like Gard handled this perfect, I'm not sure why people are acting like the program has serious problems. I think the coach recording felt like it would make a bigger splash, even get pushed to a white coach/black players narrative. He definitely had an agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I felt like Gard handled this perfect, I'm not sure why people are acting like the program has serious problems. I think the coach recording felt like it would make a bigger splash, even get pushed to a white coach/black players narrative. He definitely had an agenda.
Remember what program we’re talking about here

Help Support Us

Become a patron