Season review with Dresser

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Nice write-up! I know next to nothing about wrestling, but will say that the current coaching staff has me interested in following along.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Well, dresser was right when he predicted this season being rough. He is predicting next year to be rough too. It’s gunna take some time.

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nice write-up! I know next to nothing about wrestling, but will say that the current coaching staff has me interested in following along.

Agreed. Even as a very causal wrestling fan, I can say there is at least some buzz. If they can show just a bit of improvement each year, it will be something.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Well from our interview he’s very excited about people growing to love this team and going through the rough times with him!

As casual fans I totally encourage you guys to keep following them. Exciting things are to come just have to have some much needed patience!!

Also appreciate all your support this season! I appreciate all the feedback and comments. I read all of them and always take into consideration what you all think! You’re all stuck with me for another season so I’ll be working on stuff to keep you on that wrestling train during the off-season!

Thanks again guys!

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Having to start "Below ground zero" really makes you wonder how Jackson was running the program. My perception was that he was very laid back and didn't want to rattle too many cages or be afraid of asking too much out of his athletes. Such a shame Iowa State wrestling has gotten to that point.

But that being said, I loved what Dresser had to say. It's tough to not be excited about a couple years from now.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Having to start "Below ground zero" really makes you wonder how Jackson was running the program. My perception was that he was very laid back and didn't want to rattle too many cages or be afraid of asking too much out of his athletes. Such a shame Iowa State wrestling has gotten to that point.

But that being said, I loved what Dresser had to say. It's tough to not be excited about a couple years from now.
It's pretty clear that Coach Dresser runs a completely different program than KJ. I feel that KJ has found a much better fit for his skills and strengths working with USA Wrestling and coaching high end guys. KJ has proven that he has a lot to offer world class wrestlers and Dresser has proven he can develop and build wrestlers. The future is bright and Degen proved that this year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m very confident another off the record podcast or whatever cw did with him in the off season would be really well received.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I wish coach Kevin Dresser the best in rebuilding our wrestling program....but.....6/7 years is a lifetime in college athletics. Hopefully Coach Dresser will get us up with the big boys in 3/4 years.

Go Cyclones BEAT the chokeyes

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
A lot of similarities between Dresser and Campbell. Both are saying, Love the process and it will love you back. I love that line and think it probably will work better for Dresser than Campbell just due to the one on one nature of wrestling. There is no where to hide in wrestling. You either commit and succeed or don't and fail.

blangISU

Feb 5, 2018
Sioux City
Would top 20 finish at NCAA's be out of the question next year? Top 15 the following, top 10 in year 4? Seems like a fair progression but having that expectation could be detrimental.

Thanks for all the articles Jacqueline; I particularly liked the ones that involved a lot of quotations from coaches or wrestlers.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Would top 20 finish at NCAA's be out of the question next year? Top 15 the following, top 10 in year 4? Seems like a fair progression but having that expectation could be detrimental.

Thanks for all the articles Jacqueline; I particularly liked the ones that involved a lot of quotations from coaches or wrestlers.
We could be top 10 in year 4 - however I think we will be a better dual team than tourney team the next 2 years

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

I wouldn't get caught up in top 20 vs top 15 vs top 10. Often, the difference from top 20 to top 15 (and top 15 to top 10) is one or two matches on the conso side.
Look at this year for example. The difference between 12th and 7th place was 6 points. The difference between 15th and 10th was 6.5 points. Guys at 149 like Hayes (OSU) and Deakin (NW) don't place because Sorensen lost early and came through the backside. They could have potentially scored another 5+ points rather "easily". Same thing with 157. LeValley loses first round and was cruising through the backside until he ran into Kemerer. There are several examples of this every year. Stuff happens and I don't like to put expectations on a team that hinge on one wrestler having a good day or a bad day.
Simply looking at how the team places at Nationals doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. We only scored a couple more points this year than last year, but throughout the year we competed much better than last season. I just want to see that type of progression every year until we can say we are a legit trophy contender again! To do that, you need to have 1/2 your team be an AA with a couple high AA thrown in there.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016

Thanks for reading them! I'll make sure to keep including and throwing some more stuff from them! Hoping to get more stuff from the whole wrestling staff and more of the team!

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron