***Scottie Scheffler Arrest Thread***

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I did enjoy spending some time clowning on other people who threw around labels like "cop haters" just because people like me thought this whole thing was sus as hell. Lotta silence today from that group.

Saying that bad cops exists and sometimes entire departments band together to do stupid and bad ****, doesn't make one a 'cop hater'. It makes you a realist that wants to see reform.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, I assume this is all going to depend on witnesses.

If the only interaction that happened is what occurred on the video, then the police officer seemed to have overreacted. However, it seems likely that something else happened. If the officer did direct him to stop prior, and fell or got knocked down because Scottie refused to stop, then got up and ran after him, that seems like a pretty reasonable response for the police officer.
Yeah - I definitely think the officer over reacted and I don't see any felony charges based on what we saw. It's just odd on why the officer reacted the way he did. I'm not taking the cops' side, but there seems to be something missing as to why the officer felt the need to be overly aggressive.

So far the videos certainly look like the officer just went after Scottie for no reason. Very strange

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
My understanding is the initial interaction happened before Scottie passed the bus. This video just shows the end. Am I incorrect on that? The cop did himself no favors by not turning on his body cam.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The cop shouldn't be fired for this in my opinion but charges dropped with an apology of "sorry, we overreacted" is fine.

But the bigger issue continues to be police reports being inaccurate or greatly exaggerated with the actual facts. Read the police report and watch this video - night and day difference.

Police reports are just there to assist in getting convictions. aka getting money.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah - I definitely think the officer over reacted and I don't see any felony charges based on what we saw. It's just odd on why the officer reacted the way he did. I'm not taking the cops' side, but there seems to be something missing as to why the officer felt the need to be overly aggressive.

So far the videos certainly look like the officer just went after Scottie for no reason. Very strange

Still going on this huh? JFC. There’s nothing missing . Cops are ******** and power trippers. This isn’t some big mystery.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Will be interesting to get testimonies of the other officers (and others) who were present.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
If Officer Gillis was actually dragged ten yards, why didn’t any of the many officers in the area react?

Maybe they were trying to turn off their body cams.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
This video seems to line up with what the witnesses saw, including the reporter that witnessed the entire event from start to finish and told the same story numerous times on Friday. He never once mentions anything about a cop being dragged, or anything like that. To my knowledge, not a single witness stated that. In seeing this footage, I also have to believe that if the officer was indeed dragged, even before what we see on the video, it would have led to a scramble of multiple offers chasing the vehicle. That does not appear to happen. It isn't until the cop slams his window and it escalates do other officers come to the car.

Which also makes me wonder if any other officers on the scene had their cameras on. If you just saw your fellow officer get dragged by a car, are you not turning on your camera to record what happens next? It is department policy. This whole thing makes the Louisville PD look like like fools and the city even worse for not dropping the charges today. Now the story and the embarrassment drag on even longer for them.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I did enjoy spending some time clowning on other people who threw around labels like "cop haters" just because people like me thought this whole thing was sus as hell. Lotta silence today from that group.

Saying that bad cops exists and sometimes entire departments band together to do stupid and bad ****, doesn't make one a 'cop hater'. It makes you a realist that wants to see reform.

It is like saying "most people are not murderers, so I'm going to give the murderers a pass". Saying "all cops are not bad" does not mean we shouldn't do everything we can to root out the actual bad cops.

I don't think we know enough to say this guy is a "bad cop" but we almost certainly know (and most people correctly pointed out right away) is that he way overreacted and seemed to be on a good power trip.

Scary thing is they charged Scottie with a felony. If this was a Joe Schmoe, they likely double down and might actually pursue these charges. I would guess that is what most people are pissed about. Remember George Floyd's initial police report? He suffered a "medical emergency" while being arrested. All too often these police reports are not reports but the way cops want them to read.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
His team stated upfront that they aren't interested in a plea deal and will take it to court if charges aren't dropped. Wonder how committed he is to that.

It's how DA's get easy convictions. Grossly overcharge people and offer to drop it to a lesser charge. You can try and prove your innocence but risk something like a felony over something minor. Lot of people will cop to the plea whether innocent or guilty.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
This video seems to line up with what the witnesses saw, including the reporter that witnessed the entire event from start to finish and told the same story numerous times on Friday. He never once mentions anything about a cop being dragged, or anything like that. To my knowledge, not a single witness stated that. In seeing this footage, I also have to believe that if the officer was indeed dragged, even before what we see on the video, it would have led to a scramble of multiple offers chasing the vehicle. That does not appear to happen. It isn't until the cop slams his window and it escalates do other officers come to the car.

Which also makes me wonder if any other officers on the scene had their cameras on. If you just saw your fellow officer get dragged by a car, are you not turning on your camera to record what happens next? It is department policy. This whole thing makes the Louisville PD look like like fools and the city even worse for not dropping the charges today. Now the story and the embarrassment drag on even longer for them.

You are probably right about seeing multiple officers chasing the vehicle.

It wouldn't surprise me if the officer talked to him before the video, maybe fell, then ran after the vehicle.

If you listen to the eye-witness reporter (Darlington), his eye witness story does not match the video. Darlington said this of the incident.
"They told him to stop. When he didn't stop, the police officer attached himself to the vehicle. Scheffler then traveled another 10 yards before stopping the car. The police offer then grabbed at his arm attempting to pull him out of the car before Scheffler attempted to open the door."

Per the video, Darlington must have misremembered part of it. In the video, it doesn't look like officer attached himself to the car until after Scheffler stopped. Either Darlington was completely wrong about the 10 yards before stopping the car, or something happened when Scheffler was by the bus. Perhaps the 10 yards was while he was behind the bus, the cop fell to the ground, then chased after the car.

I don't really see other cops actively watching the incident, either.

Either way, the felony charge seems excessive, but the other charges don't seem egregious.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

A lot of overly aggressive people become cops. It may not be the situation that caused the overreaction as you are speculating… it might just be this persons nature.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

This is just me...but after reading "suspended for doing donuts drunk in his police car"..this guy is completely at fault and Scheffler clearly didn't do anything wrong.

If anything the cop is probably guilty of stuff we don't even know about just in this one incident.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The cop shouldn't be fired for this in my opinion but charges dropped with an apology of "sorry, we overreacted" is fine.

They never do that. I think it's pretty much impossible for them to have remorse or admit a mistake.

My local police chief defended his guys for beating the crap out of a harmless 90 lb NPR reporter. Within minutes of his false statements, footage was released by CBS that proved him a total liar. They dropped charges but never admitted they were wrong, admitted they lied or apologized. The craziest part of the lie was chief of police claimed she didn't identify herself as a reporter but the CBS video shows her credential badge and you can even hear her screaming the name of her radio station. The guy was successfully primaried out for that and a lot of other lies, might still have his job if he just ever told the truth.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
This isn’t a one bad cop situation, any of them could have prevented that wild overreaction from turning into a guy going to jail charged with felonies. It’s not the one cop that lied about what happened in the police report, and it’s not one bad actor that didn’t get the charges dropped after it was obvious what happened.

This is an example of a rotten system, not one guy who sucks at his job.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Do I believe the cop was a d-ck? Yes. Do I think Scottie likely misunderstood the directions and/or the expectation of the cop? Yes. Do I think the cop overreacted? Yes.

Even if something occurred behind the bus before we can see the Car in the video, it is obvious the car was not moving at a speed which would require a cop to hang onto or jump onto the car. Also, if he had truly been dragged by the car, why don’t we see more aggression by the other cops?

Bad situation created by an overzealous cop it appears.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron