Saturday Night Lights Camp (June 10)

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Iowa State's summer on-campus camp circuit will get underway tonight when the program hosts its first Friday Night Lights Camp. I've heard the next two camps will likely be bigger weekends for visitors (including Re-al Mitchell and Sterling Galban being here next weekend), but there's still a handful of key guys set to be this week.

Here are a few of the guys I'm hearing will be at the camp:

*** The biggest fish set to be there on Saturday is Dowling defensive end John Waggoner. Iowa State became the first school to offer the state's top prospect last summer when he was on campus for one of these camps and he's since become one of the top priorities on the staff's board. His other suitors include Iowa, Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida and Ohio State so anytime Iowa State can get him on campus is big.

*** Iowa State was the first Power 5 school to offer Georgia safety Aaron Casey during the spring and he'll be on campus this weekend. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound three-star also holds offers from Rutgers, West Virginia, Indiana and quite a few others.

*** Cedar Falls 2019 linebacker Jack Campbell has become one of the staff's top priorities for the next cycle over the last few months. His other offers are from Iowa and Northern Iowa, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that list grow after the camp circuit this summer.

*** Iowa State was the first school to offer Texas running back Isaiah Spiller, but since then Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M and a handful of other schools have offered too. This will be a good opportunity for the Cyclones to make an impression on the No. 22 running back in the 2019 class.

*** One last guy who will be interesting to see will be Illinois 2021 quarterback JJ McCarthy. He caught the staff's eye during the satellite camp at North Central (IL) last week and picked up an invite to camp. It will be interesting to see if the Cyclones offer after getting another chance to see him up close.

I'll be out at camp today so I'll have updates.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Iowa State's summer on-campus camp circuit will get underway tonight when the program hosts its first Friday Night Lights Camp. I've heard the next two camps will likely be bigger weekends for visitors (including Re-al Mitchell and Sterling Galban being here next weekend), but there's still a handful of key guys set to be this week.

Here are a few of the guys I'm hearing will be at the camp:

*** The biggest fish set to be there on Saturday is Dowling defensive end John Waggoner. Iowa State became the first school to offer the state's top prospect last summer when he was on campus for one of these camps and he's since become one of the top priorities on the staff's board. His other suitors include Iowa, Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida and Ohio State so anytime Iowa State can get him on campus is big.

*** Iowa State was the first Power 5 school to offer Georgia safety Aaron Casey during the spring and he'll be on campus this weekend. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound three-star also holds offers from Rutgers, West Virginia, Indiana and quite a few others.

*** Cedar Falls 2019 linebacker Jack Campbell has become one of the staff's top priorities for the next cycle over the last few months. His other offers are from Iowa and Northern Iowa, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that list grow after the camp circuit this summer.

*** Iowa State was the first school to offer Texas running back Isaiah Spiller, but since then Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M and a handful of other schools have offered too. This will be a good opportunity for the Cyclones to make an impression on the No. 22 running back in the 2019 class.

*** One last guy who will be interesting to see will be Illinois 2021 quarterback JJ McCarthy. He caught the staff's eye during the satellite camp at North Central (IL) last week and picked up an invite to camp. It will be interesting to see if the Cyclones offer after getting another chance to see him up close.

Jared, so what stood out to you at the camp? That is a good list for the first camp.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
My son was hanging out on central campus with his girlfriend Saturday and saw CMC and one of the recruits touring campus. He said he yelled "Go Cyclones" as they passed. He said the campus is looking great. Very beautiful right now.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
My son was hanging out on central campus with his girlfriend Saturday and saw CMC and one of the recruits touring campus. He said he yelled "Go Cyclones" as they passed. He said the campus is looking great. Very beautiful right now.

He the recruit or your son?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Am I thinking right that this kid will be going into his FRESHMAN year in High School? And he's coming to a camp?

Must have had some kind of Jr. High outing!

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Wanted to drop by and share a few notes from Saturday night.

*** After seeing him up close, I can definitely understand why Dowling defensive end John Waggoner has blown up since the end of his junior season, landing offers from schools such as Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma and a host of others. He looks the part of a Power 5 defensive end. I hope to have more on him early in the week.

*** Cedar Falls LB Jack Campbell was clearly the best prospect participating in the camp. He's a big kid for just having finished his sophomore season. He's listed at 6-foot-3, 200-pounds, but it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next two years. I wouldn't be surprised if a move to defensive end came at some point in his future. It is incredibly early in his recruitment, but he will be a fun kid to follow leading up to signing day in 2019.

*** It is sounding like next weekend's Saturday Night Lights camp is shaping up to be a pretty big one. A handful of 2018 commits and some of the top prospects on Iowa State's board are hoping to make it to Ames. There's a chance Texas running back Ta'Zhawn Henry could make the trip with wide receiver commit Sterling Galban.

I'll have some recruiting content early in the week.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Wanted to drop by and share a few notes from Saturday night.

*** After seeing him up close, I can definitely understand why Dowling defensive end John Waggoner has blown up since the end of his junior season, landing offers from schools such as Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma and a host of others. He looks the part of a Power 5 defensive end. I hope to have more on him early in the week.

*** Cedar Falls LB Jack Campbell was clearly the best prospect participating in the camp. He's a big kid for just having finished his sophomore season. He's listed at 6-foot-3, 200-pounds, but it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next two years. I wouldn't be surprised if a move to defensive end came at some point in his future. It is incredibly early in his recruitment, but he will be a fun kid to follow leading up to signing day in 2019.

*** It is sounding like next weekend's Saturday Night Lights camp is shaping up to be a pretty big one. A handful of 2018 commits and some of the top prospects on Iowa State's board are hoping to make it to Ames. There's a chance Texas running back Ta'Zhawn Henry could make the trip with wide receiver commit Sterling Galban.

I'll have some recruiting content early in the week.
Re-Al is supposed to be coming as well right? If he and Galban could get in Henry's ear that would be great. Bet he goes to TCU unfortunately.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Jared, did they finish the camp with best-on-best drills on the Jack Trice Stadium field? That is so cool. I'm assuming that Waggoner and Campbell were involved. Do you think anybody else got the attention of the staff? Last year, Iowa City West's Oliver Martin was at the first camp before he blew up and ended up going to Michigan. I remember telling myself that I need to watch him, even though he only had a UNI offer at the time.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jared, did they finish the camp with best-on-best drills on the Jack Trice Stadium field? That is so cool. I'm assuming that Waggoner and Campbell were involved. Do you think anybody else got the attention of the staff? Last year, Iowa City West's Oliver Martin was at the first camp before he blew up and ended up going to Michigan. I remember telling myself that I need to watch him, even though he only had a UNI offer at the time.

Waggoner didn't participate in camp. He just watched from the sidelines.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron