Satellite installer

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
I have Directv coming out this afternoon to install a dish. Are there any suggestions on what I should ask for? Or anything that I should request they NOT do? I do want all the cable run through the walls but I'm not sure if there are any other things that might save some money either upfront or in the long-run.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I think most satellite installers can do it wireless now. I know because I had a landlord that didn't want to drill anything into the walls. They say there is a law that a landlord cannot keep you from getting cable and wireless is their was around this. It might cost you a little bit more money, but if your afraid of having too many holes in your wall this is the way to go.

Nevermind, I just re-read your post, and noticed that I read it wrong.

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
I have Directv coming out this afternoon to install a dish. Are there any suggestions on what I should ask for? Or anything that I should request they NOT do? I do want all the cable run through the walls but I'm not sure if there are any other things that might save some money either upfront or in the long-run.

Ask them to show you the signal strength, have them program all of the remotes for both the tvs and Directv boxes and make sure you feel comfortable with where they are mounting the dish. My first two homes I had no problems with these issues, but the last installer here in PA tried to do everything half-a**ed. Also, make sure they seal the opening they bring the lines into your house through. Think about if you are going to expand the number of rooms, tvs, etc. It is most likely easier to do it now and have the wires run than to get them back out there when you need them.

All in all I have had very good luck with Directv. I think because f how busy they are that it can be a bit of a crap shoot. The guy I had a couple of weeks ago here in PA was brought in to work the area from 5 hours away because the demand is so high for new installations.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Make sure you can easily get to the the duplexer. They usually mount it on the outside of the house, which is good. In my case, I had them put it inside of a ceiling which isn't a good idea.

I don't know if you're getting a DVR or not but I would have them run two lines to every TV regardless.

Make sure you get there number so that if you have problems you can call them directly instead of Directv.

BTW-You can't do this without wires and yes they should put it through your walls. They are being paid to do so. Tell them exactly how you want it because this will be your one and only chance.

Last edited:

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I have had my dish ice up a couple of times the past 2 years, and I am glad it was not mounted on top of the house. I could get to it and clean it off. I mounted it on a post that I installed next to the house.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Just an FYI, generally going up into the attic will run you extra too.

They are often reticent to run extra cable because the installers have to pay for it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron