RV Donor Lots - Where to Park Towed Car

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
If you have a drive-able RV, the official ISU stance is no towed cars can be parked with RV's in the RV donor lot. You CAN keep your truck/SUV/other in the lot if you have a pull behind, a policy the nice lady told me was put into effect when they had a fire and they couldn't move the campers.

We tow our car so looking for a place to park the car, especially with the City of Ames newly minted NO PARKING on game day map out.

This would really only apply to Friday night as after the game on Saturdays I've never seen anyone policing the lots for passes as most have gone home.

Thanks for any suggestions!

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
My friend is renting out some spots on game day. He is a block west of Hyvee on Lincoln Way, about a 15 min walk to the stadium. PM me if you want his contact info.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
WalMart our the west HyVee would probably be good options. I wouldn’t park at the east HyVee.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
Where do people park now that it isn’t allowed at the old Kmart? Does Walmart allow it?

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
FWIW, the city doesn't have a "no parking" area. It has a "no illegal parking" area. Side streets are still an option (just like always), but follow the signs to save yourself a ticket.

Yes, I've looked at the parking map put out by the city so I have full awareness. Having my car close (for an emergency) and parking legally is the issue.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
You seem to be splitting hairs and want to start an argument, which I will not engage in.

Have a great day!
I don’t think he’s trying to argue. He’s just making sure you know you can still park on the side streets near the stadium. Just don’t park illegally.
Because at first, the map the city released kind of makes it seem like you can’t park there anymore. Which isn’t the case.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
I don’t think he’s trying to argue. He’s just making sure you know you can still park on the side streets near the stadium. Just don’t park illegally.
Because at first, the map the city released kind of makes it seem like you can’t park there anymore. Which isn’t the case.

I've studied the map and know my options if I want to go that route, as I've already stated. I'm trying to find something closer due special circumstances.

Whether a spot on the street is NO PARKING or ILLEGAL PARKING makes not one bit of difference if you will get towed or fined.

And, I'm willing to bet the signs on game day say NO PARKING, not ILLEGAL PARKING.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I've studied the map and know my options if I want to go that route, as I've already stated. I'm trying to find something closer due special circumstances.

Whether a spot on the street is NO PARKING or ILLEGAL PARKING makes not one bit of difference if you will get towed or fined.

And, I'm willing to bet the signs on game day say NO PARKING, not ILLEGAL PARKING.
The only thing closer than those side streets would be the actual parking lots. Either GA or donor lots. And since the GA lots don’t open until 6 hrs prior to kick, your best bet is parking in a legal space on a side street.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's $13 a day to park at the Memorial Union parking ramp. When you pull into town stop by the union and park the car then take the RV over to the lots.

SpringCreekCY

Oct 13, 2014
It's $13 a day to park at the Memorial Union parking ramp. When you pull into town stop by the union and park the car then take the RV over to the lots.

I saw that last week when searching for options but I didn't know if you can park overnight.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm just here to say you can park on side streets but don't do it illegally. Hope this helps.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

As I recall, “illegal parking” involves which side of the street you can park on, on which day of the week. Not blanket “no parking”.

As I recall, it was originated as an attempt to keep students from parking their cars on the side streets, and just leaving them there all week.

I think hours of the day are also included for when a car has to be moved to the other side, but I’m not sure that would be relevant for you.

Again, “illegal parking” vs “no parking”. Hope that helps.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
There used to be some lots on campus for general staff that didn't need a permit for the weekend. Some were north of the RCA residence halls. You would have to verify by the signage at each lot. I believe a lot of students move there cars to these lots during home football games.

These lots generally don't require a permit after 5:30 on Friday. You would have to check around.

https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/?layer=parking&ycenter=2039&xcenter=1753&zoom=2

https://www.parking.iastate.edu/map

Hope this helps.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017

In another attempt to bring clarity. Everyone can still street park in the red areas on gamedays. The change is that the fines are increased for being illegally parked in those areas from $20 to $40 on the 7 football game days. There will still be be plenty of legal street parking in the red zones on gamedays like there has been in years past, just need to follow the posted signs (which haven't changed).

• Winner
Reactions: cyclonedave25