Rumor= CPR is about to get a raise

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
These are my feelings as well.

Pollard went WAY out on a limb when he offered Rhoads a 10 year deal for 20 million. At that time, Rhoads hadn't even really done that much here. 6-6 is not deserving of that contract, not even close. But Jamie gave him that deal because he felt Rhoads was the right guy to get us where he wanted us to go, not based on what he had done.

If Rhoads is the guy I think he is, he won't demand more. That's what guys like Chizik and KF do, not Paul Rhoads. Rhoads is the type of guy that would give up another pay raise in order to bowl in the SEZ.

Rhoads is not worth 3 million a year. Going to the Toilet Bowl is not deserving of 3 million a year, I'm sorry. I love Rhoads and I hope he stays at ISU forever, but Pollard is running a business and he can't just fork out whatever his coaches demand either.

Oh, and by the way, 2 million a year in Ames, Iowa is about the equivalent of getting paid 6 million a year at Southern Cal in terms of cost of living. 2 million a year in Ames is a boat load.

Log back and look at the history of ISU football. 6-6 may not be impressive to many schools but it is an achievement at ISU. Especially playing round-robin, unlike Coach Mac's teams. Add in our increased attendance and he and his assistants should be paid more. He has been great for ISU.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I like Coach Rhoads a lot and know he has done a lot for this program, he works hard I understand that. I only see him getting a raise as of right now is because of matching another offer. I do think we need to keep him here, but if we cannot and he leaves for more money then all I can say is good bye and best of luck. In all this speculation I really think he is here for a little longer, how long only Paul knows. All I got to say is Vols and Razorback nations of the world would not be happy in year three with a .500 record so he and other coaches hope they realize that.

They will spit you out as fast as they brought you there.

As a lifelong Cyclone fan, I cannot believe I am reading this. You do realize that ISU is maybe in the bottom 5 jobs of all BCS schools - history, tradition, location, recruiting grounds, budget. The new FB building certainly helps but stadium is one of the worst in conference, especially when Baylor gets their new one. As long as we don't add a track around the field, we won't be the ottom, but we aren't far above it.

A 6-win season here is the equivalent of at least a 10-win season at Texas or OU.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
As a lifelong Cyclone fan, I cannot believe I am reading this. You do realize that ISU is maybe in the bottom 5 jobs of all BCS schools - history, tradition, location, recruiting grounds, budget. The new FB building certainly helps but stadium is one of the worst in conference, especially when Baylor gets their new one. As long as we don't add a track around the field, we won't be the ottom, but we aren't far above it.

A 6-win season here is the equivalent of at least a 10-win season at Texas or OU.

Now that ain't right.

It is challenging to win at ISU, sure, but let's not set the expectation bar quite THAT low.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008

I am not saying I want Rhoads to leave I am saying that if we cannot match money and he leaves for said more money then all I can say is best of luck coach, how is that being negative? I have been a Cyclone fan for close to 30yrs and know the challenges we face. Going 6-6 and being in this league is no slouch , but even Coach has said he wants to do more.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Sorry, I remember a special night when we beat Texas on the road and the team came back for the pep rally and Coach said he can promise us a Big Twelve title...................he set the bar himself here not us, although we have backed him very well.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It would mean that someone has offered him a job, at least the OP knew that CPR makes 1.5 mil

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Now that ain't right.

It is challenging to win at ISU, sure, but let's not set the expectation bar quite THAT low.

Exactly! we were very close to being an 8 or 9 win team. Those losses were toss ups that we lost. A few more playmakers and we would have won those games. (yes, i know we could have also only won 4-5 games)

We have the proper base for the future, now we just need to execute.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Now that ain't right.

Yeah... i might say 8 wins here = 10 wins there. I wouldnt say 6=10. Aside from the chizik debacle, we've actually gotten to a point since 2000 that going to a bowl is fairly common.

00-Bowl
01-Bowl
02-Bowl
03-No bowl
04-Bowl
05-Bowl
06-No bowl ('resigned')
Chizik Debacle
09- Bowl
10- No bowl
11- Bowl
12- Bowl

6-6 isnt that impressive even at ISU. Lets not forget we fired (or 'resigned') the last guy who only just made it to bowls consistently.

I love CPR, and i hope he can take things to the next level, but the fact is he hasn't proven yet that he can get over this 6-6 level. And locking ourselves into an even larger long term contract on that yet unproven quantity is very risky if he can't ultimately get over that hump.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Coach Rhoads isn't goin anywhere. Not with this new facility that's customized by Yancy and there isn't another one like it in the country. Not with where his sons are at in high school. And not with his dad and brother living close. I dont see him leaving no matter where the offer's from.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Coach Rhoads isn't goin anywhere. Not with this new facility that's customized by Yancy and there isn't another one like it in the country. Not with where his sons are at in high school. And not with his dad and brother living close. I dont see him leaving no matter where the offer's from.

And not with the success he has the program positioned for.
If you are CPR, given what you were able to do with little momentum handed over from Chizik, you have to feel pretty good about what you can accomplish in the future. Better rosters, better facilities, better exposure- CPR is not going to sell low.

D

DistrictCyclone

Yeah... i might say 8 wins here = 10 wins there. I wouldnt say 6=10. Aside from the chizik debacle, we've actually gotten to a point since 2000 that going to a bowl is fairly common.

00-Bowl
01-Bowl
02-Bowl
03-No bowl
04-Bowl
05-Bowl
06-No bowl ('resigned')
Chizik Debacle
09- Bowl
10- No bowl
11- Bowl
12- Bowl

6-6 isnt that impressive even at ISU. Lets not forget we fired (or 'resigned') the last guy who only just made it to bowls consistently.

I love CPR, and i hope he can take things to the next level, but the fact is he hasn't proven yet that he can get over this 6-6 level. And locking ourselves into an even larger long term contract on that yet unproven quantity is very risky if he can't ultimately get over that hump.

I'm willing to give CPR a little more slack that Mac for "just making bowls" because the path to bowl eligibility has undeniably become much harder. Especially these past 2 years, when we're not only playing with better teams in the conference, but we're playing one more of them each season compared to when Mac was in charge.

The 04 and 05 squads in particular come to mind. They were a lot of fun because we shocked everyone in 04 (picked to lose every game but one) and we had some great upsets in 05 (Iowa and Colorado), but becoming bowl eligible in those years had as much to do with the Big 12 North being a cesspool and us somehow dodging both OU and Texas for 2 years in a row.

That said, I join everyone here in saying that we'll tire of 6-6 year after year; at some point, this program will have to take the next step, no matter how difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Rumor has it that Arkansas just offered a cool $5.5 million a year to Les Miles to leave LSU... I don't think CPR is on their radar if they're going that big. Pretty sure that would make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA... Impressive on Arkansas's part, and glad to see they are looking elsewhere (not at CPR).

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Rumor has it that Arkansas just offered a cool $5.5 million a year to Les Miles to leave LSU... I don't think CPR is on their radar if they're going that big. Pretty sure that would make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA... Impressive on Arkansas's part, and glad to see they are looking elsewhere (not at CPR).

That's serious coin, even for SEC schools. This from the guys who put an interim coach in on the cheap after firing their coach for lying (and other assorted things), and they wondered why they had a losing season...

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

00-Bowl
01-Bowl
02-Bowl
03-No bowl
04-Bowl
05-Bowl
06-No bowl ('resigned')
Chizik Debacle
09- Bowl
10- No bowl
11- Bowl
12- Bowl

I just threw 10 wins out there as a comparison but it isn't far off. I see your list of bowl performance and offer a list of Texas records in the same period...

2012 - 8 wins thus far
11 - 8-5
10 - 5-7
09 - 13-1
08 - 12-1
07 - 10-3
06 - 10-3
05 - 13-0
04 - 11-1
03 - 10-3
02 - 11-2
01 - 11-2
00 9-3

A bowl at ISU looks to be a equivalent of 10 wins at Texas. 8 wins here would look to be the equivalent of a national title at UT. All I am saying is we need to temper expectations a bit. It is great to expect a bowl but the attitude of many in this thread seems to be... Meh, he can leave because we are only 6-6 in year 4. That is a dangerous mindset. All I am saying.