RIP Donnie Duncan

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Sad to hear this...I believe you simply from looking at the video....obvious end-stage cancer. He had many accomplishments in the football world...great to see that he received an award before he passed. I was in Jr. High/HS when he was Coach, but my Dad (who was 2 years younger than Donnie & died of cancer a few years ago) was big into the Cyclone Club and met him many times...apparently he was a fun guy. Thanks for passing the info along:(

Another addition to drop by the Cyclone Club outings "upstairs."

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm thinking of you Donnie, Rest In Peace my friend and may God's Grace and Eternal Goodness Be Upon You.......

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I knew he wasn't well but still hard to wake up to this news. He was always good to be around. Those seasons always started out so well and for whatever reason we didn't finish strong. RIP Coach.

attachment.php

Attachments

• p787556105-5.jpg
    p787556105-5.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 972

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Reading about this online, his son Mark died in 2014. I think he was in high school when Donnie was here so he was probably late 40's.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
The Duncan era was underrated. Would like to have know more about the cause of his departure, which seemed abrupt. There was little scrutiny in the press in general, though, and certainly no blogs, tweets, or forums like CF in those days. Back in the day, guys were like John Wayne. When your time was up, you just got back on your horse, and rode off into the sunset.

Adios, coach Duncan!
cowboy-sunset.jpg

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Paul Rhoads gave a shout out to Donnie after our last win against Iowa on national tv. At the time people wondered why Paul said "this ones for you Donnie Duncan" to the sideline reporter but knew Donnie was in bad shape and probably watching the game on tv.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I knew he wasn't well but still hard to wake up to this news. He was always good to be around. Those seasons always started out so well and for whatever reason we didn't finish strong. RIP Coach.

attachment.php

That's what I remember too, great season starts and playing "Another One Bites The Dust" on the PA after the victories. He was a good man and thoughts and prayers for his family.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Donnie Duncan was a good man. And we mourn his passing. Condolences to his family.

Duncan's teams didn't achieve what we hoped they would achieve. The cupboard was full and we had it going really good at the time Earle Bruce left. But he was still a good man and a good person.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The Duncan era was underrated. Would like to have know more about the cause of his departure, which seemed abrupt. There was little scrutiny in the press in general, though, and certainly no blogs, tweets, or forums like CF in those days. Back in the day, guys were like John Wayne. When your time was up, you just got back on your horse, and rode off into the sunset.

Adios, coach Duncan!

Didn't he leave to for more money in the business world? It really was different then, it seems the AD job was a better gig than the head football coach.