Rhoads was Big 12's lowest paid coach last season

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Also, remember that CPR was offered more but took less for the better of the program.

Don't let last year bring him down too much. It was a bad situation from the beginning, yes he hired Mess.. But he's made up for that mistake now. We were young, inexperienced, banged up, and played one of the toughest schedules.

Lost 5 games by seven or less.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
First off, as someone else mentioned, JP gave Rhoads basically a 10 year deal worth 20 million. The per year outlay isn't that great for a Big 12 coach, but the 10 years is. I doubt if many other coaches have 10 year deals. That gives Rhoads a TON of financial security over someone else that might make 3 million a year, but only has a 4 year deal.

Rhoads signed it, and thought it was fair, so be it. Unless he does something remarkable here and has a lot of other offers on the table, why should JP pay him more?

He's right about where he should be at with the results he's had IMO.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Weiss is overpaid to a comic degree given they're still paying their last coach…other than that this is just a stacked league of coaches. You could argue Kingsbury is still somewhat unproven. Not sure CPR could rationally be paid above the other 7, some incredible coaches.

tonyfil

Aug 25, 2013
Des Moines
Art Briles' WIKI page shows his salary is $4.2MM which seems high. Either way, I'd be up for a swap with Baylor. Briles has engineered a true transformation. Why couldn't ISU find a Briles type. Jermey Pruitt, Chad Morris, Bob Diaco prior to putting such a lengthy contract...now stuck with it...for sure don't consider a raise until he produces Briles' type production.

The right coach and the right location. I don't think you can lose the fact the Baylor is in between Dallas and Austin in Texas. Then again - I realize the Midwest schools can perform with the right staff. Who knows

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
The right coach and the right location. I don't think you can lose the fact the Baylor is in between Dallas and Austin in Texas. Then again - I realize the Midwest schools can perform with the right staff. Who knows

It's a helluva lot easier to recruit Texas home grown kids who might be under the radar of UT or A&M and convince them to stay home in Texas vs. come North to Iowa. Although I think a lot of kids that come here really enjoy it when it's all said and done. ISU is a great place!

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
So a couple things that really hurt CPR and ISU Football.

1. He took over the program when the league was on the verge of collapsing.
2. He took over a program that had 2 of the worst football seasons in ISU history (and that is saying a lot)
3. I don't think people realize how much that 9th conference game hurts ISU. Look at who many BigTen and SEC teams wouldn't go to a bowl game if they had to play an extra real game.
4. The weather and being in Iowa in General. Not easy. Our recruiting base is South etc..

This being said. He is getting some serious upgrades and should be able to break out one of these years.
My tolerance for a 10 year period would be 5 low end bowl games, 2 decent ones and 3 misses. Anything on top that would be awesome.

But there is really no excuse for winning less than 4 games.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
No one deserves a pay raise when you get dominated by UNI and then suffer the worst loss in program history - 71-7 to a team not ranked in the top 10. He is lucky to still have a job.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
No one deserves a pay raise when you get dominated by UNI and then suffer the worst loss in program history - 71-7 to a team not ranked in the top 10. He is lucky to still have a job.

Best coach we've had since Bruce. Lots of idiots any more in this fanbase.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

It's amazing what one year full of youth and rebuilding does. We'd be in a lot worse shape if it weren't for CPR. Forget about last year, this team is going to pick up where it left off the year before. Bowl eligible again.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
It's amazing what one year full of youth and rebuilding does. We'd be in a lot worse shape if it weren't for CPR. Forget about last year, this team is going to pick up where it left off the year before. Bowl eligible again.

Seems like we're perpetually young and rebuilding. Either way, no matter how young an ISU team is, they should never get smoked by UNI like they did that night.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Seems like we're perpetually young and rebuilding. Either way, no matter how young an ISU team is, they should never get smoked by UNI like they did that night.

Iowa State is the most talented they have been in a long time. I seen the same thing with the Chiefs... Loaded with talent and it took a coaching change to start to reach that potential. Same thing with the 49ers a few years earlier. Messingham held the team back, and maybe even to a bigger extent our OL coach.. They for sure didn't buy into him.

And we were senior heavy the year before, our OC/QB coach just held us back. The talent is there, and now the coaching staff is too. Mangino did a hell of a lot more at Kansas with less than he has here.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa State is the most talented they have been in a long time. I seen the same thing with the Chiefs... Loaded with talent and it took a coaching change to start to reach that potential. Same thing with the 49ers a few years earlier. Messingham held the team back, and maybe even to a bigger extent our OL coach.. They for sure didn't buy into him.

And we were senior heavy the year before, our OC/QB coach just held us back. The talent is there, and now the coaching staff is too. Mangino did a hell of a lot more at Kansas with less than he has here.

We're as talented as we've ever been, and got our arses handed to us by UNI and lost 71-7 to Baylor. That can only mean one thing.... our coaches stink bad.

So why would we give the head man a raise at this point? I could coach an ISU team to lose to UNI and go on to a 3 win season. And I'd do it for $300,000 a year versus the 1.7 million Rhoads is getting. Could save JP some money.

Don't get me wrong... I think Rhoads is the man for this job. I think he will get it turned back around. By why in the world would JP give him a raise at this point? If anything, he deserves a pay cut until he can at least win the games he's supposed to.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron