Restraunts In Ankeny

Aaron Jacobs

Sep 24, 2007
Robins, IA
I'm going into Ankeny tomorrow to have lunch with my mother. What are some of the better restraunts? Preferably not chains. Thanks in advance!

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Ankeny is the land of the chains. Well, not as much as WDM, but still. If you like barbecue, there's a place called Bandana's on 1st. I really don't know if that's a chain or not. I've never heard of it before they came here. I've gotten used to the chains. I've been to Bear's once, and wasn't that impressed. I prefer Old Chicago or Okoboji Grill when I go out in this town. I also really like Cazador's, but that's also at least a local chain. Chip's is the only other non-chain I can think of, but I've never really liked their food. :-/

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Having lurked here for years, I finally felt compelled to register to help you...other posters seem to be befuddled by your question.

Chinese: Jade Garden
Mexican: El Azteca
Pasta & Pizza...great weekday lunch buffet....Yanni's
Deli: Palmer's Deli or CJ's Bagels and Salads
Sports Bar (burgers, soup, sandwiches, etc.): Benchwarmers
"Ladies who Lunch" type of place w/soups sandwiches, etc.: Noodle Zoo
General: Bear's or Chips...wide variety of things here
BBQ: Papa Chubby's (Bandana's is OK...but it is a chain)

Have a nice lunch!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Waterfront has great seafood and their lunch menus are a lot less spendy than the evening fare.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Leaning Tower of Pizza is good. I like Chips, Bears, and lucky bamboo!

kkise

Jun 25, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Having lurked here for years, I finally felt compelled to register to help you...other posters seem to be befuddled by your question.

Chinese: Jade Garden
Mexican: El Azteca
Pasta & Pizza...great weekday lunch buffet....Yanni's
Deli: Palmer's Deli or CJ's Bagels and Salads
Sports Bar (burgers, soup, sandwiches, etc.): Benchwarmers
"Ladies who Lunch" type of place w/soups sandwiches, etc.: Noodle Zoo
General: Bear's or Chips...wide variety of things here
BBQ: Papa Chubby's (Bandana's is OK...but it is a chain)

Have a nice lunch!
Papa Chubby's is good

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Bandana's is a chain (based out of St. Louis), so is Okoboji, as well as Noodle Zoo.

IMO, a restaurant is a restaurant, regardless if it's a chain or a mom and pop flavoered.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was in Ankeny for work yesterday and drove by Palmer's Deli and wished I hadn't eaten lunch already so I'd say that.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Right next to Bear's is the Yankee Clipper! I think the special today is the hot beef. Tuesday's special is their awesome taco.

cyclonesurveyor - are you a member of the Hamm's Club? I just attended the fall show in St Paul last weekend.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I've been working at various clients in Ankeny for the last month and Bandana's is by for my favorite. I like Jade Garden to but their service is so slowwwwwwwwwww. I also like Yanni's.