Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The Big East didn't go willingly, didn't have anything like a GOR, nor did the ACC at the time Maryland left, which was also in serious financial straits when the B1G came calling.

Does a GOR have anything to do with conference pride?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I think so? Either way, it makes ACC schools' media rights untouchable through 2036. At least, that's what I've been told.
Not untouchable. Just more expensive. Maybe too expensive for the next couple years, but when you get within 5 years of that deal being up, the league could dissolve quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not for ESPN, when that’s the only game in town and they can cut the credit cards for the rest of the ACC pretty quick.

So ESPN can just null and void the ACC's GOR? This is what was reported when it was signed:

The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
So ESPN can just null and void the ACC's GOR? This is what was reported when it was signed:

The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC.

No, I’m saying they have an easier path to making a deal where everyone agrees to reduce or ignore the GOR for the teams leaving.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
IMO a 16 team SEC doesn't guarantee the SEC getting more teams in a 12 team playoff than when they had 14 teams. If Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, A&M, OU and Texas beat up on each other- more 2-3 loss teams might mean a tougher road to the playoffs. That doesn't even include games against historically solid teams in Auburn
IMO the key for the SEC to maximize ms is having 4 divisions of 5 TE]

Everyone keeps saying this, but the playoff committee will for sure take an 8-4 or 9-3 SEC team over a 10-2 Pac 12 or ACC team without question.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
ESPN will go bankrupt w/in a couple-ish more years. And I will laugh at the hillbillies with glee.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
No, I’m saying they have an easier path to making a deal where everyone agrees to reduce or ignore the GOR for the teams leaving.

I get that. I just don't think the ACC will so peacefully agree to have itself torn to bits and reduced to G5 status.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I get that. I just don't think the ACC will so peacefully agree to have itself torn to bits and reduced to G5 status.

They may not, but it’s a heck of a lot more feasible for the SEC/ESPN to accomplish if they have grand aspirations rather than the B1G/FOX. Money talks too…watch every member of the SEC, sans TAMU (allowed for show by the SEC for prosperity and ego), vote a huge YES when this all goes through.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So the $$ ISU would get if OU and TX stay would put ISU in the red, wouldn’t we also be in the red joining the PAC?

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Here's Frank the Tank's assessment of the TX…He mentions KU to the Big Ten but no mention of ISU or other Big 12 leftovers.

Red River Realignment: Texas and Oklahoma Talk to the SEC

On no mention of ISU in the article. It’s from July 21st, the day the news of OU & TX to the SEC broke. He was going off the fist tweet to gain traction after the announcement, that KU was speaking to the B1G.

Thats why there was no mention of ISU Or others.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Nope, if ESPN doesn't step up and increase ACC rights fees, I'm sure Clemson, UNC, Notre Dame, etc. will be more than willing to listen to Big10 as well as SEC.
But ESPN holds the right to the ACC, so why wouldn't they either want the league to be successful or want to push towards the better schools to be folded into this so called super conference of 30 to 40 teams.

By allowing them to go to the Big 10, that would allow FOX sports to control those teams content. It really comes to down this is a war between Fox and ESPN and the Big 12 is just the first casualty of the fight.
By killing the Big 12 outright or significantly reducing the payout, ESPN has taken its best two assets, moving them into a league that will make them more money and also getting rid of the LHN that never made a profit.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They may not, but it’s a heck of a lot more feasible for the SEC/ESPN to accomplish if they have grand aspirations rather than the B1G/FOX. Money talks too…watch every member of the SEC, sans TAMU (allowed for show by the SEC for prosperity and ego), vote a huge YES when this all goes through.

Oh I agree it'd be more feasible for SEC/ESPN than for B1G/FOX... I just don't think it's realistic for the ACC to let itself be completely destroyed and relegated to G5 status for either of them.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Oh I agree it'd be more feasible for SEC/ESPN than for B1G/FOX... I just don't think it's realistic for the ACC to let itself be completely destroyed and relegated to G5 status for either of them.

Eh, you’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole on that situation. There’d be a whole different landscape in that case that’s impossible to say, because in that case there would be ~100 teams in the same situation and it would affect all conferences. If that was the case though I’d have to image the money from consolidation would be astronomical.