Remnants of the BigXII and the BCS

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I've read on some other sites that unless the BigXII votes to disband (needing 9 votes) they would not necessarily lose their BCS status. So as long as the four or five schools left don't vote to disband, the BigXII is still a BCS conference. Seems to be a pretty good bargaining chip to lure the cream of the MWC and maybe Big East to the conference.

Can anyone confirm this?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've read on some other sites that unless the BigXII votes to disband (needing 9 votes) they would not necessarily lose their BCS status. So as long as the four or five schools left don't vote to disband, the BigXII is still a BCS conference. Seems to be a pretty good bargaining chip to lure the cream of the MWC and maybe Big East to the conference.

Can anyone confirm this?

I've read on this board that a conference needs to maintain at least 6 members that have been in a BCS conference for the last 3 years to maintain BCS status. Our only real hope would be that the SEC and ACC don't raid the Big East like I think they will and then they are willing to combine conferences with us.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I've read on this board that a conference needs to maintain at least 6 members that have been in a BCS conference for the last 3 years to maintain BCS status. Our only real hope would be that the SEC and ACC don't raid the Big East like I think they will and then they are willing to combine conferences with us.

Thats what I had thought also. But someone (from the MWC message boards) claimed that there were new rules concerning this. I don't know.

As far as the four Super conferences becoming a reality I think there would be huge hurdles to overcome. If you think people argue over bubble teams for the ncaa tourney just think what it would be like for bubble schools where this basically says you either have a chance for a national title or you don't. Not for just this year but forever.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Question: do the teams that leave the big 12 still pay the conference x-amount millions of $ if they leave? If the teams do pay why not do this - use the money to entice a few more schools to reach an 8 team league (the Big East has 8 football teams and still has their BCS status). Then, I can't believe I'm saying this, partner with the Missouri Valley for basketball and the olympic sports. The Missouri Valley needs Kansas to get more than 1-2 teams in the NCAA tournament and could actually improve that conference - plus it could ensure the stability of both ISU and UNI wrestling. No, I have not been sharing kool aide with Matt Perrault.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Question: do the teams that leave the big 12 still pay the conference x-amount millions of $ if they leave? If the teams do pay why not do this - use the money to entice a few more schools to reach an 8 team league (the Big East has 8 football teams and still has their BCS status). Then, I can't believe I'm saying this, partner with the Missouri Valley for basketball and the olympic sports. The Missouri Valley needs Kansas to get more than 1-2 teams in the NCAA tournament and could actually improve that conference - plus it could ensure the stability of both ISU and UNI wrestling. No, I have not been sharing kool aide with Matt Perrault.

Well if the Big East also starts to implode due to the Big10 they might be ripe for picking. Apparently the ACC has its sights on them potentially.

Found this BCS selection procedures

Doesn't really cover a conference going away. I'm sure it never occurred to them that it was a possibility. Interesting that a seventh conference could become eligible in 2012. Also reevaluation occurs in Dec 2011. This could I guess be interpreted to mean there would be some time frame for the Big 12 to reconstitute itself. Could be some other bylaws somewhere, I don't know.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
Simple majority is all that is needed to disband the league. There is no mention of this in the charter so it will be based on Delaware Law, the state in which the league was incorporated. When the league disbands, everything (including penalties for leaving, tv contracts, etc.) will be null and void. The remaining schools will be left with nothing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I lean to grouping with current BCS teams, but MWC has certainly taken strides to achieve that status. The key is to be in the "4th" super conference if it ends up being 4 16 team conferences, I think having some eastern and southern teams helps us more in that regard.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Hey Mook. PHHHLLLPPPTTTT!!!!!:tongue:

If true there goes my glimmer of hope again.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
there soon will be no BCS. It will be 4 big 16 conferences and they will do what they want on their own.
Looks like the remaining five need to find eleven more schools. Sink or swim.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Ugh. Creighton and McD in our league. Ugh.I suppose you would want men's soccer then.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Simple majority is all that is needed to disband the league. There is no mention of this in the charter so it will be based on Delaware Law, the state in which the league was incorporated. When the league disbands, everything (including penalties for leaving, tv contracts, etc.) will be null and void. The remaining schools will be left with nothing.
Is that why the ESPN headline says if Nebby leaves then the Big 12 is dissolved?

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006

Actually, there have been several mentions that to disband the league without penalty they need 9 votes. That may be a recent rule however...

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Actually, there have been several mentions that to disband the league without penalty they need 9 votes. That may be a recent rule however...

The 9 votes thing is needed to change the bylaws. I think the assumption was made that 9 votes would then be necessary to disband, but I think the simple majority makes more sense for disbanding.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Ok sorry to drag this thread back but just thinking...

What if we could make a deal with the leaving teams to vote not to disband. They could just leave without penalty. Not like we're going to see that money anyway. Maybe this fits in with Beebe's long term viability plan. Oh wait Beebe said that, ah never mind.

Also at what point does Colorado and Nebraska lose their voting privileges? We could be down to 10 teams and five votes not to disband. No majority.

I still see this as our best way out of this mess. Get some kind of consortium going with the surviving Big East teams and the cream of the MWC who might see this as the best shot for the BCS.

Who knows what the BCS would do in the future but might give us time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Big Ten - If you can't beat em... buy em.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Ok sorry to drag this thread back but just thinking...

What if we could make a deal with the leaving teams to vote not to disband. They could just leave without penalty. Not like we're going to see that money anyway. Maybe this fits in with Beebe's long term viability plan. Oh wait Beebe said that, ah never mind.

Also at what point does Colorado and Nebraska lose their voting privileges? We could be down to 10 teams and five votes not to disband. No majority.

I still see this as our best way out of this mess. Get some kind of consortium going with the surviving Big East teams and the cream of the MWC who might see this as the best shot for the BCS.

Who knows what the BCS would do in the future but might give us time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Big Ten - If you can't beat em... buy em.

I thought of the bolded part as well. Would the other schools throw us a bone though?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron