Recruiting Woes

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Who knows what was actually said, but if Paul Rhoads actually made this comment (true or not), he is done.

The question to ask of Rhoads, "What are you doing that's unique on the recruiting trail to try and overcome the didficulties in recruiting to Ames?"

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
This is an announcers talking point. Similar to Georges Niang played with Nerlens Noel. I'm pretty sure they say this half the time when I watch it on tv.

Besides I don't think it is exactly untrue either. It may not be exactly extremely bad, but look at it this way. You are a high school recruit from Iowa and say Montana is recruiting you compared to Iowa and Iowa State. I don't know about you, but I know I would take a lot of convincing to go on that visit. We are trying to convince kids from Florida and Texas to come visit us over teams like UCF, USF, Houston, Tulsa, and SMU.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Identifying and getting the best talent in Iowa would be a start. Watching former UNI RB David Johnson have a fantastic game against Chicago Bears today ....why the hell didn't Rhodes get him.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is an announcers talking point. Similar to Georges Niang played with Nerlens Noel. I'm pretty sure they say this half the time when I watch it on tv.

Besides I don't think it is exactly untrue either. It may not be exactly extremely bad, but look at it this way. You are a high school recruit from Iowa and say Montana is recruiting you compared to Iowa and Iowa State. I don't know about you, but I know I would take a lot of convincing to go on that visit. We are trying to convince kids from Florida and Texas to come visit us over teams like UCF, USF, Houston, Tulsa, and SMU.

The idea that it's a challenge to get kids to visit is something everyone would agree on.
The idea that it's harder because the airport is in Des Moines is stupid.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

What? I hadn't heard that, when did they play together?

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Identifying and getting the best talent in Iowa would be a start. Watching former UNI RB David Johnson have a fantastic game against Chicago Bears today ....why the hell didn't Rhodes get him.
He was an under recruited anomaly that developed into what he is....not the mean for Iowa high school recruits.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The idea that it's a challenge to get kids to visit is something everyone would agree on.
The idea that it's harder because the airport is in Des Moines is stupid.
It's a talking point. It isn't like Rhoads wrote an opinion piece on the airport needing to be expanded so the recruits can be flown into Ames. The larger point is it's hard to get people to visit.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
It's a talking point. It isn't like Rhoads wrote an opinion piece on the airport needing to be expanded so the recruits can be flown into Ames. The larger point is it's hard to get people to visit.

I understand the larger talking point. The point here is that the announcers were fixing on a much smaller aspect which is a pathetic excuse to ever offer.

It's hard to get people here. Always has been, always will be. Nobody has ever disputed that. Also, nobody has ever offered the airport location as an excuse for it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I understand the larger talking point. The point here is that the announcers were fixing on a much smaller aspect which is a pathetic excuse to ever offer.

It's hard to get people here. Always has been, always will be. Nobody has ever disputed that. Also, nobody has ever offered the airport location as an excuse for it.
Ok then blame the announcers for fixating on that part not Rhoads.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
we need the best Jucos and then settle for overlooked high school kids

build from there. Start winning 6-8 games / yr. and the really good high school players will start to choose ISU

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

It was a very bad recruiting blunder as it didn't take a recruiting guru to see that Johnson would be a good power 5 back or receiver with his size, speed and the way he was dominating eastern Iowa football. There's also Jake Waters who went on to star at K-State, and I think we also had a good shot at the Jewell kid from Decorah, who is now in his 2nd year starting for Iowa as a sophomore. His high school coach was Joel Lanning's uncle, and we didn't even offer the kid, who was dominant in Decorah's romp over Heelan in the state championship game. Iowa offered him late or he was also headed to UNI. You can't overlook those good in state kids and CPR has, so nobody but himself to blame if he thinks he hasn't had enough talent.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
we need the best Jucos and then settle for overlooked high school kids

build from there. Start winning 6-8 games / yr. and the really good high school players will start to choose ISU

Sounds like the same plan every none blue chip school has.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
They got that part from him.
I don't defend announcers, but they're just reporting this one in their own propping up of the team they're stuck broadcasting. If he doesn't offer the excuse, they don't report it.
I would almost guarantee that Rhoads says something along the lines of this. "Recruiting is really tuff. Our biggest challenge is getting kids to come visit us. Ames is a long ways away from where they're coming from, but once we get them here our facilities and such are really good."

Rhoads has plenty of things to criticize him on let's pick something valid.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I would almost guarantee that Rhoads says something along the lines of this. "Recruiting is really tuff. Our biggest challenge is getting kids to come visit us. Ames is a long ways away from where they're coming from, but once we get them here our facilities and such are really good."

Rhoads has plenty of things to criticize him on let's pick something valid.

You can guarantee the hypothetical. I'll guarantee the reported, and we'll drive on from there. This is just a small part of my critique of Rhoads' job performance, but it represents the idea that he really is in over his head.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
He was an under recruited anomaly that developed into what he is....not the mean for Iowa high school recruits.

I don't know if you saw Johnson play in high school or not, but those of us that did were frustrated that we weren't offering him, and very vocal about it on here. Johnson was a great player in high school with the size and speed that should have been projected to several positions at the high d-1 level. Why he wasn't offered by Iowa or iSU is truly unexplainable as he wasn't some late bloomer that grew late or developed over time. He was ready for the big stage as soon as he hit the UNI campus.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I don't know if you saw Johnson play in high school or not, but those of us that did were frustrated that we weren't offering him, and very vocal about it on here. Johnson was a great player in high school with the size and speed that should have been projected to several positions at the high d-1 level. Why he wasn't offered by Iowa or iSU is truly unexplainable as he wasn't some late bloomer that grew late or developed over time. He was ready for the big stage as soon as he hit the UNI campus.

No one liked his attitude.

Last edited:

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
And as far as recruiting is hard in Ames goes, CPR is 3-4 in his last 7 against non Power-5 schools.

NDSU, Toledo, UNI and Tulsa are either better at recruiting or get coached up better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron