RECRUITING: Wheeler impressed by Iowa State visit, eyes May 6 decision

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
This is confusing. Did LW and Lard sneak into some games while not actually in college yet?
Why aren’t we allowed to include them? Their college careers are done and we know what kind of players they were. Why do we have to pretend like we don’t know if they were Big 12 players or not?

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I'd take two legit out of that group honestly
Lewis showed flashes when he got extended minutes. I trust him on offense. Hopefully he can keep improving on defense. I’m excited to see what he can do in a bigger role.

Guarded Zion at Lied Gym a month ago and he needs to keep getting his shot more consistent because he does not lack the athleticism to be a good player at this level. He’s extremely explosive.

Tre Jackson is really smooth. He could fill a huge need in perimeter scoring.

I think Leech is close to getting back to his old self. Of the group of players that were listed, Leech is the best at creating his own shot.

If we could add Rayjon Tucker or get Wigginton back to go with these 4 + Nixon and Haliburton, I think we have a more than capable backcourt.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why aren’t we allowed to include them? Their college careers are done and we know what kind of players they were. Why do we have to pretend like we don’t know if they were Big 12 players or not?

We don't have to...it's just odd to act like you knew they were, but then complain about guys not having seeing the floor.

For all we know the incoming guys are Big 12 caliber AND good teammates. Win win.

• Winner
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Lol explain Texas or A&M. But go off.

What's your point here?

My point is that we weren't as talented as people think and we certainly didn't underperform to the level people think but those are pointless arguments to have with people because those people will refuse to look at the actual facts.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Next year was likely going to be a struggle no matter what the second Wigginton, THT and Lard all left. None of these high school kids were going to change that. There was/is a slim possibility of a grad transfer or two that could have maybe pushed us to a tournament team. That was always extremely unlikely though. There just aren't very many of those guys, and EVERYBODY is trying to get them. I still hope we get Grill and one good sit out transfer. I'd be pretty happy with that. Next year might be a little rough. We lost 5 of our top 7 players. Not many teams recover from that in one year. I don't see the point in b****ing about it or trying to convince other fans that we are going to be bad. What's the point in that? I'm looking forward to watching Haliburton, Conditt, Lewis and Griffin improve and am excited to see Solomon Young back. If we somehow make the tournament, that'll be a bonus.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lewis showed flashes when he got extended minutes. I trust him on offense. Hopefully he can keep improving on defense. I’m excited to see what he can do in a bigger role.

Guarded Zion at Lied Gym a month ago and he needs to keep getting his shot more consistent because he does not lack the athleticism to be a good player at this level. He’s extremely explosive.

Tre Jackson is really smooth. He could fill a huge need in perimeter scoring.

I think Leech is close to getting back to his old self. Of the group of players that were listed, Leech is the best at creating his own shot.

If we could add Rayjon Tucker or get Wigginton back to go with these 4 + Nixon and Haliburton, I think we have a more than capable backcourt.

I am not sure how to read you sometimes.

You were pushing the "next year is going to be a letdown" narrative for a long time there.

Then you write an articulate post about ways the roster could improve (e.g., defense and rebounding ability) and of the unseen potential of some of the bench guys and incoming freshman and the bonus of having a healthy Solomon back.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not even mad at all, when you already knew a month ago they weren't getting any of these guys it makes it alot easier to accept.

open-uri20150422-20810-11ej849_779819a7.jpeg

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It's not the end of the world, the only problem is the way the roster looks right now doesn't look like a tourney team.

If you add up all the losses combined with the 9th ranked recruting class and constant swing and misses this spring, it will take an overacheiving season to make the tourney next year. That isn't something we've seen yet with this program under Prohm.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It's not the end of the world, the only problem is the way the roster looks right now doesn't look like a tourney team.

If you add up all the losses combined with the 9th ranked recruting class and constant swing and misses this spring, it will take an overacheiving season to make the tourney next year. That isn't something we've seen yet with this program under Prohm.

If we don't get Grill you will be mad. If we get Grill you will complain about his rankings

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I am not sure how to read you sometimes.

You were pushing the "next year is going to be a letdown" narrative for a long time there.

Then you write an articulate post about ways the roster could improve (e.g., defense and rebounding ability) and of the unseen potential of some of the bench guys and incoming freshman and the bonus of having a healthy Solomon back.
For me, it just comes down to if we can get 1 high level impact guy like Wigginton or Tucker. If we do that, I like the pieces around those guys. If the pieces around those guys have to be the main guys, that’s where I get a little concerned. I don’t think we’re miles off from being a good team, I just think we are currently missing the most important thing you need and that’s a proven bucket getter.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Interesting that you knew that. In my time on here the one thing I've learned is that you don't know anything.

When bad stuff happens, "I knew."

When good stuff happens, "Sweet Sixteen? Should have won the natty."

Some people.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Because it’s disingenuous, and contradicts your pretending to not be just another anti coach guy

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I can see being disappointed missing on the HS guys we missed on. However none of them were going to be big impact guys next year. But I wouldn’t go as far as saying that we aren’t a tourney team next year with the players we do have.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
For me, it just comes down to if we can get 1 high level impact guy like Wigginton or Tucker. If we do that, I like the pieces around those guys. If the pieces around those guys have to be the main guys, that’s where I get a little concerned. I don’t think we’re miles off from being a good team, I just think we are currently missing the most important thing you need and that’s a proven bucket getter.

I know you are generally reasonable on this stuff.

Passions are just hot about the program right now -- last year was divisive, to say the least, and things seem to always be like this with spring recruiting cycles.

• Creative
Reactions: CyDude16

Help Support Us

Become a patron