RECRUITING: Prentiss Nixon and Matt Mooney updates (4/12/18)

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I rarely post here but I have been watching how the Matt Mooney transfer was playing out. I’m in a unique position as I am a season ticket holder at both Iowa State and South Dakota. I rarely miss a game at either venue.

I certainly am no expert but I guess am willing to throw my 2 cents worth in. For those of you that think Mooney wouldn’t start, I think you’re wrong. Mooney can flat out play. His game is very similar to Matt Thomas. Hilton would love this kid because when he is on he literally can light it up, and the fan noise would only fuel that fire. Not to be disrespectful, but Mooney is a much better player than Babb. Tougher also.

I think there’s a reasonable chance he might not transfer as well. He asked for the transfer when his former head coach took the job at Utah State. But even before that transpired, there was talk in Vermillion that Matt was going to explore the grad transfer process anyway. I know Matt personally and if he does transfer, Coach Prohm would be a fantastic fit for him. Matt is a great young man, but this is a case where in my opinion he shouldn’t transfer because Matt is not going to make the NBA, and he should stay at USD and try and take them to a first time NCAA appearance. That is his main reason for transferring.

Matt would be a 15-17 point per game player for the Cyclones. He’s a hard worker, but can be a little selfish. If he does come to Iowa State, we would be getting one hell of a player. The reason he might consider it is because he feels the NCAA’s are possible and playing in front of Hilton Magic. We have had discussions what that is like.

Appreciate your info. Obviously if you read the thread, you know you didn't have to 'sell' me on this guy. But am I right that you haven't read the entire thread? Because Mooney has eliminated us already.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I rarely post here but I have been watching how the Matt Mooney transfer was playing out. I’m in a unique position as I am a season ticket holder at both Iowa State and South Dakota. I rarely miss a game at either venue.

I certainly am no expert but I guess am willing to throw my 2 cents worth in. For those of you that think Mooney wouldn’t start, I think you’re wrong. Mooney can flat out play. His game is very similar to Matt Thomas. Hilton would love this kid because when he is on he literally can light it up, and the fan noise would only fuel that fire. Not to be disrespectful, but Mooney is a much better player than Babb. Tougher also.

I think there’s a reasonable chance he might not transfer as well. He asked for the transfer when his former head coach took the job at Utah State. But even before that transpired, there was talk in Vermillion that Matt was going to explore the grad transfer process anyway. I know Matt personally and if he does transfer, Coach Prohm would be a fantastic fit for him. Matt is a great young man, but this is a case where in my opinion he shouldn’t transfer because Matt is not going to make the NBA, and he should stay at USD and try and take them to a first time NCAA appearance. That is his main reason for transferring.

Matt would be a 15-17 point per game player for the Cyclones. He’s a hard worker, but can be a little selfish. If he does come to Iowa State, we would be getting one hell of a player. The reason he might consider it is because he feels the NCAA’s are possible and playing in front of Hilton Magic. We have had discussions what that is like.

Thanks for the info. I don't agree that he'd be a 15-17 ppg player for a P5 program though

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Matt is a great young man, but this is a case where in my opinion he shouldn’t transfer because Matt is not going to make the NBA, and he should stay at USD and try and take them to a first time NCAA appearance. That is his main reason for transferring.
Problem is, and Matt knows it, SDSU is really good, and with Daum back, would be the favorite to win the conference.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Appreciate your info. Obviously if you read the thread, you know you didn't have to 'sell' me on this guy. But am I right that you haven't read the entire thread? Because Mooney has eliminated us already.

I have watched the thread. The reason ( at this point in time ) he supposedly isn’t listing Iowa State is because Coach Prohm didn’t make him an offer. It would be bad for him to list us with no offer in hand. I find this hard to believe but the word in Vermillion is Texas Tech is the frontrunner, which surprises me a lot given the fact his reasoning when asking for the release was to play closer to his family. I thought all along Notre Dame and Northwestern had inside track as Matt is from Illinois.

Regardin his scoring potential, Matt did have 31 against TCU and 23 against UCLA. Not to argue but the kids a good player. If it’s him vs Babb and I have to take 1, it’s Mooney easily. I have nothing against Nick it’s just my gut feel.

If Coach Prohm had offered I think ISU would be on his short list.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Problem is, and Matt knows it, SDSU is really good, and with Daum back, would be the favorite to win the conference.

No question about it. Daum is tough and TJ is an awesome coach. We are 99% likely to be a one bid league, so whoever wins the Summit League tournament goes. Two years ago SDSU finished 4th in league ( with Daum) but won the tournament. This year they won both, with SD a close 2nd.

TJ can flat out coach

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... the word in Vermillion is Texas Tech is the frontrunner, .... I thought all along Notre Dame and Northwestern had inside track as Matt is from Illinois....

What schools have actually made offers thus far?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I have watched the thread. The reason ( at this point in time ) he supposedly isn’t listing Iowa State is because Coach Prohm didn’t make him an offer. It would be bad for him to list us with no offer in hand. I find this hard to believe but the word in Vermillion is Texas Tech is the frontrunner, which surprises me a lot given the fact his reasoning when asking for the release was to play closer to his family. I thought all along Notre Dame and Northwestern had inside track as Matt is from Illinois.

Regardin his scoring potential, Matt did have 31 against TCU and 23 against UCLA. Not to argue but the kids a good player. If it’s him vs Babb and I have to take 1, it’s Mooney easily. I have nothing against Nick it’s just my gut feel.

Well then......that's certainly a different take than what I thought. Couldn't determine that from what our sources were wording things. Hmmm....two visits from our staff within a week but no offer...yet. So, tons of interest but apparently its complicated. Idk, does this mean we're waiting on a certain sit-out to decide or a current player to make a decision? Regardless the reason, I'm sure Coach Prohm has been very up front about the situation with Matt.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
What schools have actually made offers thus far?

From what I’ve been told....Arizona State, Texas Tech, creighton,Northwestern, Notre Dame
Well then......that's certainly a different take than what I thought. Couldn't determine that from what our sources were wording things. Hmmm....two visits from our staff within a week but no offer...yet. So, tons of interest but apparently its complicated. Idk, does this mean we're waiting on a certain sit-out to decide or a current player to make a decision? Regardless the reason, I'm sure Coach Prohm has been very up front about the situation with Matt.

Most definitely. Matt liked him.

Offers from:

Arizona State
Oregon
Creighton
Texas Tech
Northwestern

Reported but not verified offers:
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Interest from:
Michigan

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
From what I’ve been told....Arizona State, Texas Tech, creighton,Northwestern, Notre Dame

Most definitely. Matt liked him.

Offers from:

Arizona State
Oregon
Creighton
Texas Tech
Northwestern

Reported but not verified offers:
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Interest from:
Michigan

Thanks for your info. Regardless what happens, kudos to you if you had the Hilton Magic/Cyclonenation talk with him!!

Reactions: Stereotype

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

Didn't know Mooney averaged almost a triple-double ever.

clones98

Mar 29, 2013
Wow, kind of weird to be back on the board here.

Recent SD grad/ lifelong Cyclone (which makes it extremely difficult with Otz at the rival school), talked to Mooney about a week ago. From what I could gather (and this was after his first visit with Berry).. he was extremely impressed with ASU, Oregon, and Creighton. The speculation of him transfering was out before Smith left for USU, so personally I think there's a 95% chance of him transfering.

Mooney can play and would be in the mix for a starting spot at Iowa State. I will +1 on YoteForever's post of him being better than Babb. Mooney can flat out shoot the ball... even with a man in his face. Similar to Matt Thomas, but I don't think he will be as developed at Matt Thomas got his senior year. Matt is a deceptive 6'4" and is an above average defender in the Summit, I think he would be average in the Big 12.

If he does transfer, I would hope it is to the Cyclones but unless the second meeting went better than the first... he will not be in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: rochclone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So two in-home visits from our staff and still no offer despite Mooney being interested. If true then I'm completely puzzled. Maybe Jared or CW can confirm if an offer was made by the staff.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
If I had to guess, it’s an internal debate over between Mooney, Amin and Nixon. Plus, as is already on the record from multiple sources, the pref is for a sit out and Mooney is not one.

So two in-home visits from our staff and still no offer despite Mooney being interested. If true then I'm completely puzzled. Maybe Jared or CW can confirm if an offer was made by the staff.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Simple, IF this is the case, then it's obvious Prohm and staff are prioritizing someone else. Utah St guard before, Nixon now, or someone else, likely a sit out transfer.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Whatever happens with Mooney, I hope like heck he does NOT transfer to TT (stay away from rival schools of the Big XII)!

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone