RECRUITING: Prentiss Nixon and Matt Mooney updates (4/12/18)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
To be fair, we are not exactly hurting for guards next year.

NWB, Wigginton, Shayok, Talley, and THT is plenty for an NCAA tournament-caliber backcourt rotation. This, of course, assumes that Nick is coming back healthy, that Wigginton will exit the draft, and there are not other injuries or problems.

I still think a good sit-out guard is our best bet.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I guess but it’s not like they’re going to drive to SD for no reason.

They must have wanted him for some reason.

They wanted him obviously. The point was that Mooney might not want Iowa State if they told him that they believe Wigginton will be back. It isn't like Iowa State can just decide who they want and have them automatically want Iowa State.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

“For some reason”? Mooney can score, and I’m pretty confident he can at the Big 12 level.

If Wiggs is back, I can understand why Mooney would want to look somewhere else. I would expect the staff to tell him they expect Wiggs to be back too, even if it’s not known yet. You have to be straight in that conversation and present the possibilities. If he’s still interested, fantastic. If not, wish him luck.

Nixon is a different situation all together. I think he can do his thing at this level too, and there are automatically more possibilities for him considering Shayok will have moved on after winning Big12 newcomer of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

I know we wanted him. Williams said he's not coming here because of our roster. My guess is Mooney knows Wigginton is likely returning. The only chance Mooney had to start here was Wigginton staying in the draft. He wasn't going to come here to come off the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: wing59

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Some new information coming in tonight ... sounds like Mooney will not name Iowa State a finalist. My guess is it’s because of Iowa State’s returning roster...

Darn. Understandable, knowing the outcome might be due to our roster situation, but it's kinda a bummer after reading Jared's post that ISU gave the impression they felt good that they'd be one of the three. Ugh, recruiting.... Guess that's why it's always 'fluid'.
Time to root for Northwestern or Creighton I guess. Is Creighton's roster that in need of guards, tho? Seems like Northwestern is where he should go. I'm sure he cares what I think. Lol

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
To be fair, we are not exactly hurting for guards next year.

NWB, Wigginton, Shayok, Talley, and THT is plenty for an NCAA tournament-caliber backcourt rotation. This, of course, assumes that Nick is coming back healthy, that Wigginton will exit the draft, and there are not other injuries or problems.

I still think a good sit-out guard is our best bet.

That may be true, we're not hurting for guards, but more than LW is going to need to step up and make us a better perimeter team than last year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If Wigs is back, we don't need him. So that is a good thing. If Wigs decides not to come back to school, we are of course going to wish we had him. Without Wigs, I suppose THT becomes a starter. Babb, THT, Shayok, Lard, and Young is still a very talented starting lineup. Talley, Jacobsen, Lewis and Griffin off the bench. Not bad.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Would have loved to get Mooney, but I can understand why he's looking elsewhere. We likely will have Wiggs, Babb, Shayok, Lewis, THT, and Halliburton for guards this coming season. It would be tough for Mooney to get playing time ahead of Wiggs, Babb, and Shayok at a minimum.... and maybe not ahead of THT either. He's not going to go somewhere where he probably doesn't start, and maybe only gets 15-20 mins a game, for his final year in college.

We're going to need guard help much more in 2 years that we do right now. After this season we'll lose Wiggs, Babb, and Shayok. We need a PG and a good shooting guard for 2019 badly.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Darn. Understandable, knowing the outcome might be due to our roster situation, but it's kinda a bummer after reading Jared's post that ISU gave the impression they felt good that they'd be one of the three. Ugh, recruiting.... Guess that's why it's always 'fluid'.
Time to root for Northwestern or Creighton I guess. Is Creighton's roster that in need of guards, tho? Seems like Northwestern is where he should go. I'm sure he cares what I think. Lol
Creighton loses Foster, and there's a good chance Khyri Thomas stays in the draft, he's been on many first round lists. They return an ok soph pg, and a couple freshmen guards that showed flashes, but Mooney would be "the guy" of their backcourt, if Thomas doesn't come back.
I think it's obvious Mooney wants to be that alpha male, like he was at South Dakota. I actually think he wouldn't be very good as just a guy off the bench, or a spot up shooter.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
If he had come to Iowa State he would have been a starter on November 9th. Clearly one of the Top 3 guards on the current roster.

Have to hope that Nick is healthy and shoots the three better.
I am not 100% confident that we will go from bad to great at guard in 18-19.

• Disagree
Reactions: rochclone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If he had come to Iowa State he would have been a starter on November 9th. Clearly one of the Top 3 guards on the current roster.

Have to hope that Nick is healthy and shoots the three better.

I don't know to say he's the best 3 out Babb, Wigginton, Shayok and THT and I really like Mooney too

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
I rarely post here but I have been watching how the Matt Mooney transfer was playing out. I’m in a unique position as I am a season ticket holder at both Iowa State and South Dakota. I rarely miss a game at either venue.

I certainly am no expert but I guess am willing to throw my 2 cents worth in. For those of you that think Mooney wouldn’t start, I think you’re wrong. Mooney can flat out play. His game is very similar to Matt Thomas. Hilton would love this kid because when he is on he literally can light it up, and the fan noise would only fuel that fire. Not to be disrespectful, but Mooney is a much better player than Babb. Tougher also.

I think there’s a reasonable chance he might not transfer as well. He asked for the transfer when his former head coach took the job at Utah State. But even before that transpired, there was talk in Vermillion that Matt was going to explore the grad transfer process anyway. I know Matt personally and if he does transfer, Coach Prohm would be a fantastic fit for him. Matt is a great young man, but this is a case where in my opinion he shouldn’t transfer because Matt is not going to make the NBA, and he should stay at USD and try and take them to a first time NCAA appearance. That is his main reason for transferring.

Matt would be a 15-17 point per game player for the Cyclones. He’s a hard worker, but can be a little selfish. If he does come to Iowa State, we would be getting one hell of a player. The reason he might consider it is because he feels the NCAA’s are possible and playing in front of Hilton Magic. We have had discussions what that is like.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Those thinking he would start seem to have more confidence in him that he does.
Agree, appears he is looking for max exposure so he wants to start and compete with the best competition. Big XII would provide great competition but starting at ISU is not guaranteed.