RECRUITING: Osun Osunniyi commits

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Jones is a perfect utility 5 man. Last year he had some great moments but was forced to play more than he should’ve because Conditt was either in foul trouble or was playing poorly.

This sets up perfectly for him to come in at specific moments when needed and I can’t think of a time we had this much depth at the 5 spot.
Jones seems like a great teammate and an ideal role player. He always had great energy and effort.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I

I think the writing was on the wall for Foster already. I don't think the original post meant Jones needs to leave. I'd be thinking playing time with the additions coming in and Kunc returning if I were him. We have a deep frontcourt all of a sudden. I don't remember an ISU team with this much length..excited about this addition..wasn't expecting it.
Bob knows his role. He was a role player in the summit league before ISU. If he was chasing playing time he'd be at a mid major.

With the Osun and Ward additions he's on the outside looking in of the rotation, but I'm still glad to have him back. His ceiling is low talent wise but he did make some nice contributions down the stretch of the regular season for us. Bob is experienced and will be ready to fill in when the time comes. It's a luxury to have depth in college basketball. We did not last season and made the Sweet 16.

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Kind of being an outlaw,...partial ESPN transfer update as of earlier today.

"

i

3. Tyrese Hunter, 6-0, 178 lbs., PG, Fr., Iowa State

One of the best freshman point guards in the country last season, Hunter is a terrific defender who averaged 11.0 points, 4.9 assists and 2.0 steals. Outside shot is a work in progress.

i

4. Baylor Scheierman, 6-6, 205 lbs., SG, Soph., South Dakota State
Committed to Creighton
Arguably the best NBA prospect in the portal, Scheierman won Summit League Player of the Year honors after averaging 16.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.5 assists, shooting 46.9% from 3-point range.

i

5. AJ Green, 6-4, 190 lbs., SG, Jr., Northern Iowa

Two-time Missouri Valley Player of the Year. Green is an elite shooter and scorer who averaged nearly 18 points in four years with the Panthers. Father is an assistant at Iowa State.

i

6. Malachi Smith, 6-4, 205 lbs., G, Soph., Chattanooga

The Southern Conference Player of the Year, Smith averaged 19.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists. Led the Mocs to the NCAA tournament and a near upset of Illinois in the first round.

i

7. Isiaih Mosley, 6-5, 194 lbs., G, Jr., Missouri State

One of the most explosive scorers in the portal, Mosley shot better than 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the free throw line. Averaged 20.4 points and 6.2 boards last season, 19.8 points and 6.3 rebounds the season prior. Went for 40-plus against both Loyola Chicago and Northern Iowa.

i

8. Pete Nance, 6-10, 225 lbs., PF, Sr., Northwestern

Nance is focused on the NBA draft, but he checks a lot of boxes for teams in need of a frontcourt player. He's 6-10, but shot 45.2% from 3 last season, averaging 14.6 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists.

i

9. Kevin McCullar, 6-6, 210 lbs., SG, Jr., Texas Tech

An elite defender, McCullar also averaged double figures in scoring each of the past two seasons. Put up 10.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 2021-22. Also exploring his NBA possibilities.

i

10. KJ Williams, 6-10, 245 lbs., PF, Jr., Murray State
Committed to LSU
Williams didn't plan to dive into his recruitment until the NBA draft process played out, but he ended his recruitment in early May and followed former head coach Matt McMahon to Baton Rouge. The Ohio Valley Player of the Year averaged 18.0 points and 8.4 rebounds.

i

11. Johni Broome, 6-10, 235 lbs., C, Fr., Morehead State
Committed to Auburn
Broome has been a dominant force for two seasons, earning first-team All-OVC honors each of the past two seasons. Averaged 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocks this past season, going for 32 points and eight boards against Murray State in the OVC title game.

i

12. Kenneth Lofton Jr., 6-7, 275 lbs., PF, Soph., Louisiana Tech

A dominant force so far at the college and international levels, Lofton averaged 16.5 points and 10.5 rebounds this past season. Despite his size, he is tremendously productive, and his performance with USA Basketball suggests it will translate to a higher level.

i

13. Norchad Omier, 6-7, 232 lbs., PF, Fr., Arkansas State
Committed to Miami
The Sun Belt Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, Omier was simply dominant this past season. Averaged 17.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals. Omier, who is from Nicaragua, shot better than 63% from the field.

i

14. Mark Sears, 6-1, 185 lbs., PG, Soph., Ohio
Committed to Alabama
Sears entering the portal and going to Alabama wasn't an overly well-kept secret over the last couple weeks, as Sears is heading back home next season. The first-team All-MAC pick averaged 19.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and shot 40.8% from 3.

i

15. Terrence Shannon Jr., 6-6, 215 lbs., SF, Jr., Texas Tech
Committed to Illinois
Shannon never quite got going this season after being suspended to start the campaign and then dealing with nagging injuries. But he put up numbers when healthy and has a track record of production in college that should translate in Champaign. Averaged 10.4 points.

i

16. Osun Osunniyi, 6-10, 220 lbs., C, Sr., Saint Bonaventure
Committed to Iowa State
Osunniyi was a two-time Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year and also earned second-team all-conference honors the past two seasons. Averaged 11.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. "

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
He’s never played Kansas in a league game.
Sure, but Jones averaged 3 fouls in a bit over 20 minutes at Denver. Conditt averaged 3.4 fouls in 19 minutes in non-conference play. Osunniyi will probably get into foul trouble at some point. I just don't think it will be as bit of a problem as it's been in the recent past.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Why are we always trying to get rid of Jones? He knew going in we were looking to add two posts. Having a big body willing to accept out of the rotation minutes is truly a great insurance policy.
Agree. There's always foul trouble, injuries, etc. Jones fits this roster just fine as a non-starter.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Unlike a lot of big men these days, Osun seems to know what his strengths are and he plays within those strengths. You don't see him hanging out on the peremiter and jacking up 3's. He knows his home is down low, collecting dump passes and ally oops for dunks and protecting the rim on the other end.

He just added a whole new dimension to our team that we were lacking and that's pretty huge.

• Agree
Reactions: Pizzapitter

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
Unlike a lot of big men these days, Osun seems to know what his strengths are and he plays within those strengths. You don't see him hanging out on the peremiter and jacking up 3's. He knows his home is down low, collecting dump passes and ally oops for dunks and protecting the rim on the other end.

He just added a whole new dimension to our team that we were lacking and that's pretty huge.
That is only true if our offense let's him stay in that area. I hope that is what happens because it forces the defense to honor it and may take some defensive pressure off the arc.
I think this is a great add and I look forward to next year. I believe the freshman may add more than expected also.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Bob knows his role. He was a role player in the summit league before ISU. If he was chasing playing time he'd be at a mid major.

With the Osun and Ward additions he's on the outside looking in of the rotation, but I'm still glad to have him back. His ceiling is low talent wise but he did make some nice contributions down the stretch of the regular season for us. Bob is experienced and will be ready to fill in when the time comes. It's a luxury to have depth in college basketball. We did not last season and made the Sweet 16.
I'm happy Bob knows his roll. Most players like minutes. Who do you see him taking minutes from? I'd rather see small ball with Kunc or King at the 5. Not knocking Jones but I see him being at best our 3rd option now and that doesn't equate very well to seeing the floor. I can't wait to see this frontcourt against KU. What do they have Clemence and KJ Adams? That shouldn't be a problem

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Kind of being an outlaw,...partial ESPN transfer update as of earlier today.

"

i

3. Tyrese Hunter, 6-0, 178 lbs., PG, Fr., Iowa State

One of the best freshman point guards in the country last season, Hunter is a terrific defender who averaged 11.0 points, 4.9 assists and 2.0 steals. Outside shot is a work in progress.

i

4. Baylor Scheierman, 6-6, 205 lbs., SG, Soph., South Dakota State
Committed to Creighton
Arguably the best NBA prospect in the portal, Scheierman won Summit League Player of the Year honors after averaging 16.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 4.5 assists, shooting 46.9% from 3-point range.

i

5. AJ Green, 6-4, 190 lbs., SG, Jr., Northern Iowa

Two-time Missouri Valley Player of the Year. Green is an elite shooter and scorer who averaged nearly 18 points in four years with the Panthers. Father is an assistant at Iowa State.

i

6. Malachi Smith, 6-4, 205 lbs., G, Soph., Chattanooga

The Southern Conference Player of the Year, Smith averaged 19.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists. Led the Mocs to the NCAA tournament and a near upset of Illinois in the first round.

i

7. Isiaih Mosley, 6-5, 194 lbs., G, Jr., Missouri State

One of the most explosive scorers in the portal, Mosley shot better than 50% from the field, 40% from 3 and 90% from the free throw line. Averaged 20.4 points and 6.2 boards last season, 19.8 points and 6.3 rebounds the season prior. Went for 40-plus against both Loyola Chicago and Northern Iowa.

i

8. Pete Nance, 6-10, 225 lbs., PF, Sr., Northwestern

Nance is focused on the NBA draft, but he checks a lot of boxes for teams in need of a frontcourt player. He's 6-10, but shot 45.2% from 3 last season, averaging 14.6 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.7 assists.

i

9. Kevin McCullar, 6-6, 210 lbs., SG, Jr., Texas Tech

An elite defender, McCullar also averaged double figures in scoring each of the past two seasons. Put up 10.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 2021-22. Also exploring his NBA possibilities.

i

10. KJ Williams, 6-10, 245 lbs., PF, Jr., Murray State
Committed to LSU
Williams didn't plan to dive into his recruitment until the NBA draft process played out, but he ended his recruitment in early May and followed former head coach Matt McMahon to Baton Rouge. The Ohio Valley Player of the Year averaged 18.0 points and 8.4 rebounds.

i

11. Johni Broome, 6-10, 235 lbs., C, Fr., Morehead State
Committed to Auburn
Broome has been a dominant force for two seasons, earning first-team All-OVC honors each of the past two seasons. Averaged 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocks this past season, going for 32 points and eight boards against Murray State in the OVC title game.

i

12. Kenneth Lofton Jr., 6-7, 275 lbs., PF, Soph., Louisiana Tech

A dominant force so far at the college and international levels, Lofton averaged 16.5 points and 10.5 rebounds this past season. Despite his size, he is tremendously productive, and his performance with USA Basketball suggests it will translate to a higher level.

i

13. Norchad Omier, 6-7, 232 lbs., PF, Fr., Arkansas State
Committed to Miami
The Sun Belt Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, Omier was simply dominant this past season. Averaged 17.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals. Omier, who is from Nicaragua, shot better than 63% from the field.

i

14. Mark Sears, 6-1, 185 lbs., PG, Soph., Ohio
Committed to Alabama
Sears entering the portal and going to Alabama wasn't an overly well-kept secret over the last couple weeks, as Sears is heading back home next season. The first-team All-MAC pick averaged 19.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and shot 40.8% from 3.

i

15. Terrence Shannon Jr., 6-6, 215 lbs., SF, Jr., Texas Tech
Committed to Illinois
Shannon never quite got going this season after being suspended to start the campaign and then dealing with nagging injuries. But he put up numbers when healthy and has a track record of production in college that should translate in Champaign. Averaged 10.4 points.

i

16. Osun Osunniyi, 6-10, 220 lbs., C, Sr., Saint Bonaventure
Committed to Iowa State
Osunniyi was a two-time Atlantic 10 Defensive Player of the Year and also earned second-team all-conference honors the past two seasons. Averaged 11.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. "

Let’s get Green and Mosley.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
While dad can, he probably doesn’t want to.
He wants to if he gets a raise that is more than the scholarship.

If there is any risk that AJ isn’t at ISU next year, you recruit as him being #14.

And given kids can easily change their mind when working out for NBA teams and having the chance to make money, I’d say that risk is material

Reactions: isufbcurt

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Isn't Ward the same type of player as OO? Are we looking at possibly playing both at the same time at the 4 and 5? That seems to limit us offensively.