RECRUITING: Caleb Grill updates recruitment; eyeing April official visits

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Pretty sure we have been recruiting Frenchie for a long time certainly not a fall back plan.

A long time like Xavier Foster long time or like since THT started popping up in 1st round mocks long time? Spring (HS) targets are spring targets. These guys are never cream of the crop.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
A long time like Xavier Foster long time or like since THT started popping up in 1st round mocks long time? Spring (HS) targets are spring targets. These guys are never cream of the crop.
At least since last summer or fall.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Lot of negativity in this thread but before we start saying the off season is a disaster or worse let's see what the roster looks like in June.
ISU lost out on Nadolny, but still has the other early targets available and visits scheduled. I doubt ISU would have gotten both Nadolny and Wheeler whether that is the players or coaches not wanting join a crowded back court. Plus Tre Jackson is already committed as the 19 combo. Either would be nice to get but not roster crushing losses.

Grill is making his second visit in a month, Wheeler is announcing next Monday. all is not lost.
We'll see if Tucker and Glider make it to campus but we know coaches are actively pursuing.
There is always the slight chance that Wigginton or THT could decide to come back. I don't expect it but the staff at least hasn't ruled out the possibility.

Until Prohm does get a commitment I understand the concern but, we do need to be patient and see how it works out.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He's good but missing out on Nadolny isn't a big deal. I don't think the staff had planned to sign 6 freshman, 5 of which are guard/wing players anyway. Prohm has talked about liking his classes balanced and he plays a short bench,it makes no sense having 6 kids in the same class. We just need one of the two other HS kids, a GT and a sit out, then we're set up nicely for the next two or three years.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
1. We land Wheeler.

2. We land Johnson, and we stash him. Turns out he is pretty good, following something of a Nader career path once off the redshirt the year after next year.

3. Wigginton comes back.

Calling my shot. :D
I feel like something that is commonly overlooked in the transfer market is just how valuable the sit-out year is.

There's a reason we saw huge jumps in production from the Babbs, Nader, Jacobson, Shayok, etc when comparing their stats at previous schools.

They get a year to hone their skills. Same will be the case for Johnson if we land him. A year with a much higher caliber training staff and facilities will do wonders. He's probably not far off from a Talley level of talent.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I feel like something that is commonly overlooked in the transfer market is just how valuable the sit-out year is.

There's a reason we saw huge jumps in production from the Babbs, Nader, Jacobson, Shayok, etc when comparing their stats at previous schools.

They get a year to hone their skills. Same will be the case for Johnson if we land him. A year with a much higher caliber training staff and facilities will do wonders. He's probably not far off from a Talley level of talent.

I think its underrated just how important a RS is for any player, at any time. A mature upperclassman is likely to use his sit out year better than a frosh but I think its always good to have 5th year guys, regardless of when they took their RS. Look at Tech, this year, their top 6 had 4 guys who at some point used their RS year, Mooney, Owens, Odiase and Francis.

Goofyguy1

Feb 18, 2017
Lot of negativity in this thread but before we start saying the off season is a disaster or worse let's see what the roster looks like in June.
ISU lost out on Nadolny, but still has the other early targets available and visits scheduled. I doubt ISU would have gotten both Nadolny and Wheeler whether that is the players or coaches not wanting join a crowded back court. Plus Tre Jackson is already committed as the 19 combo. Either would be nice to get but not roster crushing losses.

Grill is making his second visit in a month, Wheeler is announcing next Monday. all is not lost.
We'll see if Tucker and Glider make it to campus but we know coaches are actively pursuing.
There is always the slight chance that Wigginton or THT could decide to come back. I don't expect it but the staff at least hasn't ruled out the possibility.

Until Prohm does get a commitment I understand the concern but, we do need to be patient and see how it works out.
We need to just forfeit the season and fire the entire staff.

Reactions: isutrevman

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

Yeah, I don't understand why people aren't excited for Johnson. You look at the kids highlight tapes and he is athletic, quick shot, and appears to be able to slash some. I really like the looks of the kid. If he has a good work ethic, he could be a good one. I understand he is doing it against lesser team, but Grill does the same thing just in high school. I think this would be a very solid get.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Talley played 7.5 mpg his senior year, so if this Johnson isnt quite at Talley's level, what kind of production can they realistically expect from him. 4mpg? 5?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We may not get any of the late season 2019 HS targets, but it's not doom and gloom.

We have a very solid 2019 recruiting class already, all but one of an amazing 2018 recruiting class coming back, we have strong ties with more 2020 elite players than I can ever remember in a class and we have some other solid pieces already on the team for next year.

Where's the doom and gloom in that scenario? What am I missing here?

To me, this Spring is just the sprinkles on the icing that is already on the cake. If we get anything of value, that looks pretty cool! If not, we already have a sweet scenario.

You do realize their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 9th in the Big 12 right now? "Very Solid" isnt a word I would use but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think there is valid reason for concern right now based on who's coming back and if they dont get any of these spring targets.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, I don't understand why people aren't excited for Johnson. You look at the kids highlight tapes and he is athletic, quick shot, and appears to be able to slash some. I really like the looks of the kid. If he has a good work ethic, he could be a good one. I understand he is doing it against lesser team, but Grill does the same thing just in high school. I think this would be a very solid get.
People understand that we wont get the top tanked high school players, but for some reason, think we should be getting the top ranked grad transfers every year, even though we face about the same competition for them both.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Jerry Meyer just put in a CB for Wheeler to Georgia...So....0-2..

As for Johnson the sit out...I would sure have hoped if we are going to take our time with a sit out that it would be a little higher caliber player..Any other P5 schools after J Johnson?

And some of you keep saying that landing any of these 3 HS kids isn’t make or break...Outside of TH, Nixon, and incoming frosh Tre, we have no guards.

I’m as excited about Tre as anyone but he’s a frosh..what if he’s just not ready? What if someone gets hurt? Not to mention that as of right now we are sitting at 9 player roster.

Is the sky falling? No but it sure ain’t sunny and 70 right now.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
People understand that we wont get the top tanked high school players, but for some reason, think we should be getting the top ranked grad transfers every year, even though we face about the same competition for them both.

That belief stems from the Hoiberg years when we did get all the great Grad transfers. What everyone needs to realize is that nobody else was playing that game back then, and everybody is playing it now.