RECRUITING: 2025's top in-state prospect Thomas Meyer recaps visit

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
RECRUITING: Iowa State hosted the top in-state prospect in the 2025 class in @thomasmeyer0 during the Cy-Hawk game last weekend.

@cfchangs9 caught up with him to recap the visit.

Reactions: cy4state

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Iowa bound I'm sure. Losing to the Hawks every year is a huge drag on instate recruiting.
I guess Iowa State will never be able to land top talent in state since they constantly lose to Iowa. I mean look at the top 10 2023 in state recruits and where they committed to

PlayerSchool
Kayden ProctorAlabama
Andrew DepaepeMichigan State
Ben KueterIowa
JJ KohlIowa State
Abu SamaIowa State
David CaulkerIowa State
Jamison PattonIowa State
Jaxon SmolikPenn State
Asa NewsomKansas State
Alex MotaIowa

Iowa landed 2 of the top 10 recruits last year to Iowa State's 4. Yeah,,, losing to Iowa is certainly a huge drag on instate recruiting

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I guess Iowa State will never be able to land top talent in state since they constantly lose to Iowa. I mean look at the top 10 2023 in state recruits and where they committed to

PlayerSchool
Kayden ProctorAlabama
Andrew DepaepeMichigan State
Ben KueterIowa
JJ KohlIowa State
Abu SamaIowa State
David CaulkerIowa State
Jamison PattonIowa State
Jaxon SmolikPenn State
Asa NewsomKansas State
Alex MotaIowa

Iowa landed 2 of the top 10 recruits last year to Iowa State's 4. Yeah,,, losing to Iowa is certainly a huge drag on instate recruiting
You're definitely cherry picking information. Iowa routinely wipes us in recruiting in state.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
You're definitely cherry picking information. Iowa routinely wipes us in recruiting in state.
Top 10 recruits from Iowa by year

2023: Iowa State 4, Iowa 2
2022: Iowa State 4, Iowa 4
2021: Iowa State 1, Iowa 5
2020: Iowa State 4, Iowa 4

Data taken from 247 sports. I wouldn’t say that constitutes as “routinely wiping us”.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

Data taken from 247 sports. I wouldn’t say that constitutes as “routinely wiping us”.
Look at the 2024 class though. Iowa has almost every top 10 in-state player. We have zero.

Reactions: chadly82

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Look at the 2024 class though. Iowa has almost every top 10 in-state player. We have zero.
Which is an anomaly for the past 4 years. To say Iowa consistently recruits better in Iowa isn’t really accurate.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

They wipe us. Especially when it's kids that have committable offers to both schools.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: Cyhig and 7Got6

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
They wipe us. Especially when it's kids that have committable offers to both schools.
Let's wait to judge after their playing careers are over, then rank them.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for your opinion. I’ll use data to support my claim. Where’s your data?

Edit: and remember, Ferentz went on record a few years ago that Iowa only sends offers to kids they feel they have a realistic chance at landing. So if a player they believe is a heavy ISU lean, and Iowa feels they don’t have a shot and landing him, they won’t offer

• Haha
Reactions: 7Got6

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Let's wait to judge after their playing careers are over, then rank them.
Agreed. Definitely should wait until a college career is over before ranking. Once you hit campus, rankings don't matter.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Thanks for your opinion. I’ll use data to support my claim. Where’s your data?

Edit: and remember, Ferentz went on record a few years ago that Iowa only sends offers to kids they feel they have a realistic chance at landing. So if a player they believe is a heavy ISU lean, and Iowa feels they don’t have a shot and landing him, they won’t offer
This past year, we did well in the state of Iowa. The year before, the linebackers were the only ones we can say we got over Iowa. The Deyo recruitment was weird, regardless of what anyone says. He also didn't pan out, so it doesn't matter.

2021 - none of our Iowa commits guys had Iowa offers.

2020 - none of our Iowa commits had Iowa offers.

I should mention, this is from 247. Data is fun, especially when you want to try to be a sarcastic ****.

And if you want to go back further, remember, our recruiting has improved under Campbell.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
It’s just one year but not getting a single player ranked in the top 10 is concerning no matter where the kids are from. Especially when you consider the rest of the 2024 class is not particularly good.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
This past year, we did well in the state of Iowa. The year before, the linebackers were the only ones we can say we got over Iowa. The Deyo recruitment was weird, regardless of what anyone says. He also didn't pan out, so it doesn't matter.

2021 - none of our Iowa commits guys had Iowa offers.

2020 - none of our Iowa commits had Iowa offers.

I should mention, this is from 247. Data is fun, especially when you want to try to be a sarcastic ****.

And if you want to go back further, remember, our recruiting has improved under Campbell.
Once again… Iowa and Iowa State have different philosophies when it comes to sending offers. Iowa won’t offer a kid if they think they won’t realistically land the kid. Iowa State will offer because you never know if they will change their mind.

Ferentz admitted to this a number of years ago. So the fact Iowa didn’t offer means nothing.

But hey… keep believing what you want to believe. I’ll just use data and draw conclusions from the data.

And you want to review recruiting from before CMC arrived? Why? How is data that old relevant? I mean if you have to compare recruiting from the schools from the ‘80s and ‘90s to make your point, it should tell you something how weak your point is

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Once again… Iowa and Iowa State have different philosophies when it comes to sending offers. Iowa won’t offer a kid if they think they won’t realistically land the kid. Iowa State will offer because you never know if they will change their mind.

Ferentz admitted to this a number of years ago. So the fact Iowa didn’t offer means nothing.

But hey… keep believing what you want to believe. I’ll just use data and draw conclusions from the data
Because they had such great chances of landing Collin Newell and Allen Lazard that they offered.

Also, you can believe Ferentz on what you want. There have been multiple times where his words don't match his actions. He said he didn't like when schools recruited kids who are already committed and then he goes out and does the same thing.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Because they had such great chances of landing Collin Newell and Allen Lazard that they offered.

Also, you can believe Ferentz on what you want. There have been multiple times where his words don't match his actions. He said he didn't like when schools recruited kids who are already committed and then he goes out and does the same thing.
I can believe what I want to with what Ferentz actually said?? He was discussing why Iowa had low offer totals while a school like Iowa State offered a lot of kids.

Let me know when you actually information or data that is validated to support any claim you have.