Really good article on TJ from The Athletic

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Really good article. Because there's so much discussion of how hard the team works, how tough practices are, and how regimented everything is, plus TJ's focused demeanor, I think fans of other teams (and maybe some Iowa State fans) don't realize the non-basketball human aspect of him. I think the article did a good job of capturing that.

Yes, Otz is the kind of guy that demands toughness, uniformity, and a strict schedule from his team. But he's also the kind of guy who sends handwritten notes to anyone he meets, cares about his players outside of basketball, and, from my understanding, pretty much anyone who meets him likes him immediately. In some ways, it's the best of both worlds in the stereotype of an old-school drill sergeant-esque coach who regiments everything and the stereotype of a new-school coach who focuses on relationships before basketball.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If he got up today at 3:59am EDT, I really hope there’s a nap scheduled before the 10pm tip-off tonight.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
The obsession with his polos is weird. I swear it's the number one topic of conversation I have with fans from other schools about TJ, and it's not close. They all bring it up. It really triggers some people. I think it's hilarious. He's fit and looks good in them. Sorry you can't pull it off.

Agreed. Very weird. I've never thought his shirts were unusually tight. I would guess TJ has more muscle than 99% of the average fan, especially people his age. Clothes fit differently with that build.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Agreed. Very weird. I've never thought his shirts were unusually tight. I would guess TJ has more muscle than 99% of the average fan, especially people his age. Clothes fit differently with that build.
It’s very weird. I’m very particular how my clothes fit and won’t wear anything isn’t slim fit/tapered/tailored.

Baggy shirts and pants are such a bad look especially if you have a build like TJ. No wonder the uncultured swine of K State fans are obsessed with his polos.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
It’s very weird. I’m very particular how my clothes fit and won’t wear anything isn’t slim fit/tapered/tailored.

Baggy shirts and pants are such a bad look especially if you have a build like TJ. No wonder the uncultured swine of K State fans are obsessed with his polos.
By necessity, mine are probably tapered/tailored differently than yours....

Last edited:
Reactions: ClubCy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have some connections to the staff.
It wasn't really in the article but TJ is adamant about family time and "clocking out."
More than one on staff has reiterated TJ will get mad at you if you could have made your kid's event and were working instead.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I have some connections to the staff.
It wasn't really in the article but TJ is adamant about family time and "clocking out."
More than one on staff has reiterated TJ will get mad at you if you could have made your kid's event and were working instead.
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
I love how everyone is complementary of the article and grateful about the coverage of Iowa state but at the same time trying to find out how to not pay for the content.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love how everyone is complementary of the article and grateful about the coverage of Iowa state but at the same time trying to find out how to not pay for the content.
For some reason it opened fine for me.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
fantastic read. Man oh man, after reading that, I am so juiced for tonight. I want TJ and his team to reap the rewards of their extremely hard work.