Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think it maybe matters less today, but I think it still matters. If nothing else, it matters to masses of alumni, many of whom are donors, what conference their alma mater is part of in terms of academic reputation. My wife's cousins are Southern Cal graduates and pretty looped in and back when the move to the B1G thing was happening, I asked them about the rumors about USC to the SEC if joining the B1G didn't work out and they said alumni would've lost their sh*t if USC joined the SEC.

Those mother ******* had OJ's Heisman on display

I don't want to hear **** from USC fan

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
They matter to the school presidents making the decisions. Why do you think Stanford and Cal got into the ACC
You mean, why did ACC schools vote against it?

Stanford, Cal, and SMU got in, against the wishes of UNC, because the ACC could revenue rape the schools to get CA and TX

Academics may have a little weight left in determining which schools the BIG invites (but clearly not much given Stanford and Cal’s aforementioned predicament)

But determining where a school goes is above the president. Particularly when such an action marginalizes several other state entities. It’s politics. UNC has political cover, if not pressure, to go to SEC with NC St

The SEC with UNC, Texas, UF, Vandy, A&M, Missouri, NC St, and UVa is good enough academically to allow for such moves

• Disagree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
There is zero chance VT and NCST go to the SEC by themselves, zero
Mike Slive once said VT and NC State were worth more to the SEC than FSU and Clemson. How much is adding huge markets like Virginia, North carolina and DC to the SEC network?

Sure, the SEC would prefer UVA and UNC, but if it whiffs on both, does it just sit tight and let the BIG gather all the chips?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Mike Slive once said VT and NC State were worth more to the SEC than FSU and Clemson. How much is adding huge markets like Virginia, North carolina and DC to the SEC network?

Sure, the SEC would prefer UVA and UNC, but if it whiffs on both, does it just sit tight and let the BIG gather all the chips?

I actually think NCST is a dark horse candidate for the SEC as it would be an expansion of the current sate footprint that the SEC resides in.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
It is all about what ESPN or Fox is willing to pay.
I'm not sure the BIG or SEC take anyone, even UNC, if no network is willing to pay more.

To me, is the brand of an FSU better than a new market like north carolina or virginia? And NC state and VT have been better at the game of football than UNC and UVA--not that that matters. see rutgers.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I actually think NCST is a dark horse candidate for the SEC as it would be an expansion of the current sate footprint that the SEC resides in.
This 100%. NC State doesn't get the respect it deserves in expansion talks. On field success is only part of the equation. When you factor in institutional metrics like enrollment, academic rankings, and university endowment, they fit right in with SEC peers. After all, it's the university Presidents that ultimately sign off on these decisions.

NC State also would probably be an easier add politically then FSU and Clemson as you wouldn't have to worry about pissing off Florida and South Carolina.

All things considered, I think NC State may be the #3 best option for the SEC after UNC/UVA.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Fun -- we've reached the time of year in college sports when random journalists, podcasters, media, ect. spew complete hot garbage about "this team would go to this conference" and "that team would go to that conference". All of this in a bunch of hypothetical, made up in their head, situations that have 0% chance of actually happening.

Fun

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It is all about what ESPN or Fox is willing to pay.
I'm not sure the BIG or SEC take anyone, even UNC, if no network is willing to pay more.

To me, is the brand of an FSU better than a new market like north carolina or virginia? And NC state and VT have been better at the game of football than UNC and UVA--not that that matters. see rutgers.
Well duh. If the media contract isn’t going to increase no school is being added no matter who they are.

I do think that your question of market is an interesting one but NCST doesn’t exactly bring the market and neither does VaTech in my opinion. Also NCST hasn’t exactly been better then UNC and VaTech has been trash for years now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This 100%. NC State doesn't get the respect it deserves in expansion talks. On field success is only part of the equation. When you factor in institutional metrics like enrollment, academic rankings, and university endowment, they fit right in with SEC peers. After all, it's the university Presidents that ultimately sign off on these decisions.

NC State also would probably be an easier add politically then FSU and Clemson as you wouldn't have to worry about pissing off Florida and South Carolina.

All things considered, I think NC State may be the #3 best option for the SEC after UNC/UVA.
I've heard Finebaum discuss this a few times, he believes NC State is probably the best fit for the SEC among potential ACC targets.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I think the media environment has changed a bit since Mike Slive bought the farm 7 years ago.

I agree about value of VA and NC markets to SEC, but it will be subscriptions vs. SECN.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think the media environment has changed a bit since Mike Slive bought the farm 7 years ago.

I agree about value of VA and NC markets to SEC, but it will be subscriptions vs. SECN.
Does the SEC own any part of the network or is it all ESPN?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Honestly if you look at the points your making “academic rankings, endowment, etc” they are actually higher then the vast majority of the SEC. They would be 6th academically, and 6th in endowment as well. Take out vandy who doesn’t do revenue sports and they would be top 5. Kinda interesting to compare and weird how far back most SEC schools are in both.

I still don’t think they would go without UNC but I get the point people are making and it has merit

Reactions: PickSix

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I did go browse VT boards, and they are very Utah-esque. They realize they probably aren't getting into the Big 10 or SEC, but they think the Big 12 is a step down. IIRC the last time they played a Big 12 team they got their ass kicked at home by WVU.

Certainly didn't think much of us during their last football coaching search. Campbell was theirs if they wanted him.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Well duh. If the media contract isn’t going to increase no school is being added no matter who they are.

I do think that your question of market is an interesting one but NCST doesn’t exactly bring the market and neither does VaTech in my opinion. Also NCST hasn’t exactly been better then UNC and VaTech has been trash for years now.

How much did the BIG deal increase when OR and UW were added?

It’s no longer that simple

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Good point. Yep, doesn't make sense.

Wasn't there talk (during the "Magnificent 7") that if the conference gets below a certain number, the exit fee or GOR is not enforced? You would only have 5 or 8 left, depending when this happens since Stanford, Cal, and SMU coming aboard. If the 4 hear that the 6 are leaving, maybe they join in and head out the door too, and all 10 are off scott free or with a minimum penalty.
I think you are conflating a couple different things.

It has been said if the ACC membership drops below a certain number. Then ESPN can renegotiate their deal, keep in mind the GoR is separate from the media deal. They directly work off each other but they are separate, you can negotiate one and not the other. etc.

And also it has been said they need a majority or at least 8 votes to "dissolve" the conference.

Both of these have been widely reported but I have never seen any actual documentation to prove it.

There is also the fact that the ACC told the members that they had a media deal the entire length of the GOR to get them to sign. But in truth they gave ESPN several ways out of their contract without giving them a way out of the GOR at the same time. ESPN can drop or renegotiate their deal in '26, or if the membership drops. This is part of the lawsuit, the ACC never told the members they gave ESPN these outs when they signed their GOR, and then kept the GOR locked down. This is also why the ACC wants to keep any of the court docs from being made public.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Does the SEC own any part of the network or is it all ESPN?
I don't believe the SEC has any ownership in SECN.

It will be interesting to see the logistics of the new ESPN, FOX and Warner Bros streaming platform that is supposed to launch this fall. It includes the broad based linear platforms like ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, TBS, TNT. And it includes all the Conference channels: BTN, ESPN+, SECN & ACCN.

The monthly subscription is speculated to be $40+. If this platform provides larger margins on a subscriber basis, hom much do the 3 parties push sports fans to this platform over cable or multi-channel streamers?

We already have the NCAA Final 4 on TBS vs. CBS. I have a feeling that within the next decade all NCAA and Professional Championships won't be shown on OTA Networks.

• Useful
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Those mother ******* had OJ's Heisman on display

I don't want to hear **** from USC fan

A jury of his peers said he didn't do it.

Reasonable doubt and everything.

:jimlad:
While I agree it is not a good look to display said trophy.

I also can look at it as he was innocent when he won said trophy.

All his crimes and alleged crimes (that he was acquitted for) happened many years after.

I could argue both ways on the subject.

But yes I agree it is a bad look. But also something I really care about.

Now if they did something specific to celebrate him today it would be worse, like electing him to their hall of fame or retiring jersey or something like that, after all the bad stuff has happened, that would be worse. But leaving a trophy he won decades ago before his crimes etc on a the shelf...not really as big of deal. To me anyway.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
While I agree it is not a good look to display said trophy.

I also can look at it as he was innocent when he won said trophy.

All his crimes and alleged crimes (that he was acquitted for) happened many years after.

I could argue both ways on the subject.

But yes I agree it is a bad look. But also something I really care about.

Now if they did something specific to celebrate him today it would be worse, like electing him to their hall of fame or retiring jersey or something like that, after all the bad stuff has happened, that would be worse. But leaving a trophy he won decades ago before his crimes etc on a the shelf...not really as big of deal. To me anyway.

There is a school of thought his football career indirectly led to the... incident.

CTE has been documented to cause mood swings and violent outbursts.

Like... doing something terrible to your estranged wife.