Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
The Big Ten is not screwing around with KU IMO. They will go after the next major Football brand or Market.
Wouldn't even be surprised if they grab someone from the ACC and they just pay the exit fee with how much money per year we are talking.

I would like to see some good football teams enter the Big Ten West so Iowa makes their millions and becomes irrelevant.

If Nebraska can get out of their own way you would have Nebby, Wisky, UCLA, USC, Iowa. I have to think USC and UCLA want another couple schools so they could have a pod out there though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa’s chances of ever making the B1G title game again are all but gone.

If they go division less as they say they are, Iowa will have to finish in the top 2 now with teams like tOSU, Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, USC, Washington, etc.

All that money isn’t much fun when you’re losing.

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
So is this heading towards like three 22ish team conferences?

Correct. Big 10 takes the academic powerhouses in the PAC 12 and ACC, SEC gets the elite football schools in the ACC, and the Big 12 gets the leftovers.

And in 15 years when CFB’s charm is completely gone, we’ll move back towards regional conferences.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There were some Twitter rumors about Kansas and the Big East earlier this afternoon, fwiw. Football could go independent and play G5 teams and be just fine with it.

If KU was going to go the Big East/independent route, they would've done it after UT and OU left. Today doesn't change their status; if anything it makes it more likely that their status in the Big 12 will improve relative to what it was yesterday.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
With some of these recent moves, maybe taking PAC may not be the answer. I wonder if schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc would be willing to break their GOR given the media deal numbers being thrown out and join the BIG 12. I mentioned somewhere else that Theo ACC media rights deal is getting smaller compared to these new deals, and thus, the dollars may make sense to pay the damages of leaving the ACC.

Additionally, these would be schools in an area of the country where they actually watch college football and in higher population areas.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
There were some Twitter rumors about Kansas and the Big East earlier this afternoon, fwiw. Football could go independent and play G5 teams and be just fine with it.
Kansas would struggle in G5 football.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
And in 15 years when CFB’s charm is completely gone, we’ll move back towards regional conferences.

Eventually we may be able to play regional opponents and rivalries and then divvy up the money based on how many people watch a given school's games. Ohio State and Alabama can get more cash but OSU doesn't have to play at UCLA or Rutgers, and Alabama doesn't need to go to Mizzou.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I thought that was a joke.

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
I think it's 4. The ACC will exist until schools can break their ACC GOR. Then we will see 3 conferences: Big10, SEC, Big 20-something.

When you’re potential revenue is over $100 million a year versus $30 million, it doesn’t take long for the value of the GOR to be bought

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2speedy1 and SCNCY

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Unless the NFL expands dramatically, all the NIL and Mega conference crap is going to cause a s*** load of problems for athletically gifted players. It just won't work out. Too high of expectations and the same number of slots to fill.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Man if Apple really is coming back to the table then I have no idea what the number is. Amazon was supposed to be the streaming partner in the drivers seat outside of linear but if it is a bidding war then who knows.
My guess is Apple folded with the idea they could get the Pac12 & Big12 for same rights fees and still use live sports to grow Apple+.

No Pac12 and tough to attain all streaming subscriber goals with only Big12. They can always fall back on any Pac12/Big12 consolidation.

• Creative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
When you’re potentially revenue is over $100 million a year versus $30 million, it doesn’t take long for the value of the GOR to be bought
I think $100M is a bit high for 2025. Maybe 2028-2030.

Unless some lawyer discovers a GOR dissolution magic bullet, the ACC schools are probably off-limits unless ESPN and ACC schools mutually agree to end ACC Network.

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
If KU was going to go the Big East/independent route, they would've done it after UT and OU left. Today doesn't change their status; if anything it makes it more likely that their status in the Big 12 will improve relative to what it was yesterday.

KU is not going independent. That’s a huge revenue loss from the Big 12 to the Big East.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
And people thought these kids were being taken advantage of in the old system. Welcome to the Big Time!

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
Not good news for B12, polish this turd if so inclined but this is not good news.

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
I think $100M is a bit high for 2025. Maybe 2028-2030.

Unless some lawyer discovers a GOR dissolution magic bullet, the ACC schools are probably off-limits unless ESPN and ACC schools mutually agree to end ACC Network.

Before today I would agree. But I just don’t know anymore. The money is so ridiculously large