Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
For us nonsubscribers, is there anything in The Athletic article that gives encouragement the Big 12 expansion into PAC 12 is actually going to occur?

The reports are that those 6 Pac-12 schools are actually talking with us. That is significant itself. But realignment can change on a dime. Nothing is done until it is done.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Here is the million dollar question. Can the new PAC “10” be propped up by Oregon and Washington.
Conceivable yes, especially if ESPN plays a part in all this. The PAC just got its legs ripped out from under them by Fox. They could ban together in spite and fetch probably something close to what the new Big 12 will get with its deal.
In this case ESPN might even try to pull strings to get OSU and TTU although I think those to schools would be dumb to fly the coop at this stage.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Optimistic outcome: Utah, Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona jump to Big 12. Washington & Oregon bail from the sinking ship and come along. Big 16 gets a solid media deal.

Outcome worthy of ISU nutcups (so yeah, it’s definitely possible): Washington & Oregon decide to stay and save the PAC, convince the Mountain 4 to stick with them, add SDSU and someone else to stay at 12, convince networks that the ACC alliance is worth a deal close to/better than Big 12

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Eh it's a lot of coach speak. The new commissioner is "super aggressive". Pac12 members are "not panicking". Arizona and Arizona State are most likely gone and have been eyeing an exit for a while.

Nothing new
Arizona state and colorado released a statement this morning saying they were staying with the Pac12

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Eh it's a lot of coach speak. The new commissioner is "super aggressive". Pac12 members are "not panicking". Arizona and Arizona State are most likely gone and have been eyeing an exit for a while.

Nothing new
We'll, if even ONE more PAC 12 school bolts, it's all over for that conference. The PAC is like a major dam with a huge crack in it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Optimistic outcome: Utah, Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona jump to Big 12. Washington & Oregon bail from the sinking ship and come along. Big 16 gets a solid media deal.

Outcome worthy of ISU nutcups (so yeah, it’s definitely possible): Washington & Oregon decide to stay and save the PAC, convince the Mountain 4 to stick with them, add SDSU and someone else to stay at 12, convince networks that the ACC alliance is worth a deal close to/better than Big 12

That’s not really a kick to the balls. That’s just exactly where we were like 10 days ago and everyone was pretty much fine with that.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Wouldn't that be the Big18 then? 10 - 2 + 4 + 6

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here is the million dollar question. Can the new PAC “10” be propped up by Oregon and Washington.
Conceivable yes, especially if ESPN plays a part in all this. The PAC just got its legs ripped out from under them by Fox. They could ban together in spite and fetch probably something close to what the new Big 12 will get with its deal.
In this case ESPN might even try to pull strings to get OSU and TTU although I think those to schools would be dumb to fly the coop at this stage.
1). ESPN has the SEC and ACC. They don’t need the PAC much.

2). Their 12 were supposed to be around our level after we lost OuT and before they lost LA. So how would they be similar without their big dog/s?

3). I can’t see OSU wanting to go into that uncertain spot and play in empty stadiums for at best the same money. They are considered one of the big boys right now in the big XII, they would be under OU and UW in the PAC

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Nothing will save it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County

I was thinking they could since the Big 12 was fine with just 10. But our big 2 were Texas and OU. Oregon and Washington aren't even in the same stratosphere as Texas and OU. They are definitley in much worse shape than the 10 team big 12 was IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I agree, but I could also see them just adding SDSU and another MWC team and being content. I want the big12 to expand just dont think we have the TV rights $$$ to do it.
We are should be always talking to media people with what ifs. A former fox exec pit Boise (the most valuable school left people think) at 8 MM. there are not non P5 schools left worth much so it’s strictly trying to increase inventory to fill a deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was thinking they could since the Big 12 was fine with just 10. But our big 2 were Texas and OU. Oregon and Washington aren't even in the same stratosphere as Texas and OU. They are definitley in much worse shape than the 10 team big 12 was IMO.
And that always seemed to get punished for some odd reason for being at 10.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Nothing will save it.

If we can save the Big 12 through losing Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and two more schools then the Pac-12 is not beyond saving. They absolutely could continue as a Pac-10 if they stuck together. Dodd reported that the $$$ difference between that Pac-10 and the new Big 12 would be negligible. Two leagues tied for 4th place.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There were in terrible shape WITH Los Angeles.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I like the PAC/ACC partnership idea. As the PAC commissioner checks into it, let's also check into a Big12+6pac schools partnering with the ACC in the same way. Betting i know which version creates the most revenue for all involved.

Help Support Us

Become a patron