Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Ran a really quick errand, driving our old car. I had parked next to a smaller "crossover" vehicle.

As I went to get back in, I realized just how much bigger/taller our new-to-us vehicle is. My car roof hits me at around my waist, and the crossover roof felt like it was around my shoulders or base of my neck. Our new vehicle roof is probably towards the top of my forehead. I mean, if I swing my legs out while sitting in the front seat, my feet don't touch the ground. Our vehicle is basically an SUV body on a truck chassis.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ran a really quick errand, driving our old car. I had parked next to a smaller "crossover" vehicle.

As I went to get back in, I realized just how much bigger/taller our new-to-us vehicle is. My car roof hits me at around my waist, and the crossover roof felt like it was around my shoulders or base of my neck. Our new vehicle roof is probably towards the top of my forehead. I mean, if I swing my legs out while sitting in the front seat, my feet don't touch the ground. Our vehicle is basically an SUV body on a truck chassis.
Your car roof is at your waist?? Are you 9 foot tall?? My sons impala roof is around my arm pit and I’m 5 11.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm way out of the loop on this, so I apologize in advance, but are JTS and JHHC going to be open to capacity this season?
I think Pollard would LIKE to get people hyped to fill Hilton (side note: haven't seen it referred to as JHHC, had to figure that one out). Don't know if it will happen though since it's an inside venue. A lot can be justified if you're in the open air for the most part.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Welp, had two guys spend the day today putting in the posts and lines and such...project manager (who will oversee this along with other projects) and project foreman (who will be here daily with the different crews (cement, decking, construction, electric, HVAC, etc).

We were supposed to meet with the entire group last Wednesday, but when we were headed down Dayton to their shop off 13th, they called & said they were running late at a meeting in Ames and could we please reschedule. So, we rescheduled for Friday at 2.00p. We thought the office manager, the project manager, the architect and the salesman (who also runs the cost estimates) were all going to be there, and we had answered all of these questions about job site & expectations (radio yes/no, bathroom or bring in a Kaybo, smoking, etc) that they provided to us beforehand so that we were ready for the conversation with ALL of them. Only the architect and the salesman showed up on Friday. The other two were "tied up elsewhere". At that point, we found out that the architect was just as frustrated as we were about all the hurry up & wait bullcrap going on. He told us that we were really easy to work with and we didn't deserve the back seat we were getting for our project.

He came over yesterday to just eyeball what had been done on our site and see what the woods look like when everything has leafed out (he hadn't been here since early March). He told us then that he called the other guys in for a meeting that morning, and told them that they needed to put more of a priority on us...basically read them the riot act for not giving us more attention. He told us he'd probably made a couple of enemies, but he didn't care. I'm grateful that he went to bat for us, but hope that he didn't complicate his work environment too badly. At any rate, the foreman came out yesterday afternoon with the guy from Consumers Electric to check wiring needs, and then came back today with the project manager. I think our architect friend made an impression. I just hope that a) the progress continues and b) that it didn't jeopardize his job.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Welp, had two guys spend the day today putting in the posts and lines and such...project manager (who will oversee this along with other projects) and project foreman (who will be here daily with the different crews (cement, decking, construction, electric, HVAC, etc).

We were supposed to meet with the entire group last Wednesday, but when we were headed down Dayton to their shop off 13th, they called & said they were running late at a meeting in Ames and could we please reschedule. So, we rescheduled for Friday at 2.00p. We thought the office manager, the project manager, the architect and the salesman (who also runs the cost estimates) were all going to be there, and we had answered all of these questions about job site & expectations (radio yes/no, bathroom or bring in a Kaybo, smoking, etc) that they provided to us beforehand so that we were ready for the conversation with ALL of them. Only the architect and the salesman showed up on Friday. The other two were "tied up elsewhere". At that point, we found out that the architect was just as frustrated as we were about all the hurry up & wait bullcrap going on. He told us that we were really easy to work with and we didn't deserve the back seat we were getting for our project.

He came over yesterday to just eyeball what had been done on our site and see what the woods look like when everything has leafed out (he hadn't been here since early March). He told us then that he called the other guys in for a meeting that morning, and told them that they needed to put more of a priority on us...basically read them the riot act for not giving us more attention. He told us he'd probably made a couple of enemies, but he didn't care. I'm grateful that he went to bat for us, but hope that he didn't complicate his work environment too badly. At any rate, the foreman came out yesterday afternoon with the guy from Consumers Electric to check wiring needs, and then came back today with the project manager. I think our architect friend made an impression. I just hope that a) the progress continues and b) that it didn't jeopardize his job.

Sounds like the contractor is overextended. Sorry to hear that KC. Happens a lot, especially at the smaller level where they are always having to chase work.

As far as making enemies/jeopardizing, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a two way street with those guys in terms of relationships. The architect wants referrals from the contractor and the contractor wants referrals from the architect. Unless someone gets hurt financially, people in the industry tend to have short term memories (speaking from experience).

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We are starting to see lead times for material expressed in months instead of weeks. I'm glad I'm almost out of this crap.
Yeah, I was at a meeting today and they said that if you are ordering video monitors they have given up on giving delivery estimates all together. I thought they said the superconductor shortage is making it pretty much impossible to get one, to say nothing of a couple hundred.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Sounds like the contractor is overextended. Sorry to hear that KC. Happens a lot, especially at the smaller level where they are always having to chase work.

As far as making enemies/jeopardizing, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a two way street with those guys in terms of relationships. The architect wants referrals from the contractor and the contractor wants referrals from the architect. Unless someone gets hurt financially, people in the industry tend to have short term memories (speaking from experience).
They are all part of the same building/remodeling company. They bring in subcontractors for much of the physical labor, but as far as we can tell, the design team passes off to the building team and the building team is very hands on.
I'm venting a lot because we started this process last December/January, thinking that way we would be ahead of the curve and building would start when the weather warmed up. We hoped we would be able to use it this summer, but now we DEFINITELY have given them a September completion deadline. We don't want them working on our house while we are out of the country.

Perhaps we were naive in our expectations. This is our first experience with a project this large, and having someone else do the building, and while we realize we are not their only current client, it's just flat out annoying to be constantly put behind other projects. Lew in particular is frustrated as he built the Garagemahal virtually alone, starting Memorial weekend and completing it by Labor Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.