Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Especially with the hail storm there are thousands of houses worth of shingles out there now.

Tree debris is at different locations. According to the city 2.8 million cubic yards of tree debris has been removed thus far.
As much mulch as you want, right?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We had a couple who were members of our church in name only. All of a sudden, he starts coming regularly and it turns out that they were in a swingers group a town away and he wanted to quit but she enjoyed it too much so they split. He has since remarried, not sure if she was in it. It’s just not my thing I guess, don’t see the attraction to it.
I walked into a bar about 10 years ago and it was crowded. Found out it was a meeting of DTO (Down Town Omaha) which is a swingers club.
I didn't see anyone I would have wanted to swing with even if I was so inclined.

• Sad
Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So....seeing that I get to deep fry this turkey, how do I do it? I know that I should stick the bird in my the fryer with water and see how full of oil it should be before I do anything, but everything I’ve seen says peanut oil (I honestly can’t take things fried in peanut oil, something I picked up with lactose intolerance). So I can cook it and eat the ham and have the wife mad at me or eat the turkey and regret it for 24 hours. I’m pretty much screwed either way.

It says to put the oil to 350 degrees, is there a thermometer that I dip in there to see the temp? Not fond of being that close to burning oil
There's plenty of videos out there showing what to and what not to do.

Case in point

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah, it always a fight every year with the holidays. Im glad we arent dealing with it for Thanksgiving at least.
IMO, when kids move out parents shouldn't get to dictate their holidays any more. Especially if their kids now have in-laws. It's even more complicated in our family, where nearly every one of our grandchildren has four sets of grandparents (and all of them have three sets).

I've seen far too many young couples start to hate the holidays and family get-togethers because of parents fighting over holiday time with them.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
IMO, when kids move out parents shouldn't get to dictate their holidays any more. Especially if their kids now have in-laws. It's even more complicated in our family, where nearly every one of our grandchildren has four sets of grandparents (and all of them have three sets).

I've seen far too many young couples start to hate the holidays and family get-togethers because of parents fighting over holiday time with them.
My family has been flexible for the most part. My in laws were the only ones that would conflict with anything. We did thanksgiving lunch and then Christmas Eve. Wife’s family would not budge on Christmas Eve at all so I went firm that we would hold thanksgiving lunch firm. They did lunch and supper so we rarely missed anybody going to lunch for mine and supper on hers.

Her family also had 3 Christmas Get togethers so we had that to schedule around also. My niece is running into conflict because her inlaws don’t understand why they can’t have their dec 23-25 Christmas get togethers with her attending all of them. I have mentioned that as our kids get older we will have some changes occur, wife cringes at that.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Maybe I have a weird holiday outlook because, with the exception of my first five years that we lived in Ft Worth and the GPs were near Kerrville & Houston, I've never even lived in the same state as my grandparents. For me as a child, the holidays were nearly always spent with just my nuclear family: my parents and my sisters. It was rare that we traveled back to Texas for Christmas, and NEVER for Thanksgiving. Most of our Texas trips were summer, because we always drove and it was 3 days each way back then (pre-interstates). Not enough break from school to do the whole trip at Christmas. With my own kids, once we left Pullman when the younger one was six weeks old, we were at least 2 days drive from grandparents (and they were 4 hours from each other), so we made our own holiday traditions with our little nuclear family of four. When my nuclear family changed to a blended family, we decided we were not going to do the tug of war thing over our kids, and that just carried over when they grew up, got married and had in-laws in addition to their two sets of parents.

For me, family gatherings should be a treat that participants are excited about instead of being guilted into "YOU MUST DO THIS VISIT ON THIS SPECIFIC DAY". Or at least they hopefully WILL be in the not too distant future. We tend to gather on different days - the Saturday after Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, and July 4th instead of the more traditional specific "FAMILY" days.

Reactions: cowgirl836

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Woke to the sound of screaming leaf blowers this morning. I am pretty sure these guys will end up with some serious hearing loss.

Glad I can toss all of that junk mail they target me with for hearing aids. Did take care of the audio input sensors over the years. My dad was wearing hearing aids before he was my age but that was directly related to 155mm cannon fire in WWII.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone that has kids that would have recently taken some sort of drivers ed ask them if they teach them about roundabouts.

The main road to my neighborhood is being rebuilt from scratch replacing the unnecessary stop lights with roundabouts and in the limited time since it has been opened up I've seen people stop before entering, stop when another car approaches while inside of it and others take a left by going the wrong way.

I used to teach that subject...it was amazing how parents would complain about them without realizing how much better they are. It just takes some basic reading and seeing things like signs.

Getting more and more roundies up here in the Twin Cities. Seems lots of peeps just don't get them. Be it a single lane or multi-lane roundie the most prevalent take seems to be "I have the right-of-way", be they approaching or already in the roundie and regardless of what lane.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe I have a weird holiday outlook because, with the exception of my first five years that we lived in Ft Worth and the GPs were near Kerrville & Houston, I've never even lived in the same state as my grandparents. For me as a child, the holidays were nearly always spent with just my nuclear family: my parents and my sisters. It was rare that we traveled back to Texas for Christmas, and NEVER for Thanksgiving. Most of our Texas trips were summer, because we always drove and it was 3 days each way back then (pre-interstates). Not enough break from school to do the whole trip at Christmas. With my own kids, once we left Pullman when the younger one was six weeks old, we were at least 2 days drive from grandparents (and they were 4 hours from each other), so we made our own holiday traditions with our little nuclear family of four. When my nuclear family changed to a blended family, we decided we were not going to do the tug of war thing over our kids, and that just carried over when they grew up, got married and had in-laws in addition to their two sets of parents.

For me, family gatherings should be a treat that participants are excited about instead of being guilted into "YOU MUST DO THIS VISIT ON THIS SPECIFIC DAY". Or at least they hopefully WILL be in the not too distant future. We tend to gather on different days - the Saturday after Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, and July 4th instead of the more traditional specific "FAMILY" days.
My grandparents were quite older. For some reason we never received presents from my moms side for anything, dads I did for one Christmas. The crapfest that was ended right there. There are just shy of 30 of us grandkids on my dads side. My grandpa died 21 years before I was born, and my dads mom was the meanest lady I knew. Well, we opened presents. My youngest sister who was there, got something bad, like a partially used bottle of perfume, I got an adult pair of dress socks (as a roughly 5-6 year old, still have them actually). Then the cousins after us got new bikes. Never went back to that crap.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am going to guess that there was more air pollution from leaf blowers in my neighborhood alone than that produced by the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We are having Thanksgiving and Christmas the weekend after this one. My three girls and their significant others. My two oldest are very concerned about me and the wife catching it. Middle daughter is a nazi when it comes to cleanliness, and she's a nurse at Hennepin County Hospital, so things should be good.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I walked into a bar about 10 years ago and it was crowded. Found out it was a meeting of DTO (Down Town Omaha) which is a swingers club.
I didn't see anyone I would have wanted to swing with even if I was so inclined.
How long did you stay and look around?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where’s that damn mailbag, there are some important questions out there? Or are they taking a turkey break until March?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
So we got a new stove, fridge and dishwasher last Thursday. The old fridge and stove got hauled off, but they wouldn't touch the dishwasher.

My daughter and SIL came over Saturday to help install it. First, we couldn't get the old one out. Many special words were said during that time. Then we couldn't get the damn door open to the new DW, so thought it needed to have power to it for that.

The hose to the DW wasn't compatible with our drain hose, so daughter had to run to the store for a connector. Seemed to work okay.

Got the water hooked up with no leaks, and power to it, and opened the door. Guess where all the directions were? And the double connector hose?

Finally, after 5 hrs, we fired it up for a test run. No leaks and the water input line...BUT the drain hose leaked a bit.

I'm hoping right now that, with the new DW in place, we have enough slack to the drain hose that I can pull the connection through to the under-sink cabinet, and be able to work on it there. Otherwise, it's disconnect everything again and pull it back out to get at the hose.

Then we had to switch the door swings on the new fridge. Stymied again! We're going to need a socket and breaker bar to loosen the screws. We actually got the top hinge point loose, but the middle one ruined our socket driver -- we used a channel-locks on the handle of the driver, and now the handle turns, but not the head.

Not quitting yet, but it made for a long weekend (other than the ISU game).

• Wow
Reactions: ImJustKCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.