Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I won't be going back any time soon but pre-Covid I went to Planet Fitness for $10/month.

I generally do about a 20 minute basic lift then maybe a run if I'm able.

What was I missing vs. these higher priced places?

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I won't be going back any time soon but pre-Covid I went to Planet Fitness for $10/month.

What was I missing?
Mirrors?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Caught a doozy yesterday. Was lining up this inspection and was confused. It was a private sale and we analyze all purchase agreements and legal docs. Long story short, the contract had the wrong legal description in it. So if I would not have caught it, a higher end price for this county would have went through with a woman selling a house she did not own.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Typically people paying higher prices are paying for one of two things:

1) Instruction / Coaching in some form. Be it bootcamp classes, small group, spin classes, yoga, whatever. People are paying for accountability / motivation / attention.

I paid the price I did in NY because the gym/trainer I went to would text me any time I missed a scheduled class. Plus as I got better I stayed with that place because it was small, the owner was the trainer, I genuinely liked the people there, and they looked after the people in the class. They were coming up with alternate exercises all the time for people.

2) Amenities. Places that having tanning booths, steam rooms, lap pools, family pools, juice bars, basketball courts, day care, etc.

I had a basic gym membership prior to COVID (still need to cancel it now that I think about it) and it was a whopping $15/month for a brand new (opened in January 2020), 24/7 staffed facility.

• Informative

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011

I am not one that is disciplined enough to go to a gym and do my own workout. The main difference between places like Elite Edge, Farrells, Orange Theory, etc. is that they are instuctor-led specific workouts (bootcamp) with specific training on technic for each movement with follow up and accountability etc. That is how I justify paying that much as opposed to a place that simply has equipment and you are mostly on your own to workout.

• Informative

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I've stopped paying attention to Covid news so much, that I didnt realize the county I live in has the highest positive rate in the state apparently.

• Funny

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Typically people paying higher prices are paying for one of two things:

1) Instruction / Coaching in some form. Be it bootcamp classes, small group, spin classes, yoga, whatever. People are paying for accountability / motivation / attention.

I paid the price I did in NY because the gym/trainer I went to would text me any time I missed a scheduled class. Plus as I got better I stayed with that place because it was small, the owner was the trainer, I genuinely liked the people there, and they looked after the people in the class. They were coming up with alternate exercises all the time for people.

2) Amenities. Places that having tanning booths, steam rooms, lap pools, family pools, juice bars, basketball courts, day care, etc.

I had a basic gym membership prior to COVID (still need to cancel it now that I think about it) and it was a whopping $15/month for a brand new (opened in January 2020), 24/7 staffed facility.
Some gyms have a juice bar????? Do you get a discount on lap dances?

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Planet Fitness had pizza nights sometimes I think.

So get a good work out and completely ruin it in one visit!
Last time I was at a juice bar (23 years ago or so) cover charge was like $10. So $300 for everyday would not be bad now. Although my wife would be mad if went to one especially every night.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just came back from a JH football game. My youngest had to play up due to not enough players. Had to go against a huge kid who launched him a few times. Hard to watch that happen to your kid.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Bumping because we're waaaaay down the page even in Off-Topic and...

Did I miss something? Is @BoxsterCy taking a sabbatical, or do we start a caravan up to the Twin Cities to claim his stuff?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I logged off of Cyclone Fanatic for a few hours this morning, Looks like things went off the rails during that time. I had to go to this thread for some normalcy.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone
Status
Not open for further replies.