BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Interesting.

1) Gas gauge goes 4/4, 2/4, 0/4.
2) The space between the numbers on the speedometer are much closer together than American or Asian made cars. Because of Das Autobahn perhaps?;):cool:
Nice that the speedometer didn’t read like 60 or 70 while the picture was taken.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I'm on a Facebook group that's mostly female non-sports fans. There's a thread about how Disney+, for some reason, assigned an emoji to each state. And, they got some wrong. (Iowa is corn, Nebraska is a pink flower. Give Nebraska corn and Iowa a pig) ANYWAY! Alabama got a football. We all here would agree that makes sense. Someone starts asking about why they have a football. A reply says "Alabama and Auburn Tigers?" Another reply, from an obvious 'Bama fan says basically "They got that one right." Original poster then comes back with "Well, a lot of other southern states play football and win. I still don't see why Alabama has a football."

I am biting my proverbial tongue to not come back with "Oh, you sweet summer child." (Snark towards people is HIGHLY discouraged in this group that I belong to) It comes across that she's either a native or currently lives there. I'm marvelling at how oblivious they are.

Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So, I trust you guys. I dunno why, but I do.

There's a job opening for, what seems to be, a very specific task in a fairly small department of the state government. Said task is very similar to what I do now, just much more specialized. The very bottom of pay that they list is pennies less per hour than what I make now. The drive would be probably cut in half. I'm pretty sure I'd have both Saturdays and Sundays off...right now I get one of those days off, and then a weekday.

So, current job isn't horrible. The whole industry I'm in is kind of in a state of flux(?) because we're essential, and we're trying to adjust to the new normal. There are two major changes coming down the pipe...at least two for my location. One is coming in September, the one specifically for my site. The other change is going to happen across the board at our company, and from what I understand, beta testing has started or will start soon. I won't lose my job, but these changes will take a lot of tasks off my plate, which means there's a strong possibility I get shuffled to a department I won't be thrilled about.

I would love to stick around until at least September to get them through this first big, major change. Plus, November/December is the super busy season. If this other job opening had come January of 2021, I wouldn't feel so bad. But, I'm one of those people that don't like to leave people in a lurch.

What would you do?

P.S. - I've been with current company since October 2018, current site/position since January 6th of this year.

It kind of sounds like you're struggling with the loyalty issue.....and I think that's fairly important. If you think your current company has your back, then your conscience is restricting you from really pulling the trigger on this.

But if not, I guess I'd say it sounds like you are leaning toward making the change. One big thing to think about is how it impacts your future - is there a pension involved? 401(k) differences/advantages? What about PTO and other bennies? All things to consider.

For me, it's mainly now about stress. With a life-changing health diagnosis, I'm trying to eliminate as much additional stress as possible. Plus I've altered my retirement viewpoint significantly, as well. So many things to consider.

Whatever your choice, of course we are all here for you and support you. You'll make the right decision, of that I'm certain. ;)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
No wonder State Farm can make so many commercials. They want $200+/mo for car insurance. I about **** a brick when I did a quote. I'll stick with Flo and Jamie.

I've been with American Family for years. The vixen keeps bugging me about getting a competitive quote, but our (local) agent is tops, and when I have needed them, they - and he - are always there.

That said, I might get a quote just to keep them honest.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm on a Facebook group that's mostly female non-sports fans. There's a thread about how Disney+, for some reason, assigned an emoji to each state. And, they got some wrong. (Iowa is corn, Nebraska is a pink flower. Give Nebraska corn and Iowa a pig) ANYWAY! Alabama got a football. We all here would agree that makes sense. Someone starts asking about why they have a football. A reply says "Alabama and Auburn Tigers?" Another reply, from an obvious 'Bama fan says basically "They got that one right." Original poster then comes back with "Well, a lot of other southern states play football and win. I still don't see why Alabama has a football."

I am biting my proverbial tongue to not come back with "Oh, you sweet summer child." (Snark towards people is HIGHLY discouraged in this group that I belong to) It comes across that she's either a native or currently lives there. I'm marvelling at how oblivious they are.

Some years ago I traveled to rural Alabama to tour a cabinet company that was courting our business. Over lunch in the owner's suite (his 2 sons and son-in-law and their spouses ate with us) an argument erupted over Alabama vs. Auburn. Words were exchanged - and I mean nasty, filthy words - and one of the men actually left the room. An uncomfortable silence ensued.

And I had always thought ISU/EIU was a bitter rivalry.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've been with American Family for years. The vixen keeps bugging me about getting a competitive quote, but our (local) agent is tops, and when I have needed them, they - and he - are always there.

That said, I might get a quote just to keep them honest.

I have been farm bureau forever (honestly since I owned a car at 16). With all the business stuff tied to it, I had an independent agent look at it about 6 years ago and he just handed back the policy and didnt even quote so I figured I was as low as possible.

I should probably pop my umbrella coverage up, but the two young drivers, trucks, and other stuff on it makes it kinda nasty the way it is.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It kind of sounds like you're struggling with the loyalty issue.....and I think that's fairly important. If you think your current company has your back, then your conscience is restricting you from really pulling the trigger on this.

But if not, I guess I'd say it sounds like you are leaning toward making the change. One big thing to think about is how it impacts your future - is there a pension involved? 401(k) differences/advantages? What about PTO and other bennies? All things to consider.

For me, it's mainly now about stress. With a life-changing health diagnosis, I'm trying to eliminate as much additional stress as possible. Plus I've altered my retirement viewpoint significantly, as well. So many things to consider.

Whatever your choice, of course we are all here for you and support you. You'll make the right decision, of that I'm certain. ;)
With my working years winding down I would love to eliminate the stress but I just don't think that is possible unless I take a new lesser job. I know this company has offered early retirement to people when they hit 65 and it was 6 months full pay to walk away. If they offered me that I would take it, take a real vacation then start looking for another job where I can just show up and leave at the end of the day and just leave it all there. Pretty sure at 65 I will have enough to live on with SS. The difference isn't that much between 65 and 66+ 8 months which is full retirement age

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

There's a job opening for, what seems to be, a very specific task in a fairly small department of the state government. Said task is very similar to what I do now, just much more specialized. The very bottom of pay that they list is pennies less per hour than what I make now. The drive would be probably cut in half. I'm pretty sure I'd have both Saturdays and Sundays off...right now I get one of those days off, and then a weekday.

So, current job isn't horrible. The whole industry I'm in is kind of in a state of flux(?) because we're essential, and we're trying to adjust to the new normal. There are two major changes coming down the pipe...at least two for my location. One is coming in September, the one specifically for my site. The other change is going to happen across the board at our company, and from what I understand, beta testing has started or will start soon. I won't lose my job, but these changes will take a lot of tasks off my plate, which means there's a strong possibility I get shuffled to a department I won't be thrilled about.

I would love to stick around until at least September to get them through this first big, major change. Plus, November/December is the super busy season. If this other job opening had come January of 2021, I wouldn't feel so bad. But, I'm one of those people that don't like to leave people in a lurch.

What would you do?

P.S. - I've been with current company since October 2018, current site/position since January 6th of this year.
Everyone feels like they are indispensable to their employer, if they're worth anything. If you are feeling that company changes will affect you, I'd definitely look into the new job. What can it hurt?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Everyone feels like they are indispensable to their employer, if they're worth anything. If you are feeling that company changes will affect you, I'd definitely look into the new job. What can it hurt?

This is one of those times to truly think of and about yourself, I think. It's scary any time to step in a new direction without knowing how far the road will take you. Looking back can only tell you where you've been. I say look into what's there and what could be. At some point you'll need to make a decision - maybe that's today.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

What would you do?

Apply for the new job. 100%. I am assuming decent health benefits if state job, no small consideration these days.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
With my working years winding down I would love to eliminate the stress but I just don't think that is possible unless I take a new lesser job. I know this company has offered early retirement to people when they hit 65 and it was 6 months full pay to walk away. If they offered me that I would take it, take a real vacation then start looking for another job where I can just show up and leave at the end of the day and just leave it all there. Pretty sure at 65 I will have enough to live on with SS. The difference isn't that much between 65 and 66+ 8 months which is full retirement age

Yeah, I'm really leaning toward pulling the pin at 65. 6% difference in what I'd get at 66 + 4 months, that's next to nothing. Plus I'm sure I could find plenty of side work building decks, installing doors, etc to keep me as busy as I want. If I could get an early deal where I get paid in full I'd jump all over it.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8
Status
Not open for further replies.