Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Officially reached that point in life where I am looking forward to replacing a mailbox and doing some staining with LittleWx...We will see how much help he actually provides.
You are old. And optimistic with a youngsters help. Your wish is that he doesn’t more than double the time that it takes you.

Reactions: wxman1

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Did you notice Boxster changed you from a Ms to a Mrs? :eek:
Maybe it's psychological, reminding himself that we can be friends, nothing more.
OR, he's like me and gets S and 3 mixed up rather easily.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So, I trust you guys. I dunno why, but I do.

There's a job opening for, what seems to be, a very specific task in a fairly small department of the state government. Said task is very similar to what I do now, just much more specialized. The very bottom of pay that they list is pennies less per hour than what I make now. The drive would be probably cut in half. I'm pretty sure I'd have both Saturdays and Sundays off...right now I get one of those days off, and then a weekday.

So, current job isn't horrible. The whole industry I'm in is kind of in a state of flux(?) because we're essential, and we're trying to adjust to the new normal. There are two major changes coming down the pipe...at least two for my location. One is coming in September, the one specifically for my site. The other change is going to happen across the board at our company, and from what I understand, beta testing has started or will start soon. I won't lose my job, but these changes will take a lot of tasks off my plate, which means there's a strong possibility I get shuffled to a department I won't be thrilled about.

I would love to stick around until at least September to get them through this first big, major change. Plus, November/December is the super busy season. If this other job opening had come January of 2021, I wouldn't feel so bad. But, I'm one of those people that don't like to leave people in a lurch.

What would you do?

P.S. - I've been with current company since October 2018, current site/position since January 6th of this year.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
No wonder State Farm can make so many commercials. They want $200+/mo for car insurance. I about **** a brick when I did a quote. I'll stick with Flo and Jamie.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

There's a job opening for, what seems to be, a very specific task in a fairly small department of the state government. Said task is very similar to what I do now, just much more specialized. The very bottom of pay that they list is pennies less per hour than what I make now. The drive would be probably cut in half. I'm pretty sure I'd have both Saturdays and Sundays off...right now I get one of those days off, and then a weekday.

So, current job isn't horrible. The whole industry I'm in is kind of in a state of flux(?) because we're essential, and we're trying to adjust to the new normal. There are two major changes coming down the pipe...at least two for my location. One is coming in September, the one specifically for my site. The other change is going to happen across the board at our company, and from what I understand, beta testing has started or will start soon. I won't lose my job, but these changes will take a lot of tasks off my plate, which means there's a strong possibility I get shuffled to a department I won't be thrilled about.

I would love to stick around until at least September to get them through this first big, major change. Plus, November/December is the super busy season. If this other job opening had come January of 2021, I wouldn't feel so bad. But, I'm one of those people that don't like to leave people in a lurch.

What would you do?

P.S. - I've been with current company since October 2018, current site/position since January 6th of this year.
How stable is the state job? Some state jobs have been really good with long-term security & great bennies. Others seem to be the first to be furloughed in tough economic times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

What would you do?

You don’t want to leave people in the lurch, understandable cause neither do I, but your company may be shuffling you around and leaving you in one. I would make the change personally.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
How stable is the state job? Some state jobs have been really good with long-term security & great bennies. Others seem to be the first to be furloughed in tough economic times.

That's a good question. I'm not surprised that a job like this exists for this smaller department, but in the description, it deals with a very small subset.

I guess a hypothetical example would be that your job is to make sure the midnight blue crayon gets into the Crayola box...but in other private companies or maybe even state departments, you're responsible for at least all the shades of blue, if not all the colors of crayons get inside the box.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

What would you do?

pursue the new job and see what they offer. Worst case you find out the opportunity is worse than your current gig.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
No harm in looking. I guess in terms of loyalty, ask yourself if your current boss would be loyal to you? You're still working, so I guess they have been to a certain extent.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Bought a new stainless steel fry pan. Been working on seasoning it. Ended up scrubbing it and starting over.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Officially reached that point in life where I am looking forward to replacing a mailbox and doing some staining with LittleWx...We will see how much help he actually provides.

When he is old enough to provide helpful assistance he won't want to. It's a timeless universal truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.