Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I been working on that.

What in tarnation? Say your prayers, varmint! I'm the meanest, roughest, toughest hombre that's ever crossed the Rio Grande been in the Village People and I ain't no namby-bamby!
Why did I envision a chaw spit to the side, right after reading this?

• Winner
Reactions: jcyclonee

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
More like 13 year olds. 10 year olds are still a little innocent and nice, at least mine were. I would put myself mentally as a young teenager.

I hope my kids stay "innocent and nice" until the 13 range. My oldest already tries to work any word he thinks is inappropriate into a conversation. He's only 8!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I hope my kids stay "innocent and nice" until the 13 range. My oldest already tries to work any word he thinks is inappropriate into a conversation. He's only 8!
Teachable moments! Spell those words and see how soon he "says" them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Just avoid using them as much as possible, they will follow suit. If you people watch you will notice the trends. Parents that curse, have kids who drop F bombs non stop. Parents that smoke, have kids who will more likely smoke. Same with heaving drinking, gambling, spousal abuse. It's not a cut and dried concept, but it does hold true more often then not. We eventually do become our parents. It's up to us to find the things we didn't agree with our parents and work hard to change those so we don't continue the chain. I caught myself on a few things and have worked hard to be a better role model to my kids in those respects, but others I know I have failed.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Teachable moments! Spell those words and see how soon he "says" them.

I definitely use each time I hear him say anything inappropriate as a "teachable" moment. I try to convince him people are more likely to listen and respond positively if proper and appropriate language is used. My wife and I are good at not using words in front of the kids we wouldn't want them to repeat and he's been way too smart to spell words around. He'd repeat the word right away just to prove he knows what we're saying.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
You guys sound like a couple 10 year olds who are just learning how to swear and just blurting out swears to sound "cool"

It was entirely in the interests of science, I assure you. So sorry to have generated such consternation. If necessary, I will report my own post to the mods. Care for a jelly baby?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Just avoid using them as much as possible, they will follow suit. If you people watch you will notice the trends. Parents that curse, have kids who drop F bombs non stop. Parents that smoke, have kids who will more likely smoke. Same with heaving drinking, gambling, spousal abuse. It's not a cut and dried concept, but it does hold true more often then not. We eventually do become our parents. It's up to us to find the things we didn't agree with our parents and work hard to change those so we don't continue the chain. I caught myself on a few things and have worked hard to be a better role model to my kids in those respects, but others I know I have failed.

I totally agree. We stay on top of our language and drinking around the kids, the gambling and spousal abuse are not even close to being an issue. We don't even say stuff like, "I had a rough day at work, I need a beer" as we don't want to teach our kids to use alcohol as a coping mechanism. It's the shows and movies that are supposed to be kid friendly and other kids at school that teach him those words.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
It was entirely in the interests of science, I assure you. So sorry to have generated such consternation. If necessary, I will report my own post to the mods. Care for a jelly baby?

I should hope so! There's no room in RTT for the devil's language like that! :jimlad:

And what's a jelly baby?

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.