Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Question. Can’t remember who was the law ppl in here so I’ll ask other opinions. So about a month ago, I got my car totaled as a guy lost it on the ice and hit me.

Back story. it’s a 2 lane road going each way with a median in the middle. So I’m pulling up and there is already a 4 car wreck covering my 2 lanes and the median. Cars from each way are doing the whole Iowa nice thing where 1 car goes and then let’s the other direction go and so on.

No more cars are coming besides a long way up the hill and I’m at the wreck so I pull around it into the other lane slowly. Get around it and back into (at least the median) if not entirely in my lane when I look to my left and I see an SUV coming directly at an angle and nails my right behind my left drivers wheel. I go and ask what happened and if he lost it on the ice and he says yes but speaks very little English so that’s all I really got out of him.

Cops come, takes care of both wrecks. Looking at the police report that day, the only ticket was No Valid Drivers license. He was on his wife’s insurance. Police Report has a diagram where it shows that according to his report, I was hit in my 2 lanes.

So we start the insurance process and he has minimal insurance they doesn’t even get close to covering the total so mine (progressive) takes the lead All goes smoothly, they’ve collected the amount from his insurance, I get a new vehicle, and I think everything is done.
Fast forward a month, and his wife sends me a threatening text about how I need to take responsibility for this and pay for this and that I am at fault and if not they are filing a suit against me.
My local insurance says they are idiots and pretty much laugh at their claim but will do what is needed. I do some creeping and look at their history. This guy has been busted for failure to have a drivers license now 3 times and 1 time his wife got a ticket the same day for allowing him to operate a vehicle under her name.

I’m guessing that they don’t have the money to replace their vehicle. They live in section 8 housing and insurance thinks threatening is just their way to try and get something out of the deal.

So is there anyway that this comes back as my fault? I did cross over but was back into the median/my lane when I got hit. The guy was going too fast down hill and lost in on the ice IMO.

TL;DR

Pay them off in toilet paper, it's the new currency of 2020 and better than cash American or Euros. Throw in a bottle of hand sanitizer or two and they will probably come over once a week and clean your house and mow your lawn.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What are your thoughts on ranch dressing? Specifically with mozzarella sticks.

I don't vehemently hate it, and am not even mad at it. I think ranch goes well with regular old cheeseballs. Mozz sticks are sort of an extension, but different.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't vehemently hate it, and am not even mad at it. I think ranch goes well with regular old cheeseballs. Mozz sticks are sort of an extension, but different.
By cheese balls, do you mean the kind that come from a can or the delicious state fair-type deep fried cheese curds?

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
By cheese balls, do you mean the kind that come from a can or the delicious state fair-type deep fried cheese curds?

State-fair, heart-clogging, deep-fried insanity. If you get a strong enough ranch, they can pair well together.

I don't think ranch is the ideal dipping sauce for either them (even less for mozz sticks), but it works in a pinch!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
State-fair, heart-clogging, deep-fried insanity. If you get a strong enough ranch, they can pair well together.

I don't think ranch is the ideal dipping sauce for either them (even less for mozz sticks), but it works in a pinch!
Jalapeno ranch on those chunks of deep-fried insanity may be ideal.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Question. Can’t remember who was the law ppl in here so I’ll ask other opinions. So about a month ago, I got my car totaled as a guy lost it on the ice and hit me.

Back story. it’s a 2 lane road going each way with a median in the middle. So I’m pulling up and there is already a 4 car wreck covering my 2 lanes and the median. Cars from each way are doing the whole Iowa nice thing where 1 car goes and then let’s the other direction go and so on.

No more cars are coming besides a long way up the hill and I’m at the wreck so I pull around it into the other lane slowly. Get around it and back into (at least the median) if not entirely in my lane when I look to my left and I see an SUV coming directly at an angle and nails my right behind my left drivers wheel. I go and ask what happened and if he lost it on the ice and he says yes but speaks very little English so that’s all I really got out of him.

Cops come, takes care of both wrecks. Looking at the police report that day, the only ticket was No Valid Drivers license. He was on his wife’s insurance. Police Report has a diagram where it shows that according to his report, I was hit in my 2 lanes.

So we start the insurance process and he has minimal insurance they doesn’t even get close to covering the total so mine (progressive) takes the lead All goes smoothly, they’ve collected the amount from his insurance, I get a new vehicle, and I think everything is done.
Fast forward a month, and his wife sends me a threatening text about how I need to take responsibility for this and pay for this and that I am at fault and if not they are filing a suit against me.
My local insurance says they are idiots and pretty much laugh at their claim but will do what is needed. I do some creeping and look at their history. This guy has been busted for failure to have a drivers license now 3 times and 1 time his wife got a ticket the same day for allowing him to operate a vehicle under her name.

I’m guessing that they don’t have the money to replace their vehicle. They live in section 8 housing and insurance thinks threatening is just their way to try and get something out of the deal.

So is there anyway that this comes back as my fault? I did cross over but was back into the median/my lane when I got hit. The guy was going too fast down hill and lost in on the ice IMO.

TL;DR
Get down out of the tree by @cowgirl836 's house, look these hosers squarely in the eye and say "I am not responsible. You have my insurance information and my insurance will provide for my defense in court for the 3 seconds it takes to dismiss your ridiculous claim. Talk to my insurance people if you have further questions. Do not call or text me again personally regarding this matter or I will seek your prosecution for harassment. Have a nice day."

Let your insurance company handle your defense, if any, (as they are required to do) and go back to playing mafia. I doubt it goes to court, but it is always fun to talk about court.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
source.gif

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

TL;DR
Unless the police report says something wildly different, these people are full of **** and have no leg to stand on. I would probably not contact these people back.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
1600 AM should have it but they don't have a strong transmitter. Depending on where you are coming from I can pick up 100.3 out of DSM up to the west side of town. If you don't mind streaming I would just bring it up on TuneIn.
Probably a good question for the mailbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron