question for uni fans

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
The dual fans, on average, would be Iowa fans. There are some ISU/UNI dual fans, but more Iowa/UNI dual fans. Probably similar to the demographics in the rest of the state.

The diehard UNI fans would probably be more likely to root for ISU since they share the hatred for Iowa.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
The dual fans, on average, would be Iowa fans. There are some ISU/UNI dual fans, but more Iowa/UNI dual fans. Probably similar to the demographics in the rest of the state.

The diehard UNI fans would probably be more likely to root for ISU since they share the hatred for Iowa.

These people exist?

homerHAWKeye777

May 27, 2009
Lincoln, NE
I cheer for any Iowa team just as long as they're not playing my Hawkeyes. In games pitting ISU versus UNI, that's when I occasionally have troubles discerning who I want to win. I guess I usually go with the team that I think needs the win more. If UNI is likely not going to contend for the title and ISU is struggling ... I usually root for ISU. However, if the game against ISU could help propel UNI to contend for the FCS national championship game ... then I root for UNI.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
You're not helping my crusade to prove that not all UNI alums such as myself, are hawkeye fans. :skeptical:

+1, ask panther06 who frequents this board and I think he will tell you he is far from a Hawk fan. Also a good story about a class I took at UNI "Football Theory" yes I know I loved to take challenging classes. Atif Austin was the teacher and his rule was no one was allowed Iowa gear to class...he said Iowa State gear was fine:wink:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I cheer for any Iowa team just as long as they're not playing my Hawkeyes. In games pitting ISU versus UNI, that's when I occasionally have troubles discerning who I want to win. I guess I usually go with the team that I think needs the win more. If UNI is likely not going to contend for the title and ISU is struggling ... I usually root for ISU. However, if the game against ISU could help propel UNI to contend for the FCS national championship game ... then I root for UNI.

I wouldn't think that a loss to ISU would ever hurt UNI's chances of making the playoffs, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
+1, ask panther06 who frequents this board and I think he will tell you he is far from a Hawk fan. Also a good story about a class I took at UNI "Football Theory" yes I know I loved to take challenging classes. Atif Austin was the teacher and his rule was no one was allowed Iowa gear to class...he said Iowa State gear was fine:wink:

That's pretty funny. I had a professor there that was just the opposite.

RocktheDome

Mar 3, 2008
Cedar Falls
I wouldn't think that a loss to ISU would ever hurt UNI's chances of making the playoffs, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

It absolutely hurts UNI's chances. Any loss hurts our chances of making the playoffs.

I can't believe some ISU fans honestly are so arrogant as to believe their are no die hard UNI fans (here's one right here), and non-Hawk UNI fans (again...right here).

The problem is UNI is not as widely publicized as Iowa or ISU, therefore we don't get the exposure, therefore the fans and the support that our two instate rivals get. So its hard for students from CR/IC and Des Moines/Ames to come to Cedar Falls and forget their ISU or Iowa past. It's just a different situation. But believe me, school spirit is at an all time high in Cedar Falls, and it is only getting stronger.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
And yes, I will own the College of Design. :biggrin:
Since it is basically owned by the state, the only way you are going to own the college of design is to work your way up the ranks of public office, greasing palms and putting key military officials in your pocket. Once you reach the office of president, use the military to enforce a miltary state, and declare yourself supreme dictator. This plan is definitely attainable since you graduated from Iowa State, because, let's face it, you'd have to be an idiot to vote for someone who went to Iowa.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It absolutely hurts UNI's chances. Any loss hurts our chances of making the playoffs.

I can't believe some ISU fans honestly are so arrogant as to believe their are no die hard UNI fans (here's one right here), and non-Hawk UNI fans (again...right here).

The problem is UNI is not as widely publicized as Iowa or ISU, therefore we don't get the exposure, therefore the fans and the support that our two instate rivals get. So its hard for students from CR/IC and Des Moines/Ames to come to Cedar Falls and forget their ISU or Iowa past. It's just a different situation. But believe me, school spirit is at an all time high in Cedar Falls, and it is only getting stronger.

The point is that loss to Iowa is expected, and since they usually play each other very early in the season, it's reasonable to assume that UNI will recover and go on to have a playoff year.

Same kind of principle as a team favored to get the BCS championship losing early in the year - they have enough time to recover and get there anyway.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
The point is that loss to Iowa is expected, and since they usually play each other very early in the season, it's reasonable to assume that UNI will recover and go on to have a playoff year.

Same kind of principle as a team favored to get the BCS championship losing early in the year - they have enough time to recover and get there anyway.

I am fairly confident that we would have made the playoffs in '06 if we did not lose to Iowa State by one point. FCS teams are not expected to win those games, but they still hurt when lost.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
That is because you and many others live in the hawkeye bubble where you cannot fathom the very idea that somebody could not love the hawkeyes.

Put it this way, I don't know of any Hawkeye fans that aren't douchebags. That doesn't mean there aren't some out there. If you are not, than that is one.

Last edited:

pttb

Jul 18, 2006
Die hard Panther fan right here. Didn't grow up a Hawk or Clone. Became a UNI fan, and have stayed that way! :)