Question for those at the game

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I listened to bits and pieces of last night's game and was stunned at the end to hear Blythe didn't have a catch. Was this due to UNLV's double & triple teaming, or was Blythe getting open and Myer just not getting the ball to him?

ekim121

Apr 13, 2006
The first time we tried to throw to him it was picked off becuase there was a defender just sitting underneath of the route. On a third and forever we threw it up for Blythe and the DB was inside his jersey and Blythe couldn't really make a play. Other than that I think there were a couple other plays designed for Blythe where he just wasn't open. The only really frustrating play was when we were in the red zone and had Blythe and Davis lined up to either side, and then we throw a fade........to DAVIS?!? What a surprise when it's incomplete...see Missouri game from two years ago for an exact replay, except in the Missouri game it was picked off.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I thought there were several times that UNLV lined up with man coverage where either Meyer or the staff should have recognized it and switched the routes up to expose it. There was another pass thrown to Blythe where he was wide open but Meyer over threw him badly but other than the pick I don't remember any other throws his way. Seemed like Davis and Sumerall where the only ones going on deep routes and Meyer didn't see a wide open Sumerall on one of his deep patterns too so who knows where the problem lies, Meyer not finding open guys or the staff not running the right plays.

findyourhomefyd

Sep 10, 2006
There is no way around it, our offense is not using its talents. Blythe was underthrown for an interception and was tangled in a defender to prevent route completion leading to an incomplete pass.
I can understand where the frustration to the coaching staff and team is coming from. Who knows, if the game was called by the Daily staff the rest of the team would never hit the field, it would be meyer to blythe, meyer to blythe, meyer to blythe.... But I think I stand with most of fans in saying that our play calling has not catered to our strengths. I am a firm believer that if we can punish teams that are crowding the line to stop hicks by throwing to one of the best receivers in the nation, it only makes since to do so.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yeah we as 54th best in Sagarin ratings whipped the 86th best team in the country at home after crushing Toledo as the 109th best team
Lucky we do not play IOweU the 16th best until the third game. We just need to warm up a bit.