Question for any woodworkers here

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Nice, I will definitely look into that.

Another big question I have now that I think about it is do you all do anything special for you electrical in your shop? I have not really had any issues yet because I haven't been running multiple things at once but as I grow I am thinking it is an issue that I should probably be mindful of.

Are all your outlets in this room on one circuit?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
More power to you. Husband just had to have a table saw about 15 years ago. It’s still in the unopened box on my laundry sorting table.
Count your blessings! We had to build the Garagemahal to house all of PapaLew's "toys"...
In his defense, however, he definitely makes use of all of them.

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When I first glanced at this title I thought it said, "Question for any Woodpeckers her". Probably wouldn't have gotten many responses to that.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Concerning dust collection, I have a Delta with 4" PVC drain piping that works pretty good. I also have a "Thein" style separator. I also have a ceiling mounted Delta air cleaner that works pretty good. Although a lot of tools from Harbor Freight are questionable (some good, some OK, some to stay away from), the Harbor Freight dust collector has gotten high ratings, especially considering the cost. If you want, check out www.sawmillcreek.org, scroll down to dust collection, and there'll be more information that you care for - but a very good source.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
180 isn't too bad. I could probably swing that at some point. How big is that bag? I assume it would hold more sawdust than a shop vac?

I do love the woodsmith store, it is a dangerous place though because you can spend a lot of money in a hurry.
It inflates a little when you flip the power switch. I'd say roughly 1.5' wide by 2.5' tall.

I do like the Woodsmith store a lot as well. Most everything is MSRP but they know their crap. They do mailers for sales and discounts, and also give a DSM woodworkers club discount. Ace, Sherwin Williams does as well.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
It inflates a little when you flip the power switch. I'd say roughly 1.5' wide by 2.5' tall.

I do like the Woodsmith store a lot as well. Most everything is MSRP but they know their crap. They do mailers for sales and discounts, and also give a DSM woodworkers club discount. Ace, Sherwin Williams does as well.

Interesting, I will have to look into the club and also see if i can get on the coupon mailer train.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
That's a good question, to be honest I have not thought about that so I don't know.

If you're like me, when working in the shop, I'll have the old school shop stereo going, some batteries on chargers, the shop vac turned on in addition to the power tool I'm currently using. For most single circuits,that's going to pop the breaker.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
If you're like me, when working in the shop, I'll have the old school shop stereo going, some batteries on chargers, the shop vac turned on in addition to the power tool I'm currently using. For most single circuits,that's going to pop the breaker.

Yep that is usually me minus the stereo. Haven't set one up yet, mostly because I usually have hearing protection in.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I gave up a Jeep habit for a woodworking habit (thought it might be cheaper:D) and it hasn’t gotten as far as almost anyone in this thread but it’s getting there. I’ve learned to buy tools out of necessity and be creative with what you’re working with. It ends up making you a better craftsman but I’ve always done things on the cheap and only bought tools when necessary.

I couldn’t imagine doing woodwork in a basement without a good dust collector unless you’re doing everything without power tools. That’d be the first investment I’d recommend. Currently, I just hook up the shop vac to each tool with an attachment but I’m also working out of a garage.

My recommendation is to only buy quality tools but only when there’s no other option in your shop. Be creative and have fun with it. It probably won’t make you any money outside of your own house because people only buy cheap **** anymore.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have a nice dust collector, but never really got around to running the plumbing for it. In the end I just bought some small, cheap shop vacs and hooked them to my machines. Probably not a good as a system, but convenient. Generally if I am doing a lot of cutting or sanding, I do it outside in the grass and let nature take care of it.

Cyisone

Apr 11, 2006
71qy3aSxdFL._SL1500_.jpg

I have this one and love it. Stops dust down to 1 micron. Relatively quite as well. Also has two ports so you can have two tools hooked up at once. Look at the power ratings as you want enough power for the equipment you purchase down the road. Something like a planer or jointer require more suction.

4 cyclones

Jul 25, 2016
Build a box to house a squirrel fan to collect dust and put furnace filters on intake screens.

I have been slowly picking up woodworking as a hobby. I recently made an outfeed table for my table saw and have plans for a flip cart for my planer and jointer as well as a miter saw station in the works. I am also looking at doing a french cleat wall at some point. Does anyone have any other recommendations for simple shop upgrades?

Also, I have been looking into dust collection but don't have the budget for anything crazy. Does anyone have any good and inexpensive methods/upgrades for this? Right now I am just rocking a regular old shop vac.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I have been slowly picking up woodworking as a hobby. I recently made an outfeed table for my table saw and have plans for a flip cart for my planer and jointer as well as a miter saw station in the works. I am also looking at doing a french cleat wall at some point. Does anyone have any other recommendations for simple shop upgrades?

Also, I have been looking into dust collection but don't have the budget for anything crazy. Does anyone have any good and inexpensive methods/upgrades for this? Right now I am just rocking a regular old shop vac.

Pinterest is full of ideas for storage and organization along with plans for projects, jigs, and templates.

Reactions: CyJeans

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

As for the dust collection, have you checked Craig’s list? A lot of hobbyists buy stuff they don’t end up using and sell it later barely used and for a large discount. You can also find listings for larger shops selling off stuff as they are upgrading equipment or closing up shop.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yep that is usually me minus the stereo. Haven't set one up yet, mostly because I usually have hearing protection in.

I use an Anker Soundcore in my shop. It's compact and carries a nice sound. I can't hear it with hearing protection on, but otherwise, it's a great little speaker for a low price.

f81X8A

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Pinterest is full of ideas for storage and organization along with plans for projects, jigs, and templates.

It is pretty much all I use instagram for. I follow a lot of people anywhere from those who just have home shops to those who do it professionally.