Question for any woodworkers here

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I have been slowly picking up woodworking as a hobby. I recently made an outfeed table for my table saw and have plans for a flip cart for my planer and jointer as well as a miter saw station in the works. I am also looking at doing a french cleat wall at some point. Does anyone have any other recommendations for simple shop upgrades?

Also, I have been looking into dust collection but don't have the budget for anything crazy. Does anyone have any good and inexpensive methods/upgrades for this? Right now I am just rocking a regular old shop vac.

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I have been slowly picking up woodworking as a hobby. I recently made an outfeed table for my table saw and have plans for a flip cart for my planer and jointer as well as a miter saw station in the works. I am also looking at doing a french cleat wall at some point. Does anyone have any other recommendations for simple shop upgrades?

Also, I have been looking into dust collection but don't have the budget for anything crazy. Does anyone have any good and inexpensive methods/upgrades for this? Right now I am just rocking a regular old shop vac.

I would definitely put together some sort of dust collection. I use a shop vac with an Oneida dust deputy separator. I've stacked them on a simple cart similar to Jay Bates design (https://jayscustomcreations.com/2015/01/make-a-shopvac-and-cyclone-shop-cart/). Not the best solution, but it's cheap and mobile.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I have this for dust collection. Cheap ($180) and it can hang off the wall vs taking up floor space.
g0710-fce43d7da4246ede3bc1a361e961907d.jpg

I reduced the intake diameter with a 4 to 2, you can buy that at Woodsmith store (and other places).
I then bought a very heavy duty 2 inch vac hose because that's the diameter for my Ridgid miter saw, planer, and Bosch table saw.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Have you made a workbench yet? Clamp storage? Router table?

No on the workbench, that was probably an obvious one. The clamp storage is a good one, I also need to work on acquiring more clamps. I have a off the shelf bosch router table, it isn't perfect but making one is probably low on my priority list for the moment.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I have this for dust collection. Cheap ($180) and it can hang off the wall vs taking up floor space.
g0710-fce43d7da4246ede3bc1a361e961907d.jpg

I reduced the intake diameter with a 4 to 2, you can buy that at Woodsmith store (and other places).
I then bought a very heavy duty 2 inch vac hose because that's the diameter for my Ridgid miter saw, planer, and Bosch table saw.

180 isn't too bad. I could probably swing that at some point. How big is that bag? I assume it would hold more sawdust than a shop vac?

I do love the woodsmith store, it is a dangerous place though because you can spend a lot of money in a hurry.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Where's your shop? In the house (basement), garage, separate building? If you're in the house, absolutely need dust collection. Otherwise the shop vac moving from tool to tool works fine. Spend your money on good tools. ;) You'll find that as you build projects, your tool collection just kind of grows with it.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Where's your shop? In the house (basement), garage, separate building? If you're in the house, absolutely need dust collection. Otherwise the shop vac moving from tool to tool works fine. Spend your money on good tools. ;) You'll find that as you build projects, your tool collection just kind of grows with it.

It is in my basement. I have an split level house with an under garage. The basement is off of the garage but under the main part of the house. I don't have a ton of floor space so I am trying to keep everything mobile, compact/collapsible, and flexible. I like the idea of a simple dust collection cart but given the basement situation I am thinking something like the Grizzly system JP posted might be a more worthwhile investment.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah, making dust collection that's meant to be stationary work for a mobile shop is an extra challenge. Have you installed any overhead filter boxes? Those help to keep the fine stuff from finding it's way into the home HVAC system.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Yeah, making dust collection that's meant to be stationary work for a mobile shop is an extra challenge. Have you installed any overhead filter boxes? Those help to keep the fine stuff from finding it's way into the home HVAC system.

No, hadn't really thought about that to be honest. Right now I have a shop vac and a respirator mask and that's pretty much how I deal with it haha.

Any recommendations on brands or what I should look at for this?

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Yes, I have a pocket hole jig from them and I just picked up their circular saw track so I can break down plywood sheets more effectively. I do like their products.
That one was my most recent acquisition as well. I also have the concealed hinge jig. Can never have enough clamps either.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
No, hadn't really thought about that to be honest. Right now I have a shop vac and a respirator mask and that's pretty much how I deal with it haha.

Any recommendations on brands or what I should look at for this?

Jet makes an affordable one. I thought about adding another to my shop and came across this.

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 26

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Jet makes an affordable one. I thought about adding another to my shop and came across this.

Nice, I will definitely look into that.

Another big question I have now that I think about it is do you all do anything special for you electrical in your shop? I have not really had any issues yet because I haven't been running multiple things at once but as I grow I am thinking it is an issue that I should probably be mindful of.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I would definitely put together some sort of dust collection. I use a shop vac with an Oneida dust deputy separator. I've stacked them on a simple cart similar to Jay Bates design (https://jayscustomcreations.com/2015/01/make-a-shopvac-and-cyclone-shop-cart/). Not the best solution, but it's cheap and mobile.
I use this same setup & based my cart off Jay's as well.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably just spend a little more for the harbor freight dust collector - but the shop vac gets the job done.

Help Support Us

Become a patron