Help: Question about rep (green bar)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It looks like the "User Stats" section is not in working order. Based off of Jer's post, it looks like it may take some server power to compile it - I wonder if that's why it got powered down.

It's more than likely never coming back. People would either leave horribly negative, attacking comments in other people's rep (it still happens, but less often), or would gang up and always neg rep a certain person/group. It's an incredible burden on the mod team, and there was a TON of complaining.

How about taking away the ability to comment? Just up or down.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How about taking away the ability to comment? Just up or down.

I think that would take away all rep comments, however (good or bad), which a lot of posters find a lot more helpful/valuable than the actual numeric value.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The problem with negative rep is people would be more wiling to dole it out out of frustration that someone doesn't agree with them. I don't think it would be good to bring back. I just think that would get out of hand. I use rep pretty sparingly and only when I feel it really is deserved. I am no so sure I would be the same with negative rep.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How about limitations on the amount that can be given? Two positive and two negative per day?

I just don't see it coming back at all - people might save up their two to be really big jerks. :) It was just really a bad thing from a moderation standpoint, since there isn't an easy way to report rep. Like yaman said - it got infectious.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How about limitations on the amount that can be given? Two positive and two negative per day?

Maybe that would work. I still think negative rep would take over. I just wish it was harder to appear as highly reped than it is.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I liked the idea that someone came up with last year to basically model our posts after facebook where people can decide to "like" someone else's post. This would eliminate the "+1" that we get now where someone quotes a long post to just say that he likes it and would reduce thread size. I may also help make the rep more valuable.